Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ames Research Facility, Kepler Space

Ames was never a favorite location of his but it seemed favorable. A former Interspace Commerce rep wanted to join his Enterprise. He had no sooner finished processing the famous Dr. Hans Von Goeben into his employ when this young lady, Jill Xi, approached him. He was a little suspicious. In a time where people would rather fight for control, territory and prestige, it was always refreshing to find someone else who was willing to take a new path.

The application was from a pharmaceutical standpoint. While the Enterprise enjoyed creating new medicines and treatments of their own, he could use someone who was well versed in this department. With only a picture, he had little to go on. He ordered a Scotch and sat by a window that he could watch passing traffic, the distant radiation clouds and keep an eye on who was coming and going. At one table across the way sat a lone Xeno while at another was a Bounty Hunter and still at another was a Lane Hacker fixer. All was quiet...for now. His instructions to the bartender were to send his client to him.

Scotch in hand and an appetizer of chips and salsa, he sat quietly waiting, going through a few files on his datapad while he waited.
Ames Research Station, Kepler, Independent Worlds

As the airlock doors close behind her she pauses for a moment in a corridor filled with people seemingly going about their business. Knowing very well this wasn't her first job interview she realized that there was a 'healthy dose' of excitement in her. "Get a grip of yourself girl" she tells herself as she starts to make her way to the bar.

As busy as the corridors where, so quiet does it seem in the bar. It's probably the time of day where the slightly dimmed lights combined with the tall windows provide a breathtaking view of space. It reminded her of the oceanic sights back home for it was simply a memory of where she grew up and would always feel at peace.

Her solitary thought faded quickly as she was approached by the bartender. "Good day miss, welcome at Ames Station, my name is Alex" And as he points to a person sitting near the windows he adds: "Your contact is expecting you, would you care for a drink?".

As she orders a gin-tonic and thanks the bartender she approaches the man near the windows and as he slowly comes into her view she smiles and stretches out her hand. "Dr. Holliday I presume. I hope I have not kept you waiting all that long, my name is Jill, good to meet you".

He saw the young lady walk up to the bartender. She matched the picture but he still waited for her to arrive.
"Dr. Holliday I presume. I hope I have not kept you waiting all that long, my name is Jill, good to meet you".
He stood up and smiled, accepting her handshake. "Doctor John Holliday. It is an honor to meet you. Please, have a seat."
About this time her drink arrived. Doc just turned to the bartender, "Put it on my tab." He just nodded and went about his business.
He turned back to Jill. "I trust that your trip here was uneventful. It is the one thing I like about Ames, very little happens here and your timing was perfect as I arrived about ten minutes ago."

He pulled up her file. "Interspace Commerce. Not easy work no doubt nor is learning to be be a pharmacist."
He put down his datapad. "We create a lot of our own medicines through research and experimentation. It does not always work but we have had some success. I do some business with Cryer but I try not to compete if you know what I mean."
He sipped his Scotch, "We are all over Sirius and in Gallia. We do not always have access to a ready route of drugs so we have to develop a lot of our own. Our mission is one of humanitarian means so it impresses me that we share something in common. Wealth is nice but it does not always make one happy."

"You would be on that team that develops and researches medicines," he continued. "What do you think so far before i continue with expectations and benefits?"

The gin-tonic helped to ease of that 'dose of excitement' which she had. It had always bothered her that this always came back when she least needed it. She had heard stories of 'The Doc' and even though some were obviously over the top the stories of a charming fellow with a positive yet business mentality now proved to be most accurate.

As they talked about her previous experiences she felt a certain calmness come over her. Could it have been the gin-tonic or was it merely the sincerity and the easy way of rapport building? Suffice to say she felt at ease and found her determination to join MedForce strengthened by this meeting.

And then the Doc asked her on what she was thinking thus far and only when he mentioned expectations and benefits she realised this was going well.

"I am very positive that you trust me to make an impact on your pharmaceutical division, as am I certain that with a good team of pharmacists and pharmaceutical engineers I can improve the medications while not competing with Cryer. In fact, even though my non-disclosure agreement with Cryer has ended I have a lot of good contacts there and I'm sure Cryer is willing to help out where their profits aren't jeopardised."

She took another sip of her gin-tonic and watched the Doc ponder for a moment. He was a striking figure to say the least, well-groomed, fashionably dressed but not overdoing it. His eyes we're speaking of trust and determination and at that moment she was even more determined she wanted to work for MedForce Enterprises. She quickly added:

"Doctor, I would love to work for you for I have the solemn belief that I can be a welcome addition to your enterprise and when you agree with this let us talk about me working for you"

Her 'excitement' seemed to be a million years away as she finished her sentence. Yes, this was a next step into the future, her future whichever way it may go. And as she looked into space out of the large windows the Universe seemed at peace, and she felt at peace too. What a great gin-tonic that was.

He nodded. "And a fine addition to my pharmaceutical division you will be. I do not see Cryer as competition nor do I want to compete with them. Rather, I would rather a mutually beneficial relationship. That will be one of your assignments. All I ask is that any communications you direct toward them have a CC on it for me."
He sipped his Scotch. He didn't know her besides what was in front of him and what she had told him but he just wanted to make sure that something of her past, if anything, would be a problem.

"I have a couple of things to ask of you. First, you will need a ship, something non-combat, in which to fly the Med Force tag. If you intend to traverse within house space, a transport or something would be a benefit. It is not really a question as much as it is a requirement. But what I would need to know is of your past. Is there anything that might jeopardize the mission? We work in some hostile space and I just do not want that to be an issue. Of course, you having a Zoner transponder on your ship will help that."

He just relaxed, allowing her to answer. It was all that he wanted to make her employment official.

Sipping her gin-tonic she admired the directness of the doctor for clear, direct communications and transparency we're always her style. She thought back of the picture that was hanging on the wall at her grandmother's house. It was a picture of Gaian Wildlife with a text underneath saying: "Lead, follow or get the hell away".

Her grandmother had always been her favorite for she was a powerful woman very much shaped by the many years she served in the military. Her stories and presence definitely made her a character not to trifle with even for a small woman no taller than 160cms. Her grandmother was a role model for sure and inspired her to be strong and just.

It did not take her long to think about the good doctor's question for she knew exactly what he asked of her and she responded quickly:

"Yes doctor, I too am one who is in favor of clear communications and it goes without saying that I will keep you informed of any and all activities I would undertake as a member of Med Force.

Regarding obtaining a vessel, I can acquire one fairly quickly when you send me the details of preferred vessels and as to answer your last inquiry, I solemnly belief that there is nothing which could jeopardize Med Force should you decide to hire me. My reputation and work history are solid and I have no skeletons in the closet. I hope that us meeting face-to-face today can be the testament of my willingness and determination to work for you."

And with that sentence she was sure she had mentioned it all and as she finished her drink she leaned in a bit, eager to hear the doctor's response to what, in her mind, seemed like a long monologue but then again, it pays out to be a bit bold at times. Just like her granny would say and this brought an instant smile to her face.

Doc nodded his approval to her answers. He felt that she would be a good fit.
"For you, I think a ship that allows you to work in house space. A yacht, a transport or something to that effect. They can be made to accomodate laboratories and such, haul the goods you would need and still have room to work. I will leave that choice as to which ship it will be up to you."

He then stood up and extended his hand, "Miss Xi, welcome to Med Force Enterprises. You are hereby appointed to work with the pharmaceutical research and development team. Once you decide what ship to fly, let me know and please, keep an eye on comms as it is where information for all is posted."