Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Blacklight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: XI40LJo.png]

The air was arid and the wind slightly unforgiving, but Nottingham's weather was always like that since the day it was first found. Wilford, the main city, while protected by natural outcrops, still felt it harshly. Nearby the center, a museum to the Gallic War was erected, with the statue of Duchess Kaze Dagon at its forefront. Done in black marble, native to Nottingham, it was a massive, classical style statue. The body, face and poise was similar to the image of posters that circled around during the height of the last years of the war, taken during the battle of Otley, in Planet Leeds. Some tokens were at its feet, and many people filled the central square, one of the many hubs of the city. A female Armed Forces officer, in particular, was slightly far off, looking at it from some distance. Her eyes that were looking at the statue, noticing the detail Dagon never had a flag on her hand during that battle, focused on a man that was at its feet. Recognizing him, she walked through the crowd and placed herself near his side. "Herr Keller." She said without taking her eyes from the statue.
Keller had his head bowed ever so slightly, only giving his sudden acquaintance the briefest of glances. In truth it seemed like she'd interrupted him while paying respects, quite rudely in fact, yet no annoyance either facial or auditory came in response to it. He concluded that he'd become widely known after all the recent publicity. It had been a gift and a curse thus far, his wedding was likely going to be raided by enterprising paparazzi. Calmly, he addressed the woman that just approached him. "How can I help you stranger?" He queried in an unusually kind tone, lacking his more typical monotone vocalization. These days he was in a much better mood, it was no mystery as to why, he was due to be happily married very soon. Despite the hurdles and mistakes he'd made along the way, he was living the life he wanted to now. Still, the kindness seemed like a veil for inherent ruthlessness and a lust for violent justice. The kind he'd become all too keen in the pursuit of.
He was different, no doubt. Appeared to be calm. Smooth. The edges.. weren't clear. With a smile, she nodded towards the statue. "Paying your respects?" Putting both her hands in her pockets, she attempted to remove any trace that she was a menace to him.
A slow nod came first, quicker than a verbal response could be formulated, he also seemed to think for a moment as if finding something about the situation a little off kilter. "Yes. She was a friend. I also wanted to leave her this." With a fluid hand motion he presented his acquaintance with a wedding invitation, it was specifically addressed to Dagon. It was likely that he intended to leave it at the foot of her memorial, as if to invite her posthumously so that she could attend in spirit. His smile remained, faint and likely to depart if prompted to, but persistent for the moment. Yet his eyes told a different story, sharpness and focus. The sort of thing you'd see in a killer, it was the only feature of his that betrayed a cold and more primal nature.

Once the gesture was made, he waited to see if his acquaintance would take the invitation from him and examine it for clarity on why he was here.
Nodding silently as if questioning if she could see it, Keller silently nodded back in reply. The invite was simple, but the action in itself make it invaluable. Handing back the invite with a smile, she finally spoke. "I think she would like that very much." Both of them turned to look at the statue. "Kind of grandstanding isn't it? She would have hated it, no doubt." Her eyebrow rose in the realization and she turned to Keller. "Congratulations are in order, it seems."
Looking back at the monument Keller seemed to ponder if such a grand token of gratitude for her actions was something his late friend would have appreciated in life. He smiled more widely when he felt like he'd uncovered the answer. "She would have most likely called it a waste of time and resources. For an officer of her caliber, her uniform was remarkably undecorated. I think that despite that, with all that she did and ultimately sacrificed, she deserves to have this. A giant medal to make up for all the ones she never received." He was conveniently leaving out the fact that he intended to finish what she started, with Exeter first and all its ungrateful, selfish and profiteering insurgents.

The implication of congratulations didn't evoke much of a response from him, or maybe the only congratulations he needed had already been received. "Thank you, but please don't let me keep you. I'm finishing up, planning to be home early. Family is still getting settled, it's been a big move and I want to make sure it isn't rough on them." Carefully, he placed the card back into a pocket and tried to go about his business. He closed his eyes and bowed his head again, as if praying for his friend to find peace.
She looked up at the statue and spoke without diverting her eyes. "So, how did you found Ms. Bom-Sol?" She didn't even had to look at Keller to know the sharpness and raw instinct of the fighter he was, would be visible in his face acknowledging a threat at first contact.
He didn't stop with what he was doing, nor did he open his eyes but the question was heard and he went through a brief recollection of that meeting in order to provide an accurate answer. This sudden interest, motivated selection to pick him out in a crowd and then potentially sensitive questions were making him suspicious. "At a bar. She was a waitress, back then I worked for the Coalition. She had every reason to hate me given her ancestry but she didn't. I was actually there to meet with somebody else, but Kira made me realize, albeit not immediately, who I really was. We met by chance, a chance I'm grateful for." Having departed the Coalition some time ago, Keller seemed to have rediscovered his faith, as was evidenced by the eventual conclusion of his prayer with his hand deftly making a motion to denote a crucifix on his chest.

His eyes were opened again, and now he had actively begun to evaluate the situation. They were in public, swift and brutal violence was not an option for him, especially with a justification of mere suspicion. The stranger wore a uniform but could have just as likely lifted it from a corpse. Leaving was an option, but he felt she'd follow. That seemed like a more attractive alternative given the ability to bait her somewhere secluded before taking precautionary measures. There was still time for assessment however, but the potential of this woman being an agent for one of his scorned old comrades was not something Keller felt he could overlook. He knew better than that. "You didn't tell me your name." He mentioned abruptly, still with that smile even if the machine behind his sharp green eyes contemplated the most efficient course for murder.
A small smirk came onto her lips. Looking back at Keller, her blue eyes were friendly. "Commander Wake. Agnes Augusta Wake." Her eyes turned up again, like she didn't acknowledge that Keller was a threat. "I take it the wedding will be here in Nottingham?" She stopped looking at the statue and looked again at Keller. For a tenth of a second, her eyes focused on something behind him. "Pitty. I hear that Planet Eire is wonderful this time of the year." Without notice, she turned around and walked away towards one of the empty sideway square accesses.
A frown took control of his countenance for the time being and Keller tailed the stranger with determination, to the stray observer Keller was engrossed in checking his watch but was in reality providing commands to an armored transport nearby. While that ship screamed through commercial airspace at speeds exceeding the speed limit, Keller brushed and bumped his way past the crowd and eventually made it to the entrance of the alley the stranger was walking through. She turned a corner just then and it prompted Keller to sprint, muscles tensing and blood pressure spiking. But he'd be left confused by the presence of nobody after he'd taken the bend with a slight skid. He cussed under his breath but began to hear footsteps approaching behind him.

Somebody had followed him, it seemed. A man dressed in all black, and with the mannerisms of an agent. Wake was quite literally in his wake and closing fast, but Keller pointed at the man with a scowl, who seemed quite bewildered at the gesture and a sudden howl in the air above him. It was right about when Wake reached out for this man that a pod rammed down on top of him and threw her backwards. From where Wake was involuntarily seated, the back of the pod seemed to open up, with Keller walking into it before the front did the same. Rather than seeing Keller exit it, he'd emerged fulled geared up in the combat-infiltration suit he previously donned as Krsnik. Some minor modifications had been made for the sake of weight reduction, and of course a little bit of vandalism to replace the communist propaganda with Bretonian emblems. The revolutionary red had also bowed out and been replaced with a deep PTE-series blue.

"Talk." He commanded with a snarl, politeness was a foregone conclusion when his safety was apparently been threatened by unknown assailants, he was no longer thinking of just himself or acting in defense of a position. Heinrich considered him a wolf at the door, he now had a pack to protect. And an ensnared wolf was more than willing to tear its own paw off if it meant returning to the pack. Spines and ones besides his own were an appropriate substitute in this situation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4