Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Event naming convention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be helpful to have a naming convention for events.

Current events:

Quote:[OS&C Trade Event] Opperation Helping Hand [12.04.2020 to 26.04.2020

[Loot Event] - It's In The Cards.

MINI EVENT: Holstein Skirmish Saturday April 11th 1800-1900

Operation Armageddon Phase 3

Trade Convoy, Sunday 5th April, 8pm CET/6pm UTC

Operation Jackhammer: Part I - Enclave vs Crayter/Natio | Saturday, Mar. 21 19:00 GMT

[DD.MM at 00:00] Title (ID, ID, ID)

Quote:[12.04 - 26/04] Operation Helping Hand (All)

[18.04 at 18:00] It's In The Cards (GC, Freelancer)

[11.04 at 18:00] Holstein Skirmish (Federalist Forces, Imperialist Forces)

[18.01 at 18:00] Operation Armageddon Phase 3 (Order, BD, IMG, Bundschuh, Coalition, Vagrant, K’hara)

[05.04 at 18:00] Trade Convoy (House trading factions, IMG, Red Hessians, Pirates, BDM)

[21.03 ta 19:00] Operation Jackhammer: Part I (Enclave, Crayter, Natio)

1st you want to know you can attend the time.
2nd you want to know the event background.
3rd you want to know if you have a ship for it.

Edit: Another proposal regarding merging multiple event subforums: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=178568
I am not sure whether your version would fit the thread name character limit however.
I mean, I guess putting event details in the thread title can't do any harm, but It really doesn't matter. if you want to know the time, background and ship, you can always just open the thread.
(04-17-2020, 11:24 AM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]I mean, I guess putting event details in the thread title can't do any harm, but It really doesn't matter. if you want to know the time, background and ship, you can always just open the thread.

Basics of UI design. We should look at ways to limit the number of actions a user must take. More people are more likely to know what events they can and can't participate in, if essential information can be found on the subforum main page.
[18.01 at 18:00] Operation Armageddon Phase 3 (Order, BD, IMG, Bundschuh, Coalition, Vagrant, K’hara)

Stuff like this would never work on all resolutions I guess, because you'd end up just having the first few things as preview
Imagine you're browsing via phone or tablet and [18.01 at 18:00].... is the only thing you can see
If someone isn't going to even open the thread, I don't think I want them at the event inevitably cocking things up, which they will inevitably do because obviously they are stupid.

If someone wants to put things in their titles then sure, no problem, but having some kind of enforced convention like this would be unnecessary and trying to fix what ain't broke. There are a million more things that do require actual fixing that could do with the effort being put into them instead.
(04-17-2020, 11:35 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ][18.01 at 18:00] Operation Armageddon Phase 3 (Order, BD, IMG, Bundschuh, Coalition, Vagrant, K’hara)

Stuff like this would never work on all resolutions I guess, because you'd end up just having the first few things as preview
Imagine you're browsing via phone or tablet and [18.01 at 18:00].... is the only thing you can see

On my phone (S9 with Chrome), the forum does not scale so entire thread titles are always shown. How does it work on your phone?
(04-17-2020, 11:36 AM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]If someone isn't going to even open the thread, I don't think I want them at the event inevitably cocking things up, which they will inevitably do because obviously they are stupid.

If someone wants to put things in their titles then sure, no problem, but having some kind of enforced convention like this would be unnecessary and trying to fix what ain't broke. There are a million more things that do require actual fixing that could do with the effort being put into them instead.

Users not opening the many threads is not down to stupidity and you know it isn't.

And it would not require effort. The ship selling subforum already has a convention. It doesn't need to be strict but just encouraged. People would quickly follow the crowd and all future threads would organically follow suit.