Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Closed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Closed.
Just a small observation. Since Coalition, for better or worse, has established lore of communism as ideology, naming the ship or its class "imperator" is a bit hypocritical. Every House has something of their identity put into ships, e.g. Kusari naming the ship's class "Tokugawa" after a famous shogun.

For Coalition, as it seems, naming should be relevant either to the constituent nations, or the ideology, or existing naming conventions (like atmospheric patterns - storm, typhoon, hurricane, tempest). There is a "TSAR" forward gun, however, but that is relevant to the Russian culture and is a reference to real "Tsar"-cannon.

However, that is just a small ramble fyi. If you enjoy your naming and RP - good for you and carry on. Having fun is the most important.
(04-19-2020, 04:49 AM)Monsieur Baguette Wrote: [ -> ]Just a small observation. Since Coalition, for better or worse, has established lore of communism as ideology, naming the ship or its class "imperator" is a bit hypocritical. Every House has something of their identity put into ships, e.g. Kusari naming the ship's class "Tokugawa" after a famous shogun.

For Coalition, as it seems, naming should be relevant either to the constituent nations, or the ideology, or existing naming conventions (like atmospheric patterns - storm, typhoon, hurricane, tempest). There is a "TSAR" forward gun, however, but that is relevant to the Russian culture and is a reference to real "Tsar"-cannon.

However, that is just a small ramble fyi. If you enjoy your naming and RP - good for you and carry on. Having fun is the most important.

Thank you for the feedback and might I say I really like your name and photo. I had a good laugh!

I wanted to be a bit different and have a naming scheme that is not so common among the Coalition Forces. if it becomes a problem Im sure I can take a closer look at what other names would suit this ship.
I don't think it is a problem, just saying that due to being communists, Coalition in principle should loathe and fight against everything related to monarchy, including imperators, i.e. imperialism that was directly made an adverse ideology in communist manifesto.
(04-19-2020, 08:07 AM)Monsieur Baguette Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it is a problem, just saying that due to being communists, Coalition in principle should loathe and fight against everything related to monarchy, including imperators, i.e. imperialism that was directly made an adverse ideology in communist manifesto.

Well in this meaning its not meant to represent monarchy. Its just a name I thought would sound threatning inrp.
Call him Zimbabwe, it will suit it better than the Imperator. Gosh, why you didn't call your LPI Atlantis 'Comrade Nakimov'? It's just a name, after all
(04-19-2020, 08:22 AM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]Call him Zimbabwe, it will suit it better than the Imperator. Gosh, why you didn't call your LPI Atlantis 'Comrade Nakimov'? It's just a name, after all

cant tell if your being sarcastic or not...

yeah some names just dont fit the faction your in. If Imperator really impedes the RP I can always change it.
Don't take Starlancer as example of commie naming convention, it's typical klykva made for memes, like 'Tsar'-class cannons at hurricane or so. Good examples of the things which can be used it's even the name I used for my Vidar - the Varyag (Varangian in English). SCEC has Great Comrade, which means something in the Russian language but after adaptation to English lost any sense.

Try to look around, use toponyms, like Caucasia, Elbrus, etc, but not a damn imperial title. Believe me, it's like LNS Comrade or RNC (it's RNC, not RWK) Anna Heinrich (hi Weskie)
Well, let us deconstruct the name.

"Navarin" - was a Russian pre-dreadnought age ship and unlike "Emperor Alexander" was not named after an emperor. However, the name is still Russian, so might be ok, although it is tsarist. Calling a communist warship "imperator", however, is like calling a Nazi warship "Tolerance" - that is rather comical and certainly would not look fierce because of the cognitive dissonance it would engender.

If you care about the quality of your RP and intend to interact with Coalition ofs a lot - then I would consider renaming. If you just want to farm missions and test the ship - don't bother.
Imperator in communism faction... sounds great
Pages: 1 2 3 4