Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Return Angels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let's be honest, with every passing week, month, year, there are less and less players.

In the past few days, I saw a few new players who introduced themselves, were friendly and polite, and the "elite" of the community offered them little to no help. You can go ahead and tell me that players aren't obliged to help newbies, but then, why remove the group whose sole purpose was doing just that?

Discovery isn't a beginner friendly game, you need a lot of time to settle and get used to all the rules. So why can't we help the people who need it the most? If they are left to learn by themselves, most of them will give up as soon as they find out that disco is more complex than they thought (and nobody told them that before). They are happily wandering through space, when suddenly, couple of players with 5+ years of experience hit them with a bunch of rules that they are violating and threaten to report them. You are scaring them away. Is this really the message you want to send to the ones that have started playing this mod?

If you don't want to help anyone, and just enjoy the game by yourself, that's fine. But look at the bigger picture: Do you find it great to RP with the same 30 people forever? Because the way this community is being treated, that's just what's gonna happen. It's already happening. I'm browsing through the forums, and I know every single name, because they never change, in fact, they have been the same for 5 years!

Not helping the new people that come here is the most selfish act ever. If everyone was like that, this game would have about.... 0 new players coming in. And who will you play with when everyone else decides it's time to move on? When your disco buddies find a job, get a wife/husband, children, with whom are you going to play?

Maybe many of you don't want to, but some of us still do want to help this game stay alive. I think that the return of the message upon connecting "Ask Angels for help" will be the first great step towards keeping this community alive.
Just help them. We do it all the time. You don't need a weird name tag.
(04-19-2020, 01:58 PM)Skorak Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need a weird name tag.

The thing is, you do need it. Because that way, players know who to talk to when they need help. They know they will recieve help, not get ignored.

(04-19-2020, 01:58 PM)Skorak Wrote: [ -> ]Just help them.

Nice one, but seems like the players aren't sticking to it. The statistics say everything

(04-19-2020, 01:58 PM)Skorak Wrote: [ -> ]We do it all the time.

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=178387
Do you really?
We don't need people who spend more time flashing their angel wings and halos than they spend helping new people, which anyone could do without flashing their angel wings and halos.

What we REALLY need is to make this game more beginner friendly, for which there are countless ways to do it (mining mechanics, rule rewrites, law rewrites, ingame help, expense/gear performance progression, noob friendly weapon types), but which the staff refuses to do mainly because of psychological reasons and disco's inherently bad social dynamics regarding pixel power.
(04-19-2020, 02:07 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]We don't need people who spend more time flashing their angel wings and halos than they spend helping new people, which anyone could do without flashing their angel wings and halos.

What we REALLY need is to make this game more beginner friendly, for which there are countless ways to do it (mining mechanics, rule rewrites, law rewrites, ingame help, expense/gear performance progression, noob friendly weapon types), but which the staff refuses to do mainly because of psychological reasons and disco's inherently bad social dynamics regarding pixel power.

Imagine hating new players this much
(04-19-2020, 02:25 PM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine hating new players this much

Imagine all the people...

Seriously, I'm for having the [ANGEL] tag back. It gave new players a point of reference to go to for help. Not to mention, unless it's been removed since I last played, it even states about the tag being a go to for new players.

Making the game noob friendly can only go so far, people will always have questions, and having people who know what they're talking about/doing with a clearly identified tag is a simple way of doing it.
(04-19-2020, 02:07 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]We don't need people who spend more time flashing their angel wings and halos than they spend helping new people, which anyone could do without flashing their angel wings and halos.

Well then don't take people like that to be angels. I don't understand the problem.

Why do we need presidents then, they just spend more time flashing their fancy suits and speeches than actually doing good for people. Why don't we burst into anarchy, it would be much better for us, right? And I already said it to Skorak, if there is a tag, people know that is where they can find their help, without it, how are they supposed to know which one is willing to help, and who is a jerk?

There is no reason not to return angels, except the "we don't give a damn" reason.
The [Helper] tag is free to be used.

Go right ahead if you think it'll help.
It's been a few days since I've returned and I've been seeing new players that don't exactly know about the fact it's an RP server, amongst other things. Having Angels back would be nice to guide such players and prevent awkward encounters like when they start using emojis in chat. I didn't even know Angels were removed Sad
(04-19-2020, 02:30 PM)devito Wrote: [ -> ]There is no reason not to return angels, except the "we don't give a damn" reason.

There is no reason to use an Angel tag while helping people other than flashing your angel wings and halo.

A name like "Ask.me.Anything" will attract more people needing help than an Angel tag which could be an irp vigilante faction or something.

And as I said before... there are much more efficient ways to make this mod more fun and attractive for new people. The real problem is that those arent being done.
Pages: 1 2 3