Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Re: Changing Reputation via Server Command
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Firstly, my main point, which is to ask:
Will a method to change Reputation to match certain Factions via Server Command ever be implemented?

Secondly, three reasons why I ask the question:
1.) Under the premise that this is an RP server and its supposed to be fun, the fact that people have to grind to get a new character's reputation correctly set up is, at best, a distraction and at worst, an impediment. If you want to play Liberty Police or Navy, fine, otherwise it can take up to 48 total game hours just to get to point where you can actually play the character. More, if the method for that particular faction's reputation is convoluted and hasn't been discussed on the forums.

2.) Everyone is held responsible to make sure their IFF/Tag/ID are all correct and appropriate, etc. This is often straightforward, but I think asking people to set up their own reputations is sometimes an issue when its clear some players either don't know how or set it up incorrectly on purpose. For instance, I've seen players who are supposed to be RPing an unlawful faction but were treated "Friendly/Neutral" by NPC Police/Military vessels nearby.

3.) When new factions are added, such as the Gallia factions, some people are going to have to grind ALL over again to get their characters correct. It might even be required after new versions are released; after the first 4.85 Beta came out, I even had to grind for some of the old factions that were previously set up correctly.
Even under 4.84, I read posts on the forums by people who found their reputation's screwed up (perhaps due to accidents on their part, or not fully understanding the empathy rates between factions) and were not sure how to fix it without grinding for hours again to make it right.

I know it's possible to implement this sort of thing, because I've seen it implemented on another server before. I remember being able to set up character reputation on that server from console in a way similar to the way we currently rename characters.

It seems to me that some sort of server command is already being performed by Admins for those players who become Nomad or Wilde characters, as there doesn't seem to be a way for players to achieve that Reputation without Admin intervention...... so perhaps some framework is already laid.

Clearly, factions like the Nomads, Wilde, etc., should not be accessible to normal players with a server command implemented the way I am suggesting, only factions that are already allowable. And to those who'd feel stuck in a mold, maybe it would still be within RP to make some modifications to their reputation after setting a character up, if they have some sort of backstory for their character that calls for it.

Perhaps there is some history regarding this subject that I'm not privy to. I'd be curious to know, if so. Surely this subject has come up before?

-Marsh

Disclaimer: I tried to search for any previous mention of this topic and all I could find was a mention of someone a year ago (or so) asking if there would ever be a way to "reset" his reputation via server command.
Also, I thought since there is still some tinkering going on that this would be a good place to post...... Though I'm not sure if what I'm asking about is under the category of tinkering or something more extreme.
This was mentioned in a thread a while back. Try searching it and see what you pick up. I dont think it got paid much mind, but personally it seemed very interesting and I hope it gets done.

EDIT: Found it for ya mate; Page 12, Half way down the page

I think thats what you're talking about...
' Wrote:This was mentioned in a thread a while back. Try searching it and see what you pick up. I dont think it got paid much mind, but personally it seemed very interesting and I hope it gets done.

EDIT: Found it for ya mate; Page 12, Half way down the page

I think thats what you're talking about...

Yes! That is what I'm talking about. In particular, I noted that Cannon was considering this, but wasn't going to start it because it was considered "controversial". So there *is* probably some history, at least of debate on this.

Going to read that post more in-depth.

Thanks!
' Wrote:Happy first post!
a rant.... but very constructive :)

Kudos to you.

(Thanks! I do try to be constructive.... though I note that I clearly posted in the wrong part of the forum. The User Command Wish List would be a better place, though I hope posting there won't be like throwing a needle into a haystack with all the posts already there.)
Topic moved...

Seems I deleted a post on accident, as well. x.x
' Wrote:Topic moved...

Seems I deleted a post on accident, as well. x.x
:dry:Oh Virus....

On topic now....

If we would implement such a helpful tool, i'd say we should do it the way it does not help you gaining your IFF with the faction you want to be part of. It's going fast enough (plus you'll explore a bit while doing this. I'm always having fun when repping a new char.).
It should help you to get those factions you should be hostile towards to be hostile to you. With something like /set Xeno/Corsair/Brigands/etc/etc/blablablubb or such.

(sorry if this is what you ask for, but I understood that you want to have something that would do all the work for you)
Not sure if I should be posting here??

But any case, how would something like this not be abused? If a tool/command is available for you to change your reputation on the spot, I think players can use this to their advantage in creative ways to abuse that right, such as docking at enemy stations to gain a certain item on the spot and so on.

If a rather large fee was required to operate the command, then maybe that would balance things out.

Or even, although this is completely different in terms of programming I reckon, a tool that will allow you to focus on a particular faction, and guide you to were you can do missions for them and gain rep, not going to happen though on that one.
I approve of
Code:
/hostile faction_code

I do not approve of
Code:
/friendly faction_code

nor do I approve of
Code:
/setstandardrep faction_code

The reason is because the latter would be abused to no end. The only way it would be workable is if the server kept track of this and only allowed it, say, twice? Once? Admin tool only?

However, a rep-lowering tool would be fantabulous, and basically impossible to abuse.
[thanks Virus!]

Neronian posted a reply that listed a link to this very subject...... and most of what you guys have said has and is actually being discussed there. Modifying your reputation so you can perform OORP actions like docking a base you shouldn't be able to, etc., completely valid concerns, all. I will be keeping an eye on that debate since it's kind of still going and my post is kind of duplicating it. ^_^;;;

CCI45-px/Probe149, I can understand the value of "work" in setting up a character: I have spend 48+ game hours correctly setting up characters before.

My point is not to have something do all the "work" for us. My point is that the "work" of grinding and performing missions, etc., to get the rep "the way it should be", is something that is often technically separate and distinct from the actual "Role" a person's character will be playing.

[I.E., if someone was making a plain old Zoner character, he/she has to fly all over Sirius, doing things that Zoners don't do, which is, attack everyone and/or perform missions against factions which it is supposed to be neutral with. Also, this can be disruptive to those who have already established their characters and are attempting to RP.]

Under the premise that this is an RP server, I place a priority on the Role part, more than I do on the grinding to get my character's reputation set up. Otherwise, I'd do nothing but grind. I could explore or grind without even being online, if that were really the point.

Again, I can understand how some people might place value in having people pay their dues, etc.. I just disagree that having people pay their dues is more important than letting people play the roles they intend to on a server that emphasizes role-play. [EDIT: Provided, they don't cheat or abuse the system as they do so.]

It seems a little bit like asking someone making a new character in D & D to spend hours rolling their stats before they can make their actual character.

But then again, I am willing to concede that there might be yet another angle to this.....
I don't think it would be unreasonable to create a flhook function /derep [faction_code] [bars_to_lose] so long as you don't accept negative numbers for bars to lose, thereby gaining rep. It would make shirtching from a normal rep to guard rep SO much easier, and would help fix other annoying problems. For example, every time I kill someone/something in liberty, I become green with the Xenos, even though I don't want to be.
Pages: 1 2 3