Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Folding @ Home Distributed Supercomputer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought there was a thread about this, but perhaps I dreamt it. Have you heard of folding@home? It's like a more user-friendly, restricted, and purely molecular bioscience focused version of BOINC. If you've heard of BOINC.

It's a distributed computer network where volunteers' computers run simulations of protein models to simulate their movement and provide data for scientific research. And there was a huge push for users for the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, resulting in the grid creating the biggest super computer in the world, performing calculations on the exaflop scale for the first time ever. Which is awesomely impressive.

I've been involved in cloud computing for a while, but have recently been inspired and enthused enough to put all of my old non-resaleable equipment to work, including broken old Android phones, my recently old PC, and my recently new PC. On a side note if anyone has suggestions for how to cool and charge five phones let me know; my plan has been to bag them and dip them into an aquarium.

Points to reflect contribution gamify volunteering and make it competitive, but are highly dependent on how powerful equipment is. But less powerful equipment matters, because this is all about cumulative power. Every little bit counts.

So, not to brag, but I'm coming up on 13 million points, now. Who can beat me?

Disclaimer: This post is not affiliated with, screened or inherently endorsed by the Discovery team.
Well, answering some of your questions ...
Phone Cooling Fans
This devices work pretty well in some scenarios to cool down the phone a bit, like laptops pads with fans ...

I have done too some Folding@Home support, reaching to the desirable amount of 5 millions, but currently for me is no longer possible, due to overheating, summer, hot temps, having unstable network connections, and not able to continue the support, and of course, having 1050 4gb nvidia laptop, and a RX570 deskopt powered pc, each with a A8-3870K on PC and i7-7700HQ on laptop, there is not much i can really do ...
And all of that due to hard confinement due this stupid virus ...
right now ... i am just trying to survive until all my online games need a heavy update i could not afford.

anyway, with the devices show you above (cost arround 15 bucks) you can cool down and literally charge your devices ... just consider battery tearing on newer ones or what you use ...
Every little bit counts! It's why I'm looking at cooling these shoddy old phones. But being in Australia, I can definitely appreciate cooling being a big issue. Still, don't feel like that equipment isn't powerful enough! That recently-old PC? GTX 660. i5-3570. It still works plenty (sun)
Well, that fans can help, another nice idea is buy one of that laptop fans (the one that has like 6 fans ... connect your phones, and let them work, while the cooling pad is working, since you are not really needed do something on phones while calculating ... that can help really a lot, that would save the need of buying for example, 3x15 bucks items ...
Here as example.
So, you only connect and leave, leave on a desk or so, and while they can be powered in, you can still aid in that research, easy as that, you will only need the chargers and where to connect but i can assume you had one of the multi-contacts like this one
MultiPlug Outlet
so, probably can be useful ... or in exchange ...
MultiUSB
That can be useful to keep them powered, and a bit (lot) more cooler than just having it ...
and if you live in australia and appreciate cooling, see to someone who lives near the topics or the ecuator ... so ... more hot summers Tongue
Anyway, hope that can help :3