Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Aurora HUD (v1.1) - dark mode for Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Aurora Hud V1.1

Aurora is a dark, minimalistic, modular theme for Freelancer. It will work with vanilla, Discovery or pretty much any other mod. I created it primarily because I actually find it makes the game a good deal more enjoyable and relaxing to play than with the cyan/Arial combination of vanilla.

In addition to the downloads linked below, all the source materials (textures etc.) are available here. These include notes detailing my reverse engineering of the files that Aurora uses. Hopefully these are useful to others wishing to make UI mods themselves. Aurora is released under CC BY-SA 4.0.

As denoted by the version number, this is definitely a work in progress and will be subject to updates.

Gallery

Downloads

Aurora is modular - you can download and install different components independently if you wish.

EVERYTHING

Includes everything listed below in one download.

Installation:
  1. Download
  2. Double click the .ttf to install Titillium Web
  3. Extract DATA into your Freelancer directory.

WIDGETS

A dark-tinted theme with subtle magenta highlights. Contrast is maintained and enhanced through the retention of "Freelancer blue". Also contains a new high-res navmap background.

Installation:
  1. Download
  2. Extract DATA into your Freelancer directory.

FONTS

We've all been staring at Arial for far too long. This module replaces the standard UI font with Titillium. It also sets the player contact name to Agency FB to be consistent with everything else on the target list. Finally, it slightly increases the size of the navmap labels and decreases the size of tooltips.

Installation:
  1. Download
  2. Double click the .ttf to install Titillium Web
  3. Extract DATA into your Freelancer directory.

CURSORS

Rescales the cursors to not be oversized at modern resolutions and changes the off-screen indicator background from blue to black. In the future I would also like to experiment with tweaking textures for the targeting system.

Installation:
  1. Download
  2. Extract DATA into your Freelancer directory.

Acknowledgements

This work actually started as a remake of Maverick's "black&silver HUD" as it has seemingly been lost forever, even to its creator. In screenshots it looks superb but I found the extreme white/black contrast too distracting to actually play with when I tested it for myself. Aurora therefore uses a more muted contrast with grey instead of white.

See readme.creole (included in the downloads) for licensing information.
This is very cool, thank you.
Noice. My fl looks nice now
Very cool. I will use this now.
cool and good hud.
I like this a lot. Thank you.
Downloaded...and its amazing.
Thanks for the nice feedback everyone. I hope to return to this in the next few weeks. I've had less time than I anticipated but I do have plenty of ideas!
This is epic work, thanks Smile
Download links updated for version 1.1. Just a small update, but I decided to bump the major version number as there are not too many fixes left to make before this version is "complete".

[Image: DvqPzKm.png][Image: yRrA55K.png][Image: oEIskBM.png]

Code:
v1.1 Changelog
- Off-screen indicator background changed to black
- Project moved to GitHub
Pages: 1 2