Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reducing in Game Meta Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Metagaming, something that is hard to control!

I have a suggestion to remove players location from the player list if possible - I believe this will reduce a lot of meta unable to be 100% controlled what do you think!
No, because I use it to blow people up,
Yeah, because why not after all
This comes up every so often. Removing player locations from the player list would be so obstructive to gameplay that it would be purely detrimental. Yes, metagaming is a thing that should not be done but using the player list to find someone does not come under this. Ultimately, we are playing a multiplayer game and are here to have fun with other people, not play in a cold, empty, silent vacuum.
Mep is right.
Just treat the player list as inRP long-range scanners and play the game.

It's not like it's hard to avoid interaction as it is.
(06-01-2020, 03:00 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Just treat the player list as inRP long-range scanners and play the game.

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=171884

Quote:
No matter whether we are talking about the ingame playerlist or the playerlist on the forums, these playerlists are utilities for the players, not for the characters. This means, any information you can see on the playerlist is not available to the character. And you shouldn't pretend it in any way to be like that. You can use the playerlist to find encounters or ooRPly contact other players, and that is all about it. Your character has no means of knowing that in system X are Y players of faction Z. Whenever you find these encounters, please pretend the encounter was induced randomly. Do not have your character say anything about long range tracking, NPC patrols or anything else told them about the location of the target ship when you find it. It's risky and in most cases cringy. Risky, as in, you the player does not know what exactly the target ships were doing. You don't know their exact route in systems, you don't know whether they were cloaked or not and you don't know whether they used a jump gate or a jump hole. You don't even know whether a ship in another system is docked at a station or in space. Do yourself a favor and just pretend the encounter is random. It is the best you can do.
(06-01-2020, 03:00 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Just treat the player list as inRP long-range scanners and play the game.

I want long range scanners against illegal POBs setting shop in Liberty.
What if the systems just got grouped into the houses they belong to.
(06-01-2020, 03:03 PM)darkwind Wrote: [ -> ]Do yourself a favor and just pretend the encounter is random. It is the best you can do.

This often seems sillier and more "fake" than just saying something like "We're picking up Rogue activity in California.", honestly. As long as it's done within reason (No FR5ing players for being in Alaska on the player list, thanks.), it's fine with me.

Obviously this is all just my opinion as a player and I'm not stating the intent of the rules or some sort of developer point of view here.

Edit: Also yeah, sure. I didn't literally mean long range scanners. More like navigation buoys, patrols, tradelane usage, whatever.
(06-01-2020, 03:06 PM)Unity Wrote: [ -> ]What if the systems just got grouped into the houses they belong to.

We had this. It was just as bad.

Terrible suggestion, no matter how many times it's made. New players will never understand what it was like when the Staff at the time were gullible enough to implement it. Activity dipped.
Pages: 1 2 3