Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: House Corporate FR5s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
House corporations should not be able to enforce roleplay consequences for pirating or attacking them outside of house space.

House police, military and intelligence factions may only apply FR5s for hostile actions committed against them and their house corporations outside of their house space if they are both there to witness it and within their zone of influence. This rule exists in order to enable quasi-lawful borderworlds piracy and conflict between corporations, which is almost universally recognised as good for the game.

House corporate factions do not face the same restrictions. They can FR5 anyone for attacking or pirating them anywhere in their ZoI, including outside of house space. This would be fine if being FR5ed by a house corporation meant you couldn't dock on only their bases, but this is not the case, as their holdings are mostly within house space and encountering their hostile bases or NPCs in their house will turn everything else hostile, too. Being FR5ed by a house corporation is effectively being FR5ed from the entire house. This means these corporations have more effective FR5s than house police, military and intelligence, as they are easier to levy due to fewer restrictions.

So, the current situation we have is:

Police/military/intelligence: Can FR5 for any hostile actions committed in their house, and for hostile actions committed outside of their house space if within their ZoI and there to witness it, banning the affected ship from their house.
Corporation: Can FR5 for any hostile action made against them anywhere in their ZoI, banning the affected ship from their house.

This is unbalanced, as it means the restrictions placed on house law enforcement can be bypassed by the corporation applying their FR5. As such, house corporations should be restricted from enforcing roleplay consequences for hostile actions conducted against them outside house space.

This would result in:

Police/military/intelligence: Can FR5 for any hostile actions committed in their house, and for hostile actions committed outside of their house space if within their ZoI and there to witness it, banning the affected ship from their house.
Corporation: Can FR5 for any hostile action made against them in their own house space.

This could be argued as a little unfair as it'd make house corporation FR5s weaker than house law enforcement FR5s. There is also an argument in favour of this as law enforcement should be more effective in, well, enforcing their laws etc etc, but we can make the FR5s abilities of house law enforcement and house corporations slightly different to add nuance to the Discovery universe and balance them out.

What I suggest:

Police/military/intelligence: Can FR5 for any hostile actions committed in their house, and for hostile actions committed outside of their house space if within their ZoI and there to witness it, banning the affected ship from their house. No change from what we currently have.
Corporation: Can FR5 for any hostile action made against them in any house space.

This would maintain the status quo with law enforcement factions. For house corporations, it would nerf them in denying them the ability to FR5 for things happening outside their house space, but buff them in expanding their roleplay-consequence-enforcing abilities beyond their own house space and into all other house space. I feel this would make more sense as house law enforcement (ok, excluding intel, who face certain ID restrictions when out of ZoI) is generally not intended to be flying around into other houses, whereas corporations are.

It is admittedly very rare to see house corporations applying FR5s at all, but this change should made to take away the ability to neuter borderworlds piracy.
good suggestion tbh
It could also just be made that corporate fr5s only go to nodock so that the person isnt kicked out of the house via sympathy aggro
I'd recommend you change the title to: "House FR5s"

Police, Military and Corporations should not be able to freely FR5 people attacking them in the borderworlds, especially if they get destroyed, in my opinion. But this is just because people automatically assume they know your IFF, Name and ID when they see you in space. Meaning there is no anonymity, and removes a fair bit of unlawful plays that can be made from corporate factions as well.
(06-04-2020, 11:51 PM)The Only Hokan Wrote: [ -> ]I'd recommend you change the title to: "House FR5s"

Police, Military and Corporations should not be able to freely FR5 people attacking them in the borderworlds, especially if they get destroyed, in my opinion. But this is just because people automatically assume they know your IFF, Name and ID when they see you in space. Meaning there is no anonymity, and removes a fair bit of unlawful plays that can be made from corporate factions as well.

The corp factions gone pirating are usually repped nodock to the corps they are pirating anyway.
Perhaps the best solution to the problem Mep laid out would be to make it so that the corp faction can only FR5 to nodock, and cannot make the npc bases hostile.

Pirated corporation: "Hey, you robbed me out in the middle of nowhere, I won't let you into the heart of my operational zone."

Some Junker: "Na na na na na na, you can't touch me!"

(To clarify: the moment you start giving players the chance to screw over other players and there is an arbitrary block on consequences, that will generate a massive sense of unfairness, etc. as well as the perception that a meta-heavy playstyle of "Oh, I can hit them *here* and rules will prevent them from doing literally anything to me." is not only permissible, but encouraged.)
Nvm.
100% agree.

The precedent set by the USI-IMG drama effectively rendered the entire "roleplay consequences" restriction completely meaningless, since corporate conflict was allowed to "chain" into house conflicts, effectively turning in a ruling that indirectly stated "any hostile action taken anywhere in Sirius under any circumstance can spiral into a war with a house".

Corporations should grow a spine and log security ships instead of whining to houses and invoking rules when they meet conflict in the border worlds.
100% agree.
(06-05-2020, 12:11 AM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]100% agree.

The precedent set by the USI-IMG drama effectively rendered the entire "roleplay consequences" restriction completely meaningless, since corporate conflict was allowed to "chain" into house conflicts, effectively turning in a ruling that indirectly stated "any hostile action taken anywhere in Sirius under any circumstance can spiral into a war with a house".

Corporations should grow a spine and log security ships instead of whining to houses and invoking rules when they meet conflict in the border worlds.

Not only that, but corporations constantly begging for the assistance of house authorities would be subject to oversight or investigation by those authorities. For any corps that want to do sketchy stuff (y'know, all of them), constantly begging the nanny state for assistance would be contrary to their goals.

It makes sense for corporations to enforce their own internal policies and defend themselves, not to be watched by Uncle Sam the Helicopter Parent.

Besides, even with military power being what it is in Freelancer, I imagine it would seem frivolous to start an outright war over a corporate squabble. Much more appropriate would be tariffs, tolls, and blockades.
What about the corporations operating outside the house space? Shall GMG be limited in FR5 if get pirated in Sigmas, for example?
Pages: 1 2