Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Grizzly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I originally built it as a "combat freighter" as mentionned in my original infocard...
But, right now it's a "shuttle". Alright.

But... just, what is it good against right now?
Fighters, bombers, the only efficient way I found to kill them was mine spam. Because of its size and turn rate, it cant fight these normally. And I know while I am not the best pilot of this server, I am not exactly the worst either. I fought against average pilot and this thing is generally... inefficient.
I just got demolished by transports, so its not good against them either. (yet it could have been a good anti smuggler craft...)

its powercore gets depleted in no time with quad vengeance guns...

Also, what is that funny serial number in its infocard? All liberty ships goes by the designation Li-something. This one is something like DH HAI thingy.

Yet, it is, again in the infocard I submitted, a stealth ship (I mean, look how its coloured...) developped by the navy...

anyway. Just want answers. Right now this thing seems way too weak for its purpose.

I had a cap 5 on mine, a CB, two debs and all vengeance V and V turrets.

Ripped through vhfs and bombers easally.
I had the pleasure of personally testing the Grizzly during the closed beta. And I can assure you that when flown properly it will have the upper hand against other freighters, and can be very dangerous to fighter-sized ships. Yes, it has a ton of guns with a weak core, as it is supposed to.

Flying a freighter is different from flying a fighter. I mean, the successful flying style is different. For more information, see:

Sybex Strategy guide (official Freelancer site, Microsoft)
I'd say flying a Grizzly is a lot like flying a CSF, but that's probably of little use to you.

I'll just leave it at that the big nasty freighters are tough opponents when flown right.

EDIT: That guide is actually really useful. Great find!
freighters are tough - but not so tough. they are giving up a lot to be much more universally useful than bombers, fighters or other things.

a freighter is agile enough to use the "jousting" style vs. fighters and bombers. - but for that it is large enough to take a lot more damage. ( FL fighters have a staggering DPS when they hit - compared to their size, a fighter has a lot more firepower than the most fearsome battleship )

so - a bomber can pop a freighter with relative ease - if he s good enough with the SN, cause the freighter won t be able to fight the bomber "light-fighter-style".

a VHF can fight a freighter by taking a lot less damage while dishing out similar damage... the fighter survives longer.

so what can the freighter do? - it is primarily a trading vessel. - small enough to *escape* most situations that would entrap a larger transport. - a freighter is as fast as a fighter and can dodge well enough - a real blockade runner... BUT more a low level earner or a RP ship.

a freighter can be used as a support ship for piracy or as a general support ship anyway - but on its own... it can deal with many situations - but isn t on top of them.

the grizzly in particular can be a tough enemy, when the skill of the pilots ( grizzly and attacker ) are similarly average. - in the higher skill-scales... the fighters will have an advantage - in the lower skills, the freighter might even win.
Well, freighters are basicly the jacks of all trades... masters of none.. they can trade but not like transports, they can fight but not like fighters, with sufficent skill however you can be a serius problem for a vhf... Especialy say a LF might get in to trouble fast fighting a freighter...

Freighters do take out transports a bit more easily than transports take them out... so they win against that. 200 speed does not hurt...

But generealy, they are cheap, have plenty of cargo, plenty of guns, you can do everything in them.....

Personally i'd like cargo requirements on missiles, and then removing the cap, so freighters could carry say 300 missiles, then they might become missile boats, really good missile boats while we are at it, supplying allies with reloads and such...

Cargo also is something not to frown upon, with 600 or so cargo capacity you can really hold your own. Useful for scounting, wreck hunting, weapon dealing, all kinds of stuff.

Last but not least, good shields help a lot...
I was myself disappointed by the infocard used on it. Quite DIFFERENT from the initial concept of a Liberty unique ship made for light assault, recon and stealth ops built by LN and used by military factions for MILITARY tasks.

Could it infocard be changed to its initial concept? what the ship was originally made for
I would agree.

This ship now ressembles a commercial craft, by its infocard.

Yet, its appearance suggests otherwise. Right now, only two crafts in the Liberty military use such a dark painting scheme, and they are this suposedly heavily armed and armored combat shuttle, and the Atlantis...

I understand the jack of all trade thing, but this is not a freighter for everyone to use freely.

Also... whats that DHAI thing as serial name? all libertonian ships are Li-something named...

I'm fairly certain I submitted an infocard with it...
As a freighter captain, I enjoy mine, the Borderworlds ST freighter. With 4 forward and 5 aft mounted turrets, counter measures and a nice armor upgrade, I can fly it anywhere. Twice I've destroyed would-be pirates and through countermeasures have escaped disruptors numerous times. Still, if I know I'm overmatched, I'll pay up but where the rads are tough and the environment hostile, I feel safe.
I believe it was deemed that the Navy/LSF had little need for a dedicated freighter. While they could certainly use one, the need for a higher tier freighter for use by all liberty factions was far greater. The rhino had to stay for starter use.

As for the odd numerical code I have no idea.
Pages: 1 2