Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: OoRP hate should be punished or no (In discord)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Greetings, I would like to have a brainstorming with people's opinions about this subject.
Lately, I have spoken to people who I have been playing with them for a while, and over the one year, I have played around.

All people that I have spoken to have left cause of the OORP hate.
In my opinion, I don't think people should hate others because they are playing in another faction this causes the gameplay of Disco to become uncomfortable.

First, OoRP hate will reduce the number of players in Disco which is bad and critical because we are a really small community. Besides that, I'm pretty sure that people don't like to be called names or eventually becoming a joke in Disco. Most people here are adults who can have fun without been toxic or rude to other people.
Moreover, People dislike how the community behaves and these things can be easily fixed if someone actually will put some strict rules to make people feel comfortable and revealing.

Second, I think its best for everyone to take a second to their mind. Is it worth your time to insult someone or talk trash to someone? I don't think that people like to open the forum and get messages in Pms or Discord that their faction is ***** and you should leave disco or whatever. Furthermore, Treat other people like you want to be treated, I just came back a few months ago and the feedback on people and gossips are really in huge numbers.
I know you might take it as a joke and probably just make from it fun but I want other people to feel happy and comfortable around disco and reduce the number of players leaving Disco.

To sum up, I suggest a rule that any message or threat to a certain people or faction should be punished, Eventually I heard people getting stressed over silly comments of others. I see that people like to have freedom of speech but there are more formal ways to do it and actually to not insult people and stepping on them. I just want to see if people agree with me here about this certain subject.
i don't agree

this is a bad idea and leads to thought policing

please cease your suggesting
Unfortunately, some people cannot forgive others breaking their toys and thus it is easier for them to gather ganks and try to 'revenge' than accept the loss. The same is not only about the pob sieges, one of the dirtiest activities on the Disco but about general RP where people can go mad because someone refused to give them new toys. Should I also mention that there are several people that may turn mad because of inRP news where their faction was showed up in not the best light?

This is kind of the corruption to the community and while some are capable to avoid this, many are not and remain whinny, hateful and toxic.
(06-29-2020, 10:45 AM)Typrop Wrote: [ -> ]i don't agree

this is a bad idea and leads to thought policing

please cease your suggesting
Respect your opinion, But I think to have a more comfortable environment is mostly important.
(06-29-2020, 10:47 AM)TheFireLeon Wrote: [ -> ]Respect your opinion, But I think to have a more comfortable environment is mostly important.

please do not assume that you know what other people find comfortable

ironically by increasing restrictions you make things less comfortable because you effectively create tension between staff and typical users by giving them an avenue to enact heavy-handed enforcement over minor things like powertraders getting salty
Issue is how some people are mixing ooRP hate with inRP hate/adversary. Staff have made errors in judgement about such cases. So combine the too and you might end up with over-the-top policing that will shun away people from even discussing things, because one wrong step or word might lead to getting banboozled.
Obviously, I have to promote the use of the report button on forum posts, and posts or PMs violating the rules, or being abusive, harassing players or containing threats should be reported, too.

With that being said, people should be nice and mature. They really, really should be. Unfortunately, we can't bank on that. People get mad at the space game, which is silly, but they do, and even as much as I'd like to think more things could be done mechanically to prevent that, I don't think much could be achieved. Someone is always going to get angry in a competitive space game.

Now, seeing as I've noticed this is actually about Discord - policing Discord is like policing Skype. It is a huge scope, a huge workload, and even if we covered the main server, that doesn't cover private messages or other servers.

My advice:
  • Understand that Discord is less moderated because of the sheer volume of content.
  • Don't join a Discord server if you're not comfortable with the inherent risk of un-niceness of an internet chatroom
  • Use the block function generously and configure your direct message privacy settings to your liking
(06-29-2020, 10:52 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Issue is how some people are mixing ooRP hate with inRP hate/adversary.

Exactly this.
Leon, We've talked a few times on Discord, and you yourself have said things that could definitely be counted as ooRP hatred. Did you stop to consider that anything you say could be viewed this way too?

Then we'd need even more staff members to straight up stalk people. Which is harassment, how is that harassment? Just look at me following Darkstar_Spectre everywhere to piss him off cause he's a knock-off scottish garden gnome with daddy issues. Or just, ya know. Exo. Let's see I posted a quote in a thread awhile back that applies to this situation. One moment.

"We're in the age of political correctness which is actually just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism intended for the creation of thought crime."

Another issue this has is jokes. Do you have any idea how many sh*tposters there are in this community. This is nonsense and would cause far too many issues. Besides it was highly controversial when they banned a few people over things they said in discord anyway, think Snak was one of those people at one point that got skewered for being based.

Edit: There is no reliable way to prove someone's intentions, the staff should definitely not enter the business of deciding what goes on in people's head, the moment they start doing that they become completely un-respectable human beings as they're controlling what people are allowed to say like the Chinese Communist Party.

So you'd be relying on the staff to make their own decisions, they are human, they have ooRP hatreds toward particular people I'm quite certain of it, there isn't a single person here that is completely free of that (at least that I've seen to this day). So you would essentially be hoping that the person punishing people doesn't hate them, leading to far more issues. (Yes I'm aware they can be banned for abusing their power and not being unbiased) Adding more ruling and fields for slaughter to be interpreted by human beings that already have a fantastically strange and sometimes deranged workload is nonsensical at best.
I think if you have an actual, real concern about someone doing out of roleplay power- and/or meta-gaming type stuff, or otherwise trying to fuck you over out of roleplay using thinly-veiled in-roleplay reasons, you should submit a violation report on the forums just as you would if someone called you a string of profanities in game and threatened to besmirch your significant other's honour.

I don't know if the GMs would respond to it the way you or I would hope they would (frankly I'm of the opinion that historically the staff are way too unwilling to keep general community coherency in place in favour of not losing a single antagonistic player out of a couple thousand total) but it's the only real concrete way to get any sort of report processed properly, so you should do it regardless of how it may possibly turn out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

RE: concerns about "jokes" and "political correctness": My take on that is that if you have to ask if people are going to think you're a cunt for some joke or whatever you're making, then congratulations, you're a cunt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4