Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Disable forced game patch in Discovery Launcher?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simply put, I just want to know if there's a way to disable the forced patching before launching via the Launcher when there's a new update released. Again, this if for use on my OWN servers, with my own audience. I ask this because EVERY time there is an update, it usually overwrites core files that I have edited HEAVILY in order to make the game experience more enjoyable for myself and those that play with me.

I have tried just using the standard EXE to launch the game instead, but HudShift is NOT loaded properly when the Discovery mod is launched through Freelancer.exe.

Disclaimers:
  • Yes, I know this will make playing on the official server impossible. I don't care, nor do any of my players.

• I am absolutely certain there IS a way this can be done, it just hasn't made itself clear to me yet, which is why I'm hoping I'll get some help with it from the people that know how the whole thing works.
this wound be a great feature to add
Suggest you just apply your changes over the top of disco, resolving any conflicts between official changes and yours as they come up. Otherwise what you want is a hard fork of disco, in which case I suggest not using the disco launcher to run your game.
(07-05-2020, 02:51 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]Suggest you just apply your changes over the top of disco, resolving any conflicts between official changes and yours as they come up. Otherwise what you want is a hard fork of disco, in which case I suggest not using the disco launcher to run your game.

And how would I go about that? The only way to make changes is to edit the files directly and upon a new patch they're just replaced with new files anyway, so even if I just added my changes as seperate entries and commented out the built-in ones (which would be a pain in the ass to do, anyway, since I edit at least one aspect of EVERY ship), it would still get reverted because it just patches in a whole new file.
(07-05-2020, 02:58 AM)Volgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2020, 02:51 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]Suggest you just apply your changes over the top of disco, resolving any conflicts between official changes and yours as they come up. Otherwise what you want is a hard fork of disco, in which case I suggest not using the disco launcher to run your game.

And how would I go about that? The only way to make changes is to edit the files directly and upon a new patch they're just replaced with new files anyway, so even if I just added my changes as seperate entries and commented out the built-in ones (which would be a pain in the ass to do, anyway, since I edit at least one aspect of EVERY ship), it would still get reverted because it just patches in a whole new file.

Just apply the same diff as you made to the old file, against the new one?
(07-05-2020, 03:01 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]

Just apply the same diff?

It takes a good 3+ hours of editing, checking, double-checking and further minor edits to completely change it to how my server is run.. it's not a process I enjoy repeating (nor do I always remember the EXACT settings I had), and there's no way to automate the changes (and if there is, it's beyond me).
(07-05-2020, 03:04 AM)Volgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2020, 03:01 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]

Just apply the same diff?

It takes a good 3+ hours of editing, checking, double-checking and further minor edits to completely change it to how my server is run.. it's not a process I enjoy repeating (nor do I always remember the EXACT settings I had), and there's no way to automate the changes (and if there is, it's beyond me).

Why are you doing it by hand every time if it takes 3+ hours? You effectively just want to do the equivalent of a git rebase?
Anyway that sounds like a big enough change to warrant splitting from Discovery properly, not continuing to apply our updates - consider not using our launcher if it's causing problems?
mate can't you just make a backup of the files you've edited, and apply them on-top everytime disco updates? the solution seems deceptively simple...
(07-05-2020, 05:07 AM)Traxit Wrote: [ -> ]mate can't you just make a backup of the files you've edited, and apply them on-top everytime disco updates? the solution seems deceptively simple...

Sometimes the updates are actually relevant, so no, that wouldn't work. I'm also not sure if it would just mark it as an old version again and require re-patching.
(07-05-2020, 03:18 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]...consider not using our launcher if it's causing problems?

I already tried that, but as I stated in the OP, HudShift does NOT work properly when launching the mod via Freelancer.exe, which makes this option nonviable. I have tried many different ways to make it work, but the only one that did was applying Jason's patch - which also broke the mouse cursor!
Pages: 1 2