Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trying to play original campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so for the life of me I can't get the original Freelancer to play. I want to play through the original campaign before dipping my toes in Discovery's multiplayer. However no matter how I install the game (iso, torrent, direct download, the link provided by Discovery, all with applicable patches, cracks, no-cd patches etc.) all that happens is that I get the intro graphics, splash screen, then it crashes to desktop. But I know the game 100% runs on my laptop, I played it only last month but didn't have time to get into the campaign and ended up deleting it before retrying a couple of days ago. Using the Discovery launcher itself I can get into the game but ofcourse the campaign isn't there (new game sticks you at lvl 13 and lets you just play how you want) which is understandable because Discovery is set up for the multiplayer. Can anyone give me any advice or help?

PS - if this is in the wrong place/forum I do apologise, mods feel free to move it as necessary, thanks in advance for any replies.
Steps for my installation that I just finished a vanilla campaign run on and still run discovery simultaneously:

No Freelancer, no mods, clean of anything.

Per the download thread,
  1. .NET framework
  2. Legacy components
  3. Freelancer ISO
  4. Discovery install, then:
  5. No-CD EXE into vanilla Freelancer from https://the-starport.net/
  6. JFLP from http://adoxa.altervista.org/freelancer/index.html (all praise be to our god and cowboy daddy Jason) into vanilla Freelancer
  7. Updated JFLP.dll into vanilla Freelancer
  8. Maybe some compatability options in Windows (run as administrator definitely, Win XP SP3)
  9. Keeping all the .fl in Documents\My Games\Freelancer in a subfolder I named Vanilla because the Discovery Launcher wipes them each launch (they're incompatible) and vanilla Freelancer crashes if it meets a Discovery generated .fl like restart.fl
Thanks, it was the .fl files causing the issue. Ended up putting them in a completely different part of my C drive and that did the trick, I'm balls deep in the campaign again Smile Hope to see you on the server some time! o7