Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New player experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just read this thread from a new player - Both Champ and Mephistoles gave quality responses (the only respondents at this time). Kudos.

The OP asked the following:

Quote:I was wondering if there is some sort of (updted) list of trade routes or mod to help out with this, since i like trading and everything is different on the commodities side!?

Our mod does not seem to be very user friendly to a new player if for a high quality game experience trading, they need to go on further and download 3rd party software, search find and read tutorials, fly many hours in-game to dock on enough bases or commit a RP post in a faction recruitment thread.

I don't think we should publicly list the best trade routes, no. But perhaps a short list of some high quality/popular routes. Pin this information (which I don't have myself because I do not play often) somewhere on the forums.

This whole proposal comes down to the ease of jumping into modern games and having fun. I want new players to enjoy Discovery and making their first moments as easy as possible would be a sensible move.
M-mhm.
Gold ore from Dublin to planet New Berlin, Aluminium ore from Frankfurt to planet New London. All other routes are now, unfortunately, purposeless and unprofitable, while this is the only route close to 100m/h on 5K
We had this before...Bristol to New London, fully always stocked circular route with waypoints. That had a beginner's guide on forums

I spoke with Karst, and I believe there should be one, short, circular fully waypointable, profitable ore route that leads through popular areas for Newbie and Pirates's sake that is setup in cooperation with PoB owners.

We have Bristol already making guides - they had this before, but the new routes made Skorak give up, and even Bristol is often full of Rheinbier and won't buy, killing the circular route. Freeport got killed on top.

Gold ore is dead for solo indie trading, PoBs next to NL aren't stocked, the one in Dublin got destroyed.
Some of the POBs in NL are buying ore, if there are Miners willing to mine and sell their ore to them.
Bristol does buy Rheinbier again
But really that's on the guys being nice and hauling it all the way to Liberty
And that's literally the only always stocked route with waypoints I know

I think PoB owners that do maintain and fill their bases, even make forum guides should be always consulted when setting up ore routes

Miners filling PoBs will always be an issue, missions or even farming Nomads in Delta and NPC war zones are just more fun
Some routes could be advertised by bar NPC rumors and/or news bulletins.

Trade could also be made easier and more intuitive by adding more sell points to existing commodities along the busy routes.

Before new players are led down the way of mining, the mining system should be made simpler and easier in almost all respects (gear setup, faction bonus disparity, more sell points, fewer ore types/routes, pob construction rules that keep people from spamming bases in locations where they are destined to be destroyed)

But sadly none of this will happen because disco still has, as all throughout its history, a staff composed mainly of people who simply don't care about new player experience, who are 100% absorbed in catering to the people they know and get along with. Some of them do more to stop other people from improving new players experience than they do to improve it.
(07-10-2020, 12:01 PM)Avalanche Wrote: [ -> ]But perhaps a short list of some high quality/popular routes.

But there isn't such a thing. Everything is catered to the same credit/sec so there are no good or bad traderoutes.
What I think the game needs is a proper "tutorial system" where any non-/restarted ship starts. Have it explain some base game concepts (Ideally through UI elements and not wacky chat messages like we currently have in Penny, but I don't know how much can be done there with or without excessive coding wizardry), provide easy but decently-paid missions, and so on.

Also give it a nicely-organized set of one-way jumpholes that allow players to leave the system and begin playing in whatever region they prefer, rather than funneling them all into Liberty.