Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Transport Crew Rp Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When flying a transport, I normally carry crew. It makes more sense to me from a Rp respective. I admit that I do not go as far as to consume O2, food and water while enroute (like dropping a cargo unit of each in each system I travel thru to simulate having to replenishing supplies) although it does cross my mind that it might be fun to do that.

How many crew do you folks use (those who carry crew)? Right now, I am flying a Pirate Train and carrying 25 crew (and assume that I am an extra, not counted person on board). Just wondering what others do in this regard.
I have a OS&C Renzu Liner and have 150 Crew Members with approx. 3500 Passengers. Altough nowadays a Luxury Passenger ship has about 1000-1500 Crew with 4000/5000 passengers, I think in a setting like Freelancer it is plausable to have less crew with the same amount of passengers.
It's up to you, honestly. Some people treat cargo bay as all space in a ship, others consider it only as useful load of the ship, eq - only cargo - necessary crew and consumables are already loaded into the ship with no extra room required.

But on cargo ship crew are usually small, I would not give it more than 20 crewmen, as unlike warships, there is no need for extra crew to repair battle damage and boarding actions.
(07-10-2020, 08:45 PM)Erremnart Wrote: [ -> ]But on cargo ship crew are usually small, I would not give it more than 20 crewmen, as unlike warships, there is no need for extra crew to repair battle damage and boarding actions.

Kind of my own thoughts as well. Cargo ships like transports are run as businesses (to maximize profits). I just feel silly with the idea that I can fly and maintain what is basically a supertanker in space without a crew... and since the mod offers crew then it seems to be implied (just to me) that the intent is for me to carry them. Not trying to force it on anyone else of course, but wanted to be "in line" with others of like mind on the server.

I think I will do 10 for every 200 cargo, rounding down to the nearest 5, then (so a cargo transport with 3500 total cargo would have a crew of 15 and one with 4300 would carry 20). Freighters... probably just me or maybe one or 2 crew at most.

I would love to hear others views on this if you RP this way. Just because I love these elements of roleplaying.