Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Warning to all 360 gamers. New red ring error?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yahoo news reported today that XBox 360's have been hit with yet ANOTHER red ring error. This time it is accompanied by a black screen that reads "E74". I have a 360 myself, so you can imagine what i thought when i first read this article. I hope it doesn't happen to me.:(

Here is the quote from yahoo news

Quote:Is "E74" the Xbox 360's new Red Ring of Death?
Bloggers unearth worrying trend

By Mike Smith

After declaring the Xbox 360's infamous "Red Ring of Death" hardware failure fixed, Microsoft could be in for a whole new headache.

Video games blog Joystiq.com has been researching an Xbox hardware error that, it claims, appears to have been sharply increasing in prevalence since the so-called New Xbox Experience upgrade -- which overhauled the console's user interface -- debuted in November 2008. The error, which manifests itself as a black screen with the code "E74," is thought to be caused by failing video hardware. Most importantly, it isn't covered by the extended warranty Microsoft introduced after the last round of failures, and afflicted gamers must pay over $100 for a repair.

According to a poll conducted by Joystiq's Justin McElroy, "of those claiming to have gotten the error, only 42 percent said that they had received it before the NXE update. To put that another way, 58 percent of the reported E74s have come in the last 12 percent of the console's life." A poll on general tech blog Engadget, which heard from over 1600 readers reporting E74 errors, was in close agreement with Joystiq's findings. "The obvious conclusion is that the system is being taxed by NXE in such a way that it's more prone to E74," McElroy said.

A Microsoft rep told Joystiq: "E74 is a general hardware error on Xbox 360 indicated by a single red flashing light in the Xbox Ring of Light and an error message visible on the television. This error is unrelated to the three flashing red lights error [or "Red Ring of Death] and there is not a single root cause. We encourage anyone who receives this error to contact Xbox Customer support." Microsoft also pointed out that most Xbox owners don't experience any problem with their consoles.

Clearly unimpressed, McElroy hit back in a blog posting yesterday.

"The company seems to want to rebuild a relationship with hardware consumers after losing the trust of many with the [Red Ring of Death] debacle, but not talking about something that's clearly a widespread problem seems like a terrible way to start," he said.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/is-quo...-death-/1299076
That's just great...

...about to go buy a PS3. Maybe they won't break all the time.

Go Microsuck!

~Leo
I'm tempted to not play on my Xbox until they release a fix for this. 100$ is a bit much for someone on a student budget >.>
Going on four months, still waiting for one of these fabled failures. Like most Xbox owners. Stop stereotyping.
Jake.... it isnt stereotyping.. Look at the figures. You may have not gotten the error yet... and neither have i... that doesnt mean that you arent going to get it
That sucks, well I was one of the many that lost their 360 to the first Red ring case.
HAHAHAH!
My buddy got one a couple days ago.
He was furious.
I now sit downstairs while my roommate plays his 360, a big grin upon my face, just waiting, praying, for it to happen when I'm around.:D

' Wrote:I'm tempted to not play on my Xbox until they release a fix for this. 100$ is a bit much for someone on a student budget >.>

From what it seems, man, it's hardware related, not software related. I doubt waiting for some sort of fix is gonna help. Probably should just hope for the best.
I got my 360 on release day. So far I've had to send it in twice. The first time was about a month after I first bought it, the next time about a year ago. Fortunately they have never charged me for the repairs and the first time they sent me a temporary replacement 360 to use while they were fixing mine.

I never sent the temporary one back and they never asked. ;-).
I have a 360 elite. And guess what. I had to send mine back after only a year of having it. And trust me the whole year i had it i used it for about 100 hours at the very most. If i was given the choice now i wouldnt buy one. Dont get me wrong though. It took less time for the consol to be sent away and sent back to me, than it did for me to get the thing ready to be sent away in the first place:D
Microsofts 360 is just the most failed Console i ever saw, really, which Company build up a tool that shows you, "Hey you have no luck you bought a broken one" *BLINK-Ring goes Red*, that means they knew there will be Problems and the Loser in this Game is the Customer ...
Pages: 1 2