Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Gunboat/gunship balancing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Red Hessian Gunship 'Heimdall'
Outcast Gunship 'Tridente'
Order Gunboat 'Hathor'

Steering, Angular and Rotation need to be multiplied by 1000
while we're at it, let's divide the BHG gunship's stats by 1000...

Oh, and give the Rogue GB a BS turret.

The balance is fine, don't worry
The Heimdall is quite big (might just be my perspective) and has not the best powerplant. It is an agile gunboat, I will admit, but its fire arcs only point forward. It is plainly designed to kill fighters and bombers, as it has high turning and good dodging capabilities. I don't know how I'm going to turn the Tiger into a Rheinland Gunboat killer, as they seem superior in anti-cap combat.

The Ostwind, the Heimdall you've likely fought often, is designed to kill fighters and bombers. It can already have trouble at doing that already, as the Rheinland Bomber -can- get behind it.

edited.
It does really seem that the BHG gunship is overpowered. To be honest I haven't had a ton of experience against them but i have heard some horror stories. It's hard to tell if it is unbalanced though as it is the only ship of it's class I believe (or perhaps one of the few).
I can comment on the Gunship as well.

It's hardly overpowered at all. It is an anti-fighter/bomber gunboat now, and will not stand up to larger gunboats alone. It has six turrets, four which can fire forwards. Even the forward turrets have poor firing arcs - you can't hit much apart from around the middle of the screen. It has a low powerplant, designed to maintain anti fighter turrets and/or a single missile turret. It is very agile, and is good at dodging supernova and mortar / battle razor rounds.

Those horror stories you are referring to likely are 4.84 tales, where it was quite powerful (ridiculously so with a Cap 8 armour upgrade).
i d be pleased to suggest deactivating all but 4 turrets on other gunships while decreasing their size down and increasing the agility - along with a small powerplant ( 4 zoner turrets drain it dry fairly quickly )

can only say something about the order gunboat - it trades off agility for twice the guns of the zoner gunboat on which it is based on. it has 8 guns and all fire forwards.

the tridente also has 8 guns - but 6 fire straigh forward - while 2 have a generouc rearwards arc but can fire when the tridente makes a sharp turn. ( basicly a standards GB with 2 additional turrets in rare occasions )

point is - they are simply different ships...

the hathor can kill other gunboats - all alone AND keep weapons for anti-fighter duty.
Well I suppose I will have to try that Order gunboat someday, thanks for the info Jinx and Fitz. Oh and some of the horror stories were from here (4.85): http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...1735&st=270 , i think it is mostly tenacity talking about how they own him but still, might be worth looking at.
The Gunship can be used in groups in an anti-capital ship role, as small things are hard to hit in big things. Capital ship turrets will not do well against bounty hunter gunships, as they are small and agile. on their own, they can't do much to other capital ships/other gunboats. However, in groups and supporting bombers/capital ships, they can be used effectively. So I don't think they're overpowered in terms of anti cap combat, just that they are effective in group situations.

The Order Carrier has its advantages and disadvantages. It would likely perform well against other cruisers, battlecruisers and larger gunboats. However, as Tenacity has pointed out, it does not do well against battleships and small stuff. The fact it can't deal with anti-cap gunships is due to the major size difference - I'm sure smaller cruisers would crush them pretty easily.
' Wrote:Red Hessian Gunship 'Heimdall'
Outcast Gunship 'Tridente'
Order Gunboat 'Hathor'

Steering, Angular and Rotation need to be multiplied by 1000

That's an outstanding observation, thank you for spotting the bug! Keep us noticed if you spot some more! The devs thank you!

*stamps on Jure's seal of gratitude*
Pages: 1 2 3