Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Large vs Small: What type of posts more realistic from narrative perspective?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Usually, when I do read large posts I have a feeling like the character(s) represented in the said piece of text are slowpokes because between two words they may commit a crusade to middle-east and make a coffee.

However, I wonder what do you think and what posts size you prefer to read and write.
It's mostly about formatting, and keeping paragraphs short so they're easier to digest and summarize while at the same time not look too overwhelming.
i dont even read what my roleplay partner types 90% of the time i just write whatever i want and go from there
I try to keep it interesting but not get too long winded per paragraph.
I disregard an RP partners writing style and choose to pay attention to what they say/do versus what it looks like/reads like.

I do prefer concise paragraphs as opposed to a text wall, however.
I get straight to the point because we're here to have fun and play a game not read a dissertation

and that totally isn't my excuse for not being able to write paragraphs
(08-13-2020, 06:21 PM)Charo Wrote: [ -> ]I get straight to the point because we're here to have fun and play a game not read a dissertation

and that totally isn't my excuse for not being able to write paragraphs

Ditto!!
if i can make a sandwich in the time it takes to read your post, come back, read the first and last sentences, and achieve the same understanding as if i just read your whole post, you've failed spectacularly on at least two levels

there is nothing objectively wrong with a long post, the problem present is that people in disco have a tendency to bloviate and create large stretches of utterly vacuous text in order to achieve a long post, because of a running conflation in many writing circles that length = quality, something that can be evidenced by the growing length of what is considered a "novel" since their inception

write only as much as it takes to effectively convey what you are trying to convey, nothing more and nothing less
Hm, I now wonder am I the person like you mentioned
(08-13-2020, 06:42 PM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, I now wonder am I the person like you mentioned

not really, it's actually frequently native english speakers that are guilty of this