Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Seeking Bomber Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just come back to have a bit of a play around after a 7 year absence. A lot has changed, but most importantly for me bombers have been significantly altered.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to use bombers in this brave new world. My old Screamer & SNAC combo to insta-kill cocky fighter pilots seems to be out as the SNAC has been nerfed against fighter to prevent this (I understand to prevent insta-kills which I can see why to a limited extent), but my single player tests using SNACs against NPC capital ships doesn't seem to give them the x7.33 damage increase against caps as promised. Are SNACs still worth it/are they broken beyond use now?

My favourite was the Roc but comparing stats now doesn't seem to hold up very much against other bombers anymore. Noticed some bombers can equip freighter shields (wat).

Any best tips for using bombers now? Best ones to buy for an indie pirate? Do they stand any chance against fighters or have these changes deliberately made that impossible?

My current idea seems to be using the Neutralizer and Scorcher Bombs a lot.
The snac i was told still does a multiplied damage to heavier fighters and i do know some ships can be insta killed i have fell pray to many a bomber, they are still pretty good! I would have one if i didn't always walk into my own missiles! I used teh Sichel and thats terrible!
(08-15-2020, 05:42 PM)Tomtomrawr Wrote: [ -> ]Do they stand any chance against fighters or have these changes deliberately made that impossible?
Pretty much that's the idea.
They aren't meant to kill fighters.
(08-15-2020, 06:24 PM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]The snac i was told still does a multiplied damage to heavier fighters and i do know some ships can be insta killed i have fell pray to many a bomber, they are still pretty good! I would have one if i didn't always walk into my own missiles! I used teh Sichel and thats terrible!

Ah cool that's good to know, thanks! Might have to try them out in a PvP to see.

(08-15-2020, 06:44 PM)Hubjump Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much that's the idea.
They aren't meant to kill fighters.

Any decent fighter pilot could have avoided dying to a SNAC attack before, shame an expert bomber manoeuvre was removed by the looks of it.

Guess with the current arsenal fighters are still susceptible if they're stupid in how they fly.
(08-15-2020, 05:42 PM)Tomtomrawr Wrote: [ -> ]Any best tips for using bombers now? Best ones to buy for an indie pirate? Do they stand any chance against fighters or have these changes deliberately made that impossible?

If you wanna' go Indie Pirate, you won't be picking fights with snubs anyway, so for that particular role the bomber does the job just as well as ever.
Which one to pick? Whichever floats your boat!
Seriously, go for anything that you find aesthetically pleasing (and does not nerf your powercore by too much). The worst bomber in the game will still rain down doom on any transport that chooses to fight you or flee from you - if you know what you're doing of course.

I personally fly a pirate Havoc (full EMP+SNAC+Nuke), even though it's kinda worse than a Roc but I like the texturing so that's my boat. When a bounter snub or local authorities show up on my scope, I make myself scarce.

If you'd want to fight caps with bombers, that's a horse of an entirely different colour.
Well if you want to get the hang of things again I would be down for a pew in conn if you want. Come hmu in the dms if you want to train a bit.
Don't bother with bombers. You'll be dead when the first fighter joins the battle. I think you are better off with a SHF
(08-15-2020, 07:04 PM)Docent Wrote: [ -> ]If you wanna' go Indie Pirate, you won't be picking fights with snubs anyway, so for that particular role the bomber does the job just as well as ever.
Which one to pick? Whichever floats your boat!
Seriously, go for anything that you find aesthetically pleasing (and does not nerf your powercore by too much). The worst bomber in the game will still rain down doom on any transport that chooses to fight you or flee from you - if you know what you're doing of course.

I personally fly a pirate Havoc (full EMP+SNAC+Nuke), even though it's kinda worse than a Roc but I like the texturing so that's my boat. When a bounter snub or local authorities show up on my scope, I make myself scarce.

If you'd want to fight caps with bombers, that's a horse of an entirely different colour.

Good point, I do know what I'm doing against transports and I wouldn't have any problems there. Guess that's what it's mostly for anyway.

I agree the Havoc has a far more interesting design than the Roc though!

(08-15-2020, 07:26 PM)Daniel 'Dani' Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you want to get the hang of things again I would be down for a pew in conn if you want. Come hmu in the dms if you want to train a bit.

That's a very kind offer, thank you! I'll send you a PM now.

(08-15-2020, 07:58 PM)Nepotu Wrote: [ -> ]Don't bother with bombers. You'll be dead when the first fighter joins the battle. I think you are better off with a SHF

Not a bad shout actually, I do have so fond memories with a few choice SHFs. Might give them another look, thanks.
You can hold your own against a single fighter if you run full energy cannons and make judicious use of nuke + CD. You are still massively disadvantaged if you run yourself out of mine or CD ammo, though.

In groupfights you have no chance to fend off enemy fighters these days, now that the SNAC has been nerfed.

Bombers are still good without VHFs to pressure them, but when you enter an enemy snub into the equation they begin to suck really hard really fast.
On a side note - you don't need bombers to go all pirate on them traders. I've been flying around in a Loki collecting taxes for the Volksrevolution Wink Works just a well and you've got a standing chance against a snub if you're up for a change of scenary. Just sayin'.
Pages: 1 2