Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Adopted policies of DiscoveryGC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Username removed

delete my profile already
The rule 0.0 is feebly enforced because it was misused in the Heavy Decision and since then the team has been overly careful about applying it. Plus, the so called "toxic players" who have managed to dance between the limits of the rules for enough time to be considered veterans, are usually also very competent demagogues. Dealing with them means also dealing with an army of their close friends of similar mindset, self-proclaimed social "justice" warriors and various others randomly caught in the wave of drama. It can even culminate in hacker attacks on the server, and you probably remember that it has in the past.

It is easier to just let anything that's not blatantly obvious continue than try to impose such a vague rule. Arguably the drama show could have even worse consequences.

Username removed

(08-20-2020, 07:41 PM)Ivan Norovich Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine being such a pathetic trashbag you would attack a f2p game sever because the gm's didn't let you be an asshole to other people

Imagine not understanding that some people genuinely have too much time on their hands so they're going to DoS a server because it's not much effort and it's funny. Some people just don't like you. And to be honest, given how easy it is to blow up FL Hook, the genuinely surprising thing is that this place even stands.

I mean to be honest there were two major xss vulnerabilities on the forum that I remember and nobody did anything about them even after they were responsibly disclosed until I theatrically blew up the forums and pissed people off just because it was funny. It could've been a whole lot worse.
I try not to enter into community, except certain needs, to evade toxicity, and naturally, I am not familiar with 60-70% of community and I'd recommend to do the same, play and enjoy.
Yes, I like playing as Order for my own pleasure, I like Omicrons, border worlds and I am getting fun from even simpliest action there or certain roleplay.

Using this opportunity, I want to apologize before everyone I could unintentionally offend. Forgive me.

Username removed

(08-20-2020, 08:14 PM)Ivan Norovich Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2020, 08:02 PM)Vitoniz30 Wrote: [ -> ]play and enjoy.

Solid advice right here, if all you want is to fly spaceships and enjoy the game, do this and you'll avoid most of the problems, but if you want to take a more active role in the community, you'll be hitting these problems. Simply wording a question on the forums in a wrong way is reason for some people to scold you.

For the best or worst, the game map is quite big now, and if you have problems with playing in activity hubs, like Liberty/O-Delta or wherever, you can surely find a place with considerably less encounters with other players.

Frankly speaking, while the fact, that this community and mod still being supported is quite good, the overall game and mode are long passed their "golden" age, and I personally don't see much reason to log into game rather just chilling in my cap/transport whatever.
And I guess, most players who are not involved into heavy in-game politics and other stuff, generally doing the same.
(08-21-2020, 09:00 AM)Lonely_Ghost Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly speaking, while the fact, that this community and mod still being supported is quite good, the overall game and mode are long passed their "golden" age, and I personally don't see much reason to log into game rather just chilling in my cap/transport whatever.
And I guess, most players who are not involved into heavy in-game politics and other stuff, generally doing the same.

This raises an important point, that in its current state there is not much reason to continue logging after you've built yourself up. We do all of this work for some hope of using it with a purpose, yet we do it in a mod that is also capped options wise, and avoids real scenarios.

But the golden age is only gone because there was no further development of the mod, only pvp balance changes and artificial story changes. No work, after years and years, went into coming up with new ideas for new activities. There is a mod here that could be certainly used for more modern activities, but the leadership seems dead set against it. It seems like some have already written the place off and wonder why some of us still try? Because there is a game here thats never been played before. All we need is to place some new rules regarding territory and in game objects (like assigning even a virtual value to a planet/moon or station) and actually open up options again, instead of only worry about sparing hurt feelings of the less mature population. Because of that, this place is still choked off.

What we need is an attitude overhaul! There is still a big playerbase, many want to play but there is no point after a while. But thats only because nothing is done to save the functioning of the gameplay. All of the gameplay that was what I based my M.O. on when I came here was slowly curtailed and frowned upon, and all to spare players inconvenience when they should have been told too bad, as giving in wore down what made this mod sharp.

All this mod needs is a new thing that creates some purpose behind activity, that would entice players to have anything new worth trying.

As it stands, they have wars that are not real in any way. That undoubtedly is the most backwards thing about this place. We've had it sold to us for years tha players driving this or that would be chaos, but its never really beeen tried or sorted out.

There are no new activites but scidata mining, and that has also been killed by contrarians that weren't benefitting from it.

I know people see the mod as too small to bother trying this stuff, or that its too late, but it isn't! What I have been trying to get people to understand is that if they opened up the mod with some new gameplay options, and made it clear its OK to do stuff on a 24/7 basis again, people who loved this place but went crazy with nothing to do would likely give something new a try!

I had a bunch of suggestions that went nowhere, but its pretty simple, we need a new rule system to give value to territory, and players should be allowed to actually do stuff around the environment. They keep this place frozen but don't realize that even just saying " if you keep a military base by planet whatever", or if npc bases were placed by mods and allowed to be defended AND the planets had an additional value to factions, word would spread that discovery has stuff going on again. Otherwise this place has been eroded down for those that simply want to log for a few every so often, and dont realize that settling for that kills the RP server and a lot of potential activity for other players.

There are certainly ways to get things moving again and save this place, but they'd have to knuckle down and make use of the mod and work it more often to keep it up. People always said, and its the same now, if staff don't want to bother then maybe they should find some that do and hand it off.

Unless changes are done to allow freedom of action again, set up real scenarios with real consequences, and make use of in game objects in any way, its back to the shrink for this place.

To some up, how to fix disco;

-Assign rp values to planets/moons and bases, let the, be fought over in a fair and organized way in real time

-Don't have wars unless they are set up scenarios that let players exert collective force to achieve a goal

-Allow players to have more freedom again, meaning make it clear that cloaked espionage is ok again, and that any ship class can engage a transport if otherwise allowed by their ID

- Bring back options for earning big advantages like scidata for superweapons and OF perks (which could be thought up later depending on new gameplay options.)

Just to be clear, I guarantee, if we gave value to even just the objects in game like planets, moons, asteroids and big bases (shipyards, which are already valueable as ship sell points, ID sell points) and allowed players to try to be more active in claiming and fighting over space and those things, this world would become much more alive again. i have worked out details on it myself, if anyone is interested! Faction Battle System

As one last example, once you see those rules, a faction or house group could attempt to capture a shipyard by assigning however much of their fleet they want to risk, and week by week (turn by turn) move those mortal ship bases to that new system or area, and get their chellenge in. The point is also so that ship bases lost in battles can be replaced by new ones popping in back at a home shipyard. In theory, as you play, you'd see ships around that were really stationed there, or perhaps be on the move to a new area, that could be attacked in real time. (again, add repair ships to the mix and there would be a lot of new things to do!)
(08-21-2020, 06:15 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]snip

Most of what you say (over and over, I must underline) faces the grim technical reality. In other games where similar system is realised such "allocation of RP value" is usually carried out by algorithms with minimal control from a dedicated staff that is paid for its job. Now, let's look at Disco with Freelancer's ancient engine that can barely hold POB plugin together. Now burden it with all existing conflict zones + calculations and you will have a lag fest, especially for those who happen to live not so close to the server like me.

Secondly, the "fairness". The days of full server are long gone and are not returning for better or worse. Most factions are represented by the same group of people who keeps logging different factions for the sake of finding pews in an easier way. That group of people has their preferences regarding factions per se and there will never be "fair" balance. This is for me the strongest argument against RP wars with 100% of outcome decided by gameplay. Say, Liberty Rogues get favoured in most of the events and they smash LNS in all of the fights for the war event and take control, say, of California system. In this hypothetical scenario inRP disorganised group of criminals smash a fleet of a House with one of the strongest fleets in the game world. Rogues are not revolutioners that mobilise people or professional insurgents etc. This would make 0 sense inRP, but gameplay-wise it would be absolutely possible. IMHO, wars should be carried out through nicely-written scenarios like DnD with limited input options given to the players, like outcomes of certain battles that may impact the outcome of war to be written in the infocards. Still, it is an evolving scenario written by the story devs based on the observation of the RP revolving around the conflict, not on numbers that can be easily manipulated. Still, this approach has shown to have tons of other problems, especially regarding the quality of the war story (like recent Ku-Ga war that was not explained properly at all and popped up like a piano in the bushes).

What I fully agree with is to give players more control over what they do by adding up perks to factions. Current perk system is so useless that it discourages to make any efforts regarding making into OF. There is 0 point being an OF unless one creates faction from the scratch and needs own ID to do stuff. OP scidata weapon should not be game-breaking, tho. Not sure how good/bad NEMP was since never experienced using/being target thereof, but it got plenty of criticism both in favour and against its existence in the game.

tl;dr - FL plugin won't handle large calculations of automatic war and turn disco into an even bigger lag-dumpster than it is now; Give OF some decent perk system that would motivate people to get into offdom.
My main problem with these "We need Eve Online in Discovery" proposals is that they claim to be focused on the roleplay aspect of this server and say that they would somehow enhance it. How and why? PvP on the server is just non-representative gameplay. Outcasts can drive 15 Sarissas to New York and annihilate all Liberty players online at that time, even though it makes absolutely no 'roleplay' sense. Why would we want to attach inRP consequences to that?

The ability of an individual player to enjoy roleplay on the server isn't at all impacted by whether or not they can have a lasting effect on the game world (..Through methods other than RP, as the proposals tend to be heavily focused on PvP). There are so many things you can do in regards to personal character development, ranging from the character's own personality being affected by experiences, to relationships with other characters and/or entire factions. Why do you need to 'make your mark' on the game world through PvP in order to enjoy roleplaying in that same world? Do you really want Veteran Discord #1 to dictate the storyline by using their high activity and individual skill? Do we want "XTF" to be the inRP strongest faction in the game world just because of their playerbase/members?

I don't really get the appeal. Yes, Disco should be less stagnant and terrified of making actual changes to how the game is played. But no, in my opinion, that doesn't include making the storyline revolve around what Solars players shoot in-game. The game's PvP is much too reliant on players holding back/fair play to be fun to want to push everyone into 'maximum tryhard mode', too.
Pages: 1 2