Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Foreign Office, Kingdom of Bretonia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: jtEyOtP.png]

To whom it may concern;

My name is Marika Hornik, Director of Waste Management for ALG.

It's been a long time since the last, failed attempt at negotiations with the Kingdom of Bretonia.
Former Secretary East had at the time not given us much of a basis for talks, and we can only hope that things will be different with the new cabinet.

I will be frank and to the point. As we see it, we have a choice to make here: Either we abandon the Belvedere project and thus, the cleanup of New London, or we reach an accord. The former is bad for our business, and bad for the Kingdom's post-war recovery. So if it's in neither side's interest, I suggest we make an effort to pursue the latter option.

During bidding for the contract, we had already offered rates below the value of service for your benefit. We also do not seek reimbursement for the long period of operational costs we've had to bear without being permitted to fulfill the contract. There are no more discounts we can feasibly provide - if you will not allow us to pursue the original contract, we must pull out of the endeavor and leave you to find other options for the cleanup. A service which, I'm sure you're aware, no other company offers on such a scale and with such a degree of experience.

We simply ask for agreement on two basic points:

- The permission to open operations on Belvedere for the cleanup of the system's war debris, as initially agreed upon.
- The reduction of the overbearing police presence on the station to a level that allows for normal operation and respects our employees right to a reasonable level of privacy in their workplace.

I have strong hopes that you share our will to finally commence with this important project.

Regards,

Marika Hornik
Waste Management Directorate
ALG

[Image: 9JwWorU.png]
[Image: y8lK9YL.png]

Kingdom of Bretonia
Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Guten morgen, Direktor Hornik,

My name is Percy Wilkinson. I have been assigned to your case, and I look forward to resolving any outstanding issues between your company and Her Majesty's Government. We'll begin with the situation as it stands now, then move on to how we can resolve it.

As I review your file, I see your company was involved in the enforcement action at Aland Shipyard. Specifically, forces employed by your corporation took direct action against members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces in violation of §4.2 of the Bretonian Charter of Interstellar Law. I see that the BPA still has outstanding warrants for the arrest of ALG Vorstand members who were involved in that unfortunate affair. In addition, Her Majesty's Office for Trade & Industry has filed charges against a commander in your service, one Lisa Richter, under §4.8 of the Bretonian Charter of Interstellar law related to threats directed against Secretary Sir Henry Fairfax.

Now that we're clear on where we stand, we can move on to resolution. The presence of the BPA on Belvedere was a direct response to ALG's earlier actions in the Omega-3 system, and a condition for allowing your company to work in Bretonia. We are, however, willing to reduce that presence, as well as drop the outstanding charges against ALG's Vorstand, in exchange for a public apology for your company's actions during the Aland Affair. In addition, Frau Richter must turn herself over to the BPA to answer the charges against her. You understand that we cannot allow such public threats against senior Government officials. If she turns herself in voluntarily, that would be a considerable mark in her favour once the case goes to trial.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and finally moving past this ugly affair once and for all.

In Her Majesty's Service,

Percy Wilkinson
Deputy Assistant Junior Undersecretary of NGO Affairs, FCO

BRETONIA SUPRA OMNES
NUNQUAM ITERUM
CARINA, REGINA, IMPERATRIX
[Image: g0WA21S.png]

To Percy Wilkinson;

Firstly, thank you for returning to the negotiating table once more. It is well appreciated. The board will now address your points in order in its counteroffer:

1. On the matter of ALG member Frau Lisa Richter: we cannot entirely believe that charges will be filed for an off-hand quip that, while being unpleasant in its brusqueness, caused no actual harm to the recipient. Frau Richter was frankly, and entirely independently, expressing her frustration in the aftermath of the actions at Aland. However, we are more than happy to apologise for any distress caused to Sir Henry Fairfax. In addition, you should be aware that there is no position within ALG with the power to compel a member to a foreign jurisdiction and as Frau Richter, to the best of our knowledge, is unwilling to place herself in Bretonian custody voluntarily, her use as a bargaining chip, as with any member, is moot. Finally, we emphasise again that Frau Richter issued that statement in a personal capacity and not in the course of her duties at ALG.

2. An apology for operations undertaken by ALG at Aland, on the other hand, is out of the question as any apology for actions taken in the defence of civilian lives—our allies—would be. ALG pilots gave their lives in that altercation. We feel that payment enough. However as a further concession we deem it agreeable to indicate a public statement of goodwill towards Bretonia. This statement would reinforce the resolution of our differences and hitherto strained relations, the fact that we consider the Aland Affair to be long behind us both, and one that we regret being unable to resolve diplomatically.

3. Thirdly, the board is now willing to drop the request for the reduction of the garrison onboard Belvedere.

These concessions are in exchange for the lifting of all outstanding warrants against ALG members, and resumption of access to Bretonian space for the specific purpose of sorely needed cleanup operations on Belvedere, as previously stated.

Erich Stohl
President
ALG Waste Disposal

Message Class: Audio-Visual

Encryption: Kew
To: President Erich Stohl, ALG
From: Assistant Undersecretary to the Foreign Office Nigel Swindle

[Image: dea1b9b9047a2de798aeb5b5bd3f661896bca7ba.jpg]

Hello, Mister Stohl. I must congratulate you: your matter has just moved slightly up on our priority list. Instead of the deputy assistant junior undersecretary, from now on I will be handling it. I am Nigel Swindle, assistant secretary to Lady Mountbatten, our foreign secretary. Lady Mountbatten cannot, of course, contact you, because her duties are foreign affairs, ones with actual states. This is supposed to apply to the entirety of the Office and your matter would usually be handled by the Office for Trade and Industry, but having in mind that your company was recently involved in an armed conflict against Her Majesty, it is believed that the Foreign Office is better prepared for dealing with this issue.

This change of priority is owed to your apparent willingness for a compromise. We are happy that a willingness exists, but after your proposal was reviewed, we understood that it is more beneficial to ALG than it is to the Realm. And that is not a fair compromise, no? Rhetorical, no need to argue. The proposal itself does not damage us more than we can put up with and if this was an isolated world where only Bretonia and ALG existed, we would accept it. But as this is not the case, I must remark that we would set a precedent if we agreed to a proposal which we deemed unfair. One day someone on your side, or our side, will leak the details of this agreement and then everyone will know that Bretonia is fine with discarding its dignity for the sake of being able to forget about a problem. This will make it difficult for Bretonia to broker fair contracts in the future.

We accept the points two and three, but we are not satisfied with point one. You don't realise the gravity of the situation: your employee sent threats of murder to a Bretonian minister! Miss Richter is thus labelled as a criminal. If ALG is harbouring Miss Richter, then the ALG is harbouring a criminal. This is why ALG is held responsible until Miss Richter is extradited, and while ALG is held responsible for this, it will be impossible for you to do business in Bretonia. But I believe that we could come to a settlement. If ALG pays 20,000,000 Sirius Credits to Bretonia, then we'll drop our charges. If you agree to this, then I will send you the bank account ID.

If you don't, then I am sorry. I understand that scrap is important to ALG, but here in Bretonia we value our dignity more than scrap.

Open for Replies

To Percy Wilkinson;

We have a deal.

There's not much for me to say - it has all been said already. I'm glad that these protracted negotiations have finally borne fruit. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Please submit details of how we can finalise the arrangement.

Erich Stohl
President
ALG Waste Disposal

Kingdom of Bretonia

Esteemed Mr Erich Stohl,

Thank you for your worthwhile time and willingness for a compromise. Compromise has always been an important part of Bretonian political tradition. You can send the 20,000,000 credits to the account called QCG|HMS-Endeavour.

I hope for a long, fruitful and peaceful relationship between the Kingdom and ALG.

Nigel Swindle
Assistant Undersecretary, FCO

BRETONIA SUPRA OMNES
NUNQUAM ITERUM

To Percy Wilkinson;

Payment has been made.

Please inform me once our ships have been removed from your blacklist and your defence forces' orders updated.

Erich Stohl
President
ALG Waste Disposal

Kingdom of Bretonia

Esteemed Mr Erich Stohl,

You have also promised to make a public statement of good will towards Bretonia. You seem to have used some obscure network for this, because we cannot find it.

Nigel Swindle
Assistant Undersecretary, FCO

BRETONIA SUPRA OMNES
NUNQUAM ITERUM

To Percy Wilkinson;

Very well - a communication will be issued before we are permitted reentry. I must admit I had hoped there would be more reciprocal substance to base such a statement on than the grateful reception of a fine. Nevertheless, our press office is very good.

Erich Stohl
President
ALG Waste Disposal