Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Story of a Discovery Player // Highly ooRP!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everybody,

my name is Renow. Many of you know me or have at least heard of me. The name FTP should mean something to almost everyone.

After a few months here I would like to give you a little feedback on the whole server. I don't want to blame anyone here, I'm neither mad, nor angry, nor in any way upset.

Best meets my state of mind disappointed.

How did it come? I came back here after a long absence from Freelancer and Discovery, in the hope of finding a time-waster, especially in the Corona period. After a short time I met Mick here. We got along well, flew around together as junkers, traded, smuggled and had one or the other encounter with others, all of whom were mostly great RP.

Gradually we got the idea to start a group. To find others who enjoy it as much as we do. That went quickly and the story of FTP started.

To cut it short, we worked our way through rules, created the necessary basics and everything that went with it. After a short time we also wanted to set up a POB to provide us with special equipment. Trade and smuggling were also considered.

Well everything was fine and of course there were minor disputes, problems with some members of the FTP who had difficulties with the RP or who still have it, but we really just wanted to have fun and great interactions.

Then came the attempt to come to an agreement with BDM about the transportation of military salvage. At first everything seemed to be going well, but somehow there were gradually difficulties also because we had connections with other Rhineland parliamentary groups.

To relax the whole thing, we wanted to end this agreement, which led to tussles and further escalation.
(I have to admit, I don't know all the details because I unfortunately had a little less time)

We temporarily became hostile to BDM and KAM and wanted to take care of it at a later date.

We set up a second POB directly next to Bornholm Depot. The TwoSunWarehouse should serve as a trading post and supply station for our RĂ¼gen Project.

But it did not come to that. Shortly after the establishment, we were repeatedly visited by the BDM in the Omega 55 system, harassed however. There was a fight. There was also an entire fleet of a battleship and several gunboats at the door, around a non-militant one that only had bombers and gunboats. In my opinion at the time completely exaggerated, but you have a right. All of this was still understandable to me and somehow one could have made RP out of it.

The real disturbing thing came afterwards:

Suddenly I had to read that the Sirius Coalition had made a declaration of attack on our POB TwoSunWarehous.
I was waiting for a communication, contact or anything RP-related, but none of that happened.
Approx. 12 hours later, the base was destroyed by Coalition forces. Now was I confused? What's the problem with the coalition? we never had contact with them? The coalition initiated this attack by a player named Groshyr.

Well, I had coped with that too. I would later have an RP communication with you to explain the situation.

And now recently there was an encounter with a relatively new group called IE |.
A bit cheeky at first but perfectly ok for a Corsair.
Strangely enough, he not only wanted to tie me a small sum for trading and flying through Omicron Gamma, but also asked directly about a POB from us that must exist in Omega 55.
That surprised me a lot, especially since IE | Seems to be quite new and we have had friendly relationships with other Corsair groups. But in confidence I gave him the position of our POB The Free Factory. I offered him, like the other Corsair groups, that we would like to support you.

Not a day later I got a message from IE | via the forum, RP Communication. Here I am told that the IE | would have found our base and we would only have the option of counting while flying through Gamma, or paying a little less or we would get them as enemies and indirectly it was suggested our base would be destroyed by several battleships.

At first I just thought, great another overpowering new group that just puts us down and destroys everything we build up.
When I did a bit of the forum pages to IE | rummaged through to see what we are dealing with here, I also noticed that a well-known member is involved. Just again, the player Groshyr.

So now we are again threatened by an overwhelming power without giving us a single choice. Strangely enough for us again and the same game is there. Presumably others from his "circle of friends" too.

So here's my clear question:

Is that what the community imagines under fair play. Including helping others if they are new or have problems with RP.
We try to enrich the server, to be active and to make friends, which fortunately we have succeeded in some areas.
But now to be bullied, both ingame, in the forum and ooRP with multiple chars in multiple groups. To destroy everything that we have built and to disturb and hinder us in every corner of the earth is just absurd.

At the moment I don't know what to do, I am seriously thinking about leaving the FTP as a leader and also turning my back on the server. Under such circumstances, my time is too valuable to invest my time and effort here.

I will give myself a little more time to think about it, until then everything will continue, but I hope that an admin will read this and possibly give an opinion on whether maybe I just have the wrong attitude to the whole thing.

Thank you so far.

*To my disadvantage, my english is not good enough to have written everything myself. The text was created with Google Translate. Sorry for gross errors in the translation. I hope it is at least legible.
Just fyi, as a 1ic of IE| - I am the one who sent you the message and threatened your POB. Believe this or not, Groshyr although being my 2ic, has nothing to do with this. Mind, that I wrote "threatened" because we actually sent you the terms, and should you agree to them your POB will be safe or even protected by us (in case of proposed point 1). If you value RP so much as you are writing, it should be obvious to you, isn't it?

You can ask: "Why do you even target our POB?" The answer is pretty simple: it fully within our RP, server rules, and the principles of our faction. We are a bunch of power-craving Corsairs trying to impose their rule upon everyone within grasp, so that is what we are doing. You are either with us or against us. There is nothing personal against FTP or whoever, no crusade against POBs. Omega 55 is within our RP sphere of influence and we gonna try to keep it that way.

If you are so concerned regarding POB's security, building it in a safer system that is not a combat zone for Corsairs, Rheinland Military, the Core, the Coalition, and the Red Hessians might be a good idea. But you took the risk and erected it right on the front lines, so you have to deal with potential consequences of your own decision. Yet again, we offered you a peaceful solution and it is ultimately up to you what the future of the station will be. A perfect heavy inRP decision for your character.
Why not build your production PoB in house sovereign space, pay all fees and get defense provided for you? Omegas especially are notorious, only a madman would build a PoB he wants to upgrade and produce in without making 100% sure all groups are on board and bribed before he does so :]
You're trying to build and play in a dangerous area of Sirius my friend, you're surrounded by unlawful factions whom desire to dominate and exert their influence upon others. Even the houses like to exert their influence mind you, however at least they tax your PoB and then ignore it (They should protect it. I'm looking at you Liberty Navy). Often, unlawfuls see a PoB and want it removed, why? Some people enjoy blowing stuff up. Some people attack PoBs purely because it can provoke a responce and thus combat. RP slides inbetween all of this.

RP isn't always meant to be pre-planned or structured. RP isn't always about being friends, that's a part of the game.

That said, I do sympathise in a way. It feels as though you're being griefed right? We've lost many people to the drama of PoBs sadly.

My advice? Try not to get so attached to PoBs, perhaps look around and RP more, form allegiences. Accept that you'll have some enemies. You said that the Coalition took out your base no? Why don't you get in touch with these Corsairs, the Iberian Empire as they're named. They're at war with the Coalition. Perhaps you could hash out some form of agreement?
I mean, we, the Enclave, protected that Niobium Ore Depot before Nazoni went his flower mode and tried to sign muh peace with GC. If POB owner is paying tax to some (un)lawful group then this group should protect pob in question. Otherwise, there is no sense to pay.

Also, stop playing Base Owned Players, try to play RP, not POBs.

(I never been called a bully before. So exciting!)
if you want to build a PoB anywhere remotely close to Rheinland, this is your fate.

You will have to deal with factions with battleships, such as Corsairs, Red Hessians, Coalition, Unioners and federal/imperial forces. Its just how it is.

I would advice you, to never build a PoB anywhere near Rheinland or its border systems unless you have an armada of friends at your disposal, 24/7 to defend the installation
Hey - speaking from personal experience, the best way to resolve this is to have a healthy dialogue with the players involved. Discovery is all about sandcastles, and I don't think you did it intentionally, but you stepped on a few. There's nothing wrong about that, and it's quite inevitable if you want to play anything other than a boring, inoffensive, and stagnant faction.

With regards to Rheinland (which I've observed directly) - you were caught working with groups that have enemies (IE: corsairs are universally hated in Rheinland, Hessians are universally hated by Rheinland lawfuls except for a weird ceasefire relationship with the Feds, and Kruger/Daumann miners which are at war with the Feds and the Hessians). None of that is inherently wrong, but it was motivation enough for the Federalists to be suspicious and ask for an explanation and want the FTP to stop working with groups that they are at war with. Apparently some FTP characters were rude to some BDM| and KAM characters in space which is totally fine and good, but would also inRP not help the situation. After diplomacy went down (FTP was offered a working relationship with the Federalists through the BDM| for a time, but the FTP withdrew), there was no choice for the Federalists but to assume that the FTP was working with the hostile groups that they were found with, and that made them targets.

That's inRP - OORP wise, I recognize FTP is a new and very motivated group of players, and I'm more than willing to work with you guys to find out what you want to do - and we can discuss what needs to be done so that FTP and the Federalists don't have an inRP reason to shoot one another.

With regards to the base sieging, I can't really speak to anything other than that O55 is in the back yard of SCRA/Hessian/Corsair country - and given that two are terrorist space communists and the third is a food pirate empire - so they're not the cuddliest bunch.
Is that what the community imagines under fair play. Including helping others if they are new or have problems with RP. Those who choose to help new players are doing an amazing job, educating them so they dont fall under the sanctions and to help them build their ships, weaponry and other associated assets.
We try to enrich the server, to be active and to make friends, which fortunately we have succeeded in some areas. That you have.
But now to be bullied, both ingame, in the forum and ooRP with multiple chars in multiple groups. To destroy everything that we have built and to disturb and hinder us in every corner of the earth is just absurd.Unfortunately, thats the reality of it, enamies are around every corner, its how you negotiate and react to these situations that depends the outcomes.

At the moment I don't know what to do, I am seriously thinking about leaving the FTP as a leader and also turning my back on the server. Under such circumstances, my time is too valuable to invest my time and effort here. Don't give up Renow, what you've done for the server already has already impressed me (FTP|) and i think the activity you are promoting for the Junkers and indeed the server is a good thing to have.

I will give myself a little more time to think about it, until then everything will continue, but I hope that an admin will read this and possibly give an opinion on whether maybe I just have the wrong attitude to the whole thing. Its your choice, and your choice alone how you approach Discovery, if you feel its not for you its understandable, but if it is hopefully we can continue to have some good fun. Enjoy the good times, and ignore the bad. Keep fighting if you wish to be part of this community.

-Walcott
(09-05-2020, 05:47 PM)Jayenbee Wrote: [ -> ]Even the houses like to exert their influence mind you, however at least they tax your PoB and then ignore it (They should protect it. I'm looking at you Liberty Navy).

What is this potshot about? Liberty is THE safest house to build law-abiding tax-paying POB as Liberty Forces will annihilate anyone trying to siege it.

Maybe you are ~7 years in the past when laws said "It's your responsibility to protect your own POB" while in reality every LNS would take the opportunity to shoot some unlawfuls so even that fluff was pretty much pointless.
btw yes, liberty is indeed good place for POBs
Pages: 1 2 3