Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Transport Powerplants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well I've observed the transport powerplant regen is a bit higher then originaly intended... Thus power regen is a bit high, and most of the time power is not drained on transports... They feel pretty much like gunboats in 4.84... So in the intrest of good balance how do you feel about a slight powerplant nerf on some transports? How do you feel in general about their powerplants?
the reason power isnt drained on transports isnt because they have too much power, it's because their guns are crap.

Transport guns, IMO, are only effective if you can fire a half dozen of them at the target, and even then a pair of gunboat weapons would do the same amount of damage.

Every transport in this game is better off running than trying to shoot at anything, but I guess that's probably how the devs intended.
If transport power plants re going to be made less great, I think they should get cap style weapons...razors, pulse cannons, missiles. If not, what tenny said. Their weapons re crap....Give them interesting weapons, or leave their power plants alone.

Furthermore, Transports are supposed to be fortresses. They cost more than gunboats. In RP, empty space and engines do not cost that much. Out of RP? They're expensive because devs want to lengthen the time it takes to get capitalships...And now, the profits you can earn are lower. These ships cost about the same as cruisers. There's no reason a lone fighter should have any sort of a chance. A lone bomber should struggle. Transports? They cost up to four times the price of Gunboats. They should be on at least even footing with them. They can -already- (and will always, unless severely, severely, retardedly gimped) take out other transports. Giving them better guns will -not- make them better pirates.

Transports are not trucks. They're not even tankers. These things are Merchanter ships from the age of sails. The seas are stars, and they're even -more- dangerous. And people think our merchanters wouldn't sail with cannons? That's pirate bias.
Well from what I see transports can pretty much rape gunboats sometimes... Atleast Liners vs gunships... And to be honest that worries me... they can sustain firepower for far to long... (infinite) while they should have bursts of heavy firepowre they have slow and extended firepower... that's kinda broken... As if you have that much power why not just mount heavier guns...
this is why I think we should use a mix of class 6 and 7 turrets (class 6's dont exist, 7's are only used by transports) to give transports a more varied weapon setup.

Example: make class 6 turrets fast firing, semishort range like solaris guns are, anti-fighter/bomber oriented, then make class 7 turrets slower firing, heavier hitting weapons like cerberus cannons for example. Transports still wouldnt have gunboat firepower really, but they'd certainly have enough defense to stand and fight smaller opponents rather than running.
' Wrote:this is why I think we should use a mix of class 6 and 7 turrets (class 6's dont exist, 7's are only used by transports) to give transports a more varied weapon setup.

Example: make class 6 turrets fast firing, semishort range like solaris guns are, anti-fighter/bomber oriented, then make class 7 turrets slower firing, heavier hitting weapons like cerberus cannons for example. Transports still wouldnt have gunboat firepower really, but they'd certainly have enough defense to stand and fight smaller opponents rather than running.

/signed

I want a lone pirate bomber to think twice about going after my Luxury Liner. (Liner class ships should be the "capital" class ships of all the trade ships)
Yeah the last thing disco needs is a transport nerf. How would that make anything more fun.

I will agree with Jure somewhat though - people really need to stop using liners for things other than carrying dudes around.

When fights are being fought largely between transport fleets, then yeah maybe they need a nerf.
I can see where you're coming from. I thought the Big Dragon in 4.84 was a perfect example of powerplant usage - its guns could fire a bunch but it actually drained.

A rebalance in transport guns seems just as, if not more, logical though. Instead of having two pairs of kinds, perhaps remake two of them to be something different? A solaris transport gun and a slow refire, higher damage variety, with all of them using a bit more power perhaps?
Transport shield regeneration puts a big stress on the ship's plant. A ship that can fire all its guns with ease when left alone likely will drain when taking damage.
I fly the Firefly, the Bretonian Train and the Pirate Train. None of them seem to have powerplant issues, but in my opinion that seems fine. The Firefly only has a max of 4 turrets firing in one direction, so it doesn't do major damage.

The Bretonian Train has one turret, so we'll leave this one out.

The pirate train has good forward firepower, especially when the turrets are chain-fired against smaller targets.

I don't think transports should be changed much - just the "Liners" and stuff should be more restricted. While Liners now require specific ids, you still see OS&C liners shipping diamonds and other nonsensical commodities.
Pages: 1 2 3 4