Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [CNS News] The big rework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EDIT: It would be alright to discuss this undertaking here or the approach to it, just try not to spam too much so reports inbetween the posts aren't lost. :]

As you most have probably noticed the CNS News ingame have been rather neglected. They have been left stagnant and rarely updated to the point probably many of you never bother to open the News tab when you are on a base. While the Forum CNS & Beats is a handy way to simplify giving people new lore content, myself and a few other people believe for new people wanting to try discovery and get the sense of the universe it would be much more immersive and easy to provide the very same lore news in the game itself where it should be expected for them to be.

My current goal is to make news somewhat evenly spread around the regions in which they are relevant. Lawful news should be accessible to some unlawfuls by either Zoner/Freelancer/Junker bases or sometimes (by rarely) be printed directly on an unlawful station. (Capital) Planets will have most if not all lawful news for a region, but random stations will only have a select number of news so that they are more evenly spread out. Unlawfuls will have their news also available on some Zoner/Junker/Freelancer stations in the region they are relevant to. Of course this won't be a strict rule, but rather a guideline I go by to sort of create a somewhat even spread so that visiting more stations and looking around bars is encouraged. For reference most of the news I've already reworked have on average somewhere around 20 stations which display them.

What would be really helpful is some community help in the form of reports regarding any issues of neglect such as but not limited to:
  • Referencing lore/systems/factions that have been retconned out of existence over the years. This one is probably most important to report!

• News entries that are too irrelevant for a faction, for example Golden Chrysanthemums in Hokkaido having news about Hessians in Omega-5. If things go as planned I might be able to clean those myself as I go through my planned iterations of news fixing. Still would be helpful to report the extreme cases though.

• Bases having little or no news entries when there are news that could be relevant for said base. An extreme example is the Freeport in California or Thunder Bay Depot in Ontario. These ones I might hopefully fix on my own, but it would be good to know which stations are suffering from too few news to better include them.

• Bases having news incorrectly ordered in the news toolbar thingy. For instance having 2 news posts from 827 followed by a post from 826 and then another post from 827. This one is second most important as checking all those on my own would be a huge effort alone.

You can use this template to hopefully make things easier for me to process:
Code:
[color=#FFFFFF][b]====================[/b][/color]
[b][color=#FFFF00]Base:[/color][/b]
[b][color=#FFFF00]News Article:[/color][/b]
[b][color=#FFFF00]Issue:[/color][/b]
[b][color=#FFFF00]Images (optional):[/color][/b]
[color=#FFFFFF][b]====================[/b][/color]

And here is an example:
====================
Base: Ainu Depot, Hokkaido
News Article: [801 AS] The Battle for Omega-5
Issue: The Golden Chrysanthemums have no reason to care for fighting between Hessians and Corsairs in Omega-5. Please remove.
Images (optional): IMAGE
====================

By the time I'm writing this post the game has a total of 484 separate news entries that I will need to check and update.
====================
Base:Ainu Depot
News Article:[801 AS]Red Hessians Accept Fellow Miners
Issue:Not relevant to GC
Images (optional):
====================

====================
Base:Ainu Depot
News Article:[801 AS]Mining in the Blood
Issue:Not relevant to GC
Images (optional):
====================