Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Codenames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have one question. Why are there no sheild busting codenames? I saw the DEFILER on the list on Datastorm but it is not in the mod. Why not?

DEFILER: 1,500 sheild
: 250 hull
: 2.00 refire rate
It's npc only gun.;)
two reasons:

1) it was overpowered
2) it took away from the 'uniqueness' of the colada del cid and inferno.
Despite the fact that it actually gave lawfuls something with even a chance to counter them? I find it odd that between the four major militarised houses and the Hispanians, the Hispanians who arguably should have the least access to military equipment, have shieldbusters which when compared to the generic Deb's most others are stuck with are hideously overpowered.

Now, things may have changed significantly since .84. I havn't really paid much attention. But it looks to me that regardless, the Defilers have stats that are inferior by far to the Coladas and Inferno. Speed and fire-rate wise anyway.
Yeah the houses should/do have the most access to equipment and technology, but they also have to spend a whole lot of time doing stuff like building tradelanes and transports and mining ships and mining lasers and all that rubbish, whereas the ideas board at corsair HQ pretty much just says 'kill all humans: ideas?'
Exactly my point. We should either have House Specific sheild busters or have the universal sheild busting codename.
I'm gonna say this: Don't rely on your equipment to win fights for you. Freelancer is a very skill-based game, you don't need the best equipment to win.
All lawful factions have the Debbies, Corsairs and allies have the Coladas, Gallia pirates have their own shield buster line (dunno about the lawfuls in Gallia but I couldn't find one)
In fact the only factions really without access to their own shield busters are the small, unaligned unlawful factions such as the Xenos, Unioners and Gaians. If anything, the only new shield buster we need is a generic pirate shield buster. Using Ageria tech on a pirate never feels right... imo only lawfuls and lane hackers should have access to that technology, but since there is no alternative, what can we do?
Coladas aren't "hideously overpowered"...

600 speed and HUGE drain makes it pretty balanced. You're more likely to hit with debilitators if anything.
' Wrote:In fact the only factions really without access to their own shield busters are the small, unaligned unlawful factions such as the Xenos, Unioners and Gaians. If anything, the only new shield buster we need is a generic pirate shield buster. Using Ageria tech on a pirate never feels right... imo only lawfuls and lane hackers should have access to that technology, but since there is no alternative, what can we do?

Using Ageira tech on a Rheinlander...
Quote:Despite the fact that it actually gave lawfuls something with even a chance to counter them? I find it odd that between the four major militarised houses and the Hispanians, the Hispanians who arguably should have the least access to military equipment, have shieldbusters which when compared to the generic Deb's most others are stuck with are hideously overpowered.

The houses are sheltered, there hasnt been a real war in like 80 years in sirius history since the nomad war, and even that didnt include a large degree of fighting over a long period of time - it was a shadow war.

Constant conflict and combat are what drive people to make better weaponry. The outcasts and corsairs have been fighting one another for hundreds of years, the houses have been for the most part 'peaceful', with nothing more than pirates or the occasional border conflict to worry about. Up to this point, the houses have not had the need to develop advanced military hardware.

You'll notice that the conflict between bretonia and kusari has caused new ship developments and even new weapons for both sides - a lot of old ship designes were brought out of mothballs and refurbished to be used on the front lines, because neither house has really had military conflict in centuries.

Liberty and Rheinland will likely be the same way, but once again, rheinland is the only house in freelancer history that has been through numerous wars in the past few hundred years, and it shows with rheinlanders having some of the toughest ships around.

Pages: 1 2 3