Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Turret Zoom for Snubs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm wondering if there is any way to open up the turret zoom for fighters/bombers so you can zoom out farther. Perhaps to prevent abuse it could instead be rigged so when you zoom out at all on a snub, your trigger won't respond (no weapons would respond). Or even just prevent weapons from firing as soon as you go to the turret view...? So you couldn't fight while in turret view at all.

That way when not fighting you could still zoom out to look around while flying a small ship, which comes in handy when just cruising or sitting at a station.
I'm sure there's a way to do it, yea, though aside from screenshot potential I don't really see why it would happen.
is doing something of the sort currently, albeit not just like caps
(02-25-2021, 10:06 AM)Spectre Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure there's a way to do it, yea, though aside from screenshot potential I don't really see why it would happen.

There is. It's a simple change in one of our config files that blocks the maximum zoom distance for certain ship classes. I'm pretty sure this is how it's handled now. However this would be a change that is down to the Balance team. If I'm not mistaken it was removed a very long time ago due to weapons pretty much having auto aim lock (aimbot like) the further you zoom out. I might be wrong though.

[Image: 3dd2bd0991e0264cf9d5e413726c8b2d.png]
[Image: 83df0fab1ca84dfb0e4ae5eb8e97d714.png]
turret zooming for snubs was removed for very specific balance reasons

namely bombers and SHFs shitting on everything that existed with TS/TZ
Yes, zoom on snubs was removed for balance reasons.
Some people got banned for using it after it was removed from the mod.
I want SNACs for freighters. A few individuals know why.
Yes it was removed for balance reasons, but I see another way to have it without it being abused for pvpv. For every other ship I fly thats not a snub I usually fly while turret steering and zoomed out a bit. Would be nice to be able to do that with snubs too.
(02-25-2021, 07:18 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it was removed for balance reasons, but I see another way to have it without it being abused for pvpv. For every other ship I fly thats not a snub I usually fly while turret steering and zoomed out a bit. Would be nice to be able to do that with snubs too.

You make the grand mistake of assuming that just because something is added back for a certain purpose, it won't be used for the wrong purpose. If it's added back, it will still be abused. Even if you add restrictions, it will still provide advantages to snub combat that just don't need to exist. The turret zoom advantage is actually the reason why camera modifying cheats are one of the most common ones.

(02-25-2021, 06:45 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]I want SNACs for freighters. A few individuals know why.

Ah, yes, make battlefreighters even harder to beat with turret zoom and snac. Very great idea, 10/10, would improve game greatly. Sadly mere text cannot convey my sarcasm.
(02-25-2021, 10:50 PM)The_Godslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2021, 07:18 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it was removed for balance reasons, but I see another way to have it without it being abused for pvpv. For every other ship I fly thats not a snub I usually fly while turret steering and zoomed out a bit. Would be nice to be able to do that with snubs too.

You make the grand mistake of assuming that just because something is added back for a certain purpose, it won't be used for the wrong purpose. If it's added back, it will still be abused. Even if you add restrictions, it will still provide advantages to snub combat that just don't need to exist. The turret zoom advantage is actually the reason why camera modifying cheats are one of the most common ones.

So you're saying that in a snub fight, you'd zoom out and try to fight while none of your weapons responded? My point is its not that imbalancing if you stop fighting to zoom out a bit to look around, zoom back in to be able to fight again (if you can), Thats literally the worst case scenario. Otherwise it could only be used to look around. Feel free to hit conn and test it out to prove that it would be detrimental.

Fly any freighter with no weapons, zoom out and see how it is. Thats what it would be like. Since most people don't bother with turret view as a snub except maybe for pics, abuse is difficult and not worth keeping it locked out instead of having a trigger lock.
Pages: 1 2