Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Claymore and Caliburn rename
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why was this rename done, exactly?

Claymore is an ancient ship whose name was taken away for a new toy that already had one of its own (Warhammer), and the argument of name cohesion just does not hold up when you single out one faction like this.

Liberty lawfuls' theme is literally just cool sounding words.
River Bismarck in Germany? First time I hear of it.
What do Triumph and Obstinate have to do with one another? Valor and Perilous?
Invincible and Churchill? Fortitude and Dunkirk?
Titan rank in the roman legions?

I could go on an on, I think it gets the point across. Claymore and Caliburn were as cohesive as any other shipline in the mod. Are we to expect the infocard team to rename other 'incohesive' lines as well? Or were Gaian ships singled out for other reasons?

Please revert this change. It's a downgrade done for absolutely no benefit and asked for by nobody.
Perilous, Obstinate and Valor are characteristics, while Triumph is definitely out of the naming scheme but Gallant (another destroyer) is within it.
(03-21-2021, 12:51 PM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]Perilous, Obstinate and Valor are characteristics, while Triumph is definitely out of the naming scheme but Gallant (another destroyer) is within it.

To be as nitpicky as one would have to be to nuke Claymore and Caliburn, I'd argue the Valor would have to be renamed to Valorous to actually match.

Not that I am actually advocating for it, I think it's a really bad idea to be this uptight about cohesion.
I can't help but imagine these new names might be inspired by someone working on their RDR2 fishing trophies.

Just my 2c, but this seems like one of those 'fix what ain't broken' things.

The names Claymore & Caliburn were there to help clarify that Gaians are stereo-typically the Scottish of Disco.

Sure, Gaian players never really play up the scotish thing, like the Mollys do the Irish thing, but maintaining the original nationality stereotype is better imho.

Please, don't take away their kilts next, we may not like what we see.

...y'know, because Scots don...nevermind.
(03-21-2021, 12:41 PM)TheSauron Wrote: [ -> ]Please revert this change. It's a downgrade done for absolutely no benefit and asked for by nobody.

Ok, reverted. Have an awesome good day.
(03-21-2021, 02:51 PM)Marburg Wrote: [ -> ]The names Claymore & Caliburn were there to help clarify that Gaians are stereo-typically the Scottish of Disco.

Technically, Caliburn has little to do with Scotland. It was however fitting for a generally Bretonian faction.
Being very weak about Gaians, I must share a tear here too.

Those names always belonged to them and their elegant blade-shaped gunboat and destroyer.

I'm not saying we were seeing a lot of them Gaians lately, but I feel sad about how they lost even their ships names now. Mercy for good old Gaians, please?
(03-21-2021, 02:51 PM)Marburg Wrote: [ -> ]I can't help but imagine these new names might be inspired by someone working on their RDR2 fishing trophies.

Just my 2c, but this seems like one of those 'fix what ain't broken' things.

The names Claymore & Caliburn were there to help clarify that Gaians are stereo-typically the Scottish of Disco.

Sure, Gaian players never really play up the scotish thing, like the Mollys do the Irish thing, but maintaining the original nationality stereotype is better imho.

Please, don't take away their kilts next, we may not like what we see.

...y'know, because Scots don...nevermind.

Curren Molly speech of active players is starting to tilt Scottish actually. Heck, it even made canon in a CNS Beat! You're welcome.

As to taking away the names - Seems like an unnecessary oopsie to me
I would suggest we rename the destroyer back to Caliburn, and then the Gunboat to something to match Caliburn, like Galatine, Secace, or Clarent.

Snubs and caps usually have different themes anyway.
That rename is cringe, they've been fine as they are. A name of a Russian city sure matches the line.
Pages: 1 2