Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: PoB Scanner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi!

The idea is pretty simple. Players docked on a PoB can access the PoB's scanner (like typing /scanner) which lists ships in a given range (10-20K) similar to /net all - tlagsnet of police). It would make inRP sense as most space stations talk about patrols or hostiles showing up on scanners. It would also be useful to see who's outside the base while I don't think it would bring any harm. As for how hard it would be to code - I'm not sure.

Options:
- It's a constructable Module / It's instantly available on all PoBs.
- It's usable by anyone docked on the PoB / It's only available after login in with password
- It's a continous scan (showing if someone entered or exited scanner range) / It's a ping-style scan (returning a list of names once for every command)
- Cargo scan available too / No cargo scan available. Only names
- Scanner range is also up for discussion

Please share your thoughts and ideas! Smile
It sounds super easy to code
(Although some of the additional options make level of difficulty/consumed time very high)

(03-31-2021, 01:14 PM)Kosa Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

The idea is pretty simple. Players docked on a PoB can access the PoB's scanner (like typing /scanner) which lists ships in a given range (10-20K) similar to /net all - tlagsnet of police). It would make inRP sense as most space stations talk about patrols or hostiles showing up on scanners. It would also be useful to see who's outside the base while I don't think it would bring any harm. As for how hard it would be to code - I'm not sure.

The base of the task

Options:
- It's a constructable Module / It's instantly available on all PoBs.
- It's usable by anyone docked on the PoB / It's only available after login in with password
- It's a continous scan (showing if someone entered or exited scanner range) / It's a ping-style scan (returning a list of names once for every command)
- Cargo scan available too / No cargo scan available. Only names
- Scanner range is also up for discussion

Please share your thoughts and ideas! Smile

Colored in... colors, how much time options add to the task.
Green colors add nothing in time.
Orange adds a medium amount of time

So if we will assume orange as 1 unit of time
depending on chosen options
consumed time to do it can vary from 1 to 4
Updated my answer
That's very nice of you to offer an insight into coding difficulty! So you think the idea (with the lowest difficulty) makes sense?
(03-31-2021, 02:15 PM)Kosa Wrote: [ -> ]That's very nice of you to offer an insight into coding difficulty! So you think the idea (with the lowest difficulty) makes sense?

I am interested in making it, and thinking it will have a nice result.
(So highly probably I am not even against of implementing some of the additional orange options)

But I think that other people could have some objections, perhaps.
I'll put it to dev voting
If you want to see what's in space, you have to undock. This is what makes sense and how it has always been for NPC bases and player bases.
(03-31-2021, 02:29 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to see what's in space, you have to undock. This is what makes sense and how it has always been for NPC bases and player bases.

Considering undocking of unwanted entities can have consequences for the pob owner immediately, because players don't act like freelancer factions do...

I think this would be neat.
(03-31-2021, 02:31 PM)Skorak Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2021, 02:29 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to see what's in space, you have to undock. This is what makes sense and how it has always been for NPC bases and player bases.

Considering undocking of unwanted entities can have consequences for the pob owner immediately, because players don't act like freelancer factions do...

I think this would be neat.

Good. We have enough interaction avoidance as it is and pobs don't need to be completely babysitting players by telling them if there's a hostile interaction to be had or not.

Undock and play the game.
(03-31-2021, 02:33 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]Undock and play the game.

>undock from pob
>see swarm of hostile players
The rest is up to you.
Absolutely. Welcome to a multiplayer game.
Pages: 1 2 3