Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Discovery installer build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the issues with installing Discovery at the moment is that after install, the launcher has to patch itself and the game a fair bit. This is because we haven't made a new installer in a while.

I have therefore generated a new installer, with thanks to for writing the installer source which we're re-using, as well as providing art for the latest version.

You can find the installer at [snip]. It should provide a copy of the game that will let you play on the official server. A couple of developers have already tested it and it seems okay. Please give it a go, and post a reply in the thread - whether everything went fine and all is well, or if you ran into problems.

I'd like to hear feedback over the next few days and will replace the link on the mod download page next weekend.

Edit: Removed link for now
Does that mean that we are no longer going to use the launcher later?
Error, could not find file,
please reinstall freelancer...

Stuff that for a game of soldiers, after the agony of redoing it all again last month,
i'd rather cut my left bollock off. I'll stick to the launcher for now thx.
(05-04-2021, 02:08 AM)Xenon Wrote: [ -> ]Does that mean that we are no longer going to use the launcher later?
No, the launcher will still be in use. I'm not quite sure how you reached that idea from my post. This is purely a new version of installer, that reduces the need to install lots of patches immediately post-install.

(05-04-2021, 09:06 PM)NOVA-5 Wrote: [ -> ]Error, could not find file,
please reinstall freelancer...
Can you provide a screenshot of this? I'm not sure what would cause this.
No i can't ss it but It did try, loaded about 7 files, in the Discovery Freelancer setup when installing;
it stops with a message:

Unable to find file,
C:\Program files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\Data\AI\state_graph.db
Please reinstall Freelancer.
(05-04-2021, 11:12 PM)NOVA-5 Wrote: [ -> ]No i can't ss it but It did try, loaded about 7 files, in the Discovery Freelancer setup when installing;
it stops with a message:

Unable to find file,
C:\Program files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\Data\AI\state_graph.db
Please reinstall Freelancer.

Can you try the old installer using the same vanilla FL installation?
Yep, that all works fine & dandy, no problems at all,
even watching for a few hours to patch up is better than
having to reinstall all over again.

Old backup, old install, yey, old is best. happy days.
I just tested and the same two installers definitely work against the same vanilla FL installation, so I can't account for the error you've seen, beyond suggesting either:
* the file it's complaining about must have been modified between running the two different installers
* it was pointed at a vanilla FL install directory which was not vanilla FL

To be clear the intention is that the old installer will not be easily available soon.
I've removed the link for now because I think I've found issues with discrepancies in carriage return characters that might trigger the anticheat.
Remembering the old walkaround! We'll all get there in the end thanks to you's, what time is it now? 2021
"Papillon: Hey, you bastards, I'm still here!"
Pages: 1 2