Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trying to install 4.85 on a Vista laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Alright, I installed Freelancer with little trouble, and SP was working fine. Didn't even bother trying to get multiplayer working yet since I didn't feel like dealing with the workaround.

So I download the mod, version 4.854 with the updater, and try to unzip it. I installed FLMM prior, and didn't seem to have any problems, but when I try to unzip to mod file, it makes it all the way to the end, then gives me a notice that it had a problem with the common.dll file, and just doesn't work at all when I try to activate the mod in the manager.

I'm trying to bring over my backups from my desktop to the laptop right now so I can easily move over a clean install. If I'm doing something obvious wrong, please let me know. If not, I'll try to get more specific information on what the problem exactly is.

Don't even want to think about how fun trying to get online is going to be. I can't even get the bloody mod unzipped.

Thanks...
Tried running FLMM as an admin? It doesn't work, otherwise.
I've got my account set up as the administrator, do I have to do something else while opening it?
' Wrote:I've got my account set up as the administrator, do I have to do something else while opening it?

Right click FLMM and choose Run as Administrator.
<strike>Thing is, I'm not having a problem opening that or activating mods. The issue is with unzipping the file that needs to be auto-unzipped into FLMM. When I right click the mod file, there's no "Run as Administrator" option.

Do I open up FLMM with the "Run as Administrator" command, then open the mod file?</strike>

Alright, scratch that problem. I ran FLMM as administrator first, then opened the mod file to unzip and everything went fine. Time for the next problem, stand by. -.-
Better bet is to rename it to just a .zip file, then extract to the \mods\Discovery4854Beta folder.

Then run FLMM as an administrator and install.
I've got the mod activated, and the DSUpdater did its job perfectly. The servers show up, but are just immediately locking me out at this point. I'm downloading Avira right now, as well as the program to get rid of McAfee, which is what the computer came with and what is locking me out.

Is Avira a good antivirus to use? It's on the "white list" of DBoy's Vista tutorial. When I do have it installed, do I need to turn anything in it off before running Freelancer as the administrator, or do I just need Windows firewalls and antivirus off before I'm good?
When I was trying to get multiplayer to work on my Vista laptop, it literally took me about two days and a call to my ISP provider...but hopefully it won't come to that for you.

First off, you will want to forward port 2302 (and probably some others around that number). If you have a land-based connection, this shouldn't be too much of a hassle - just google 'port forwarding' if you don't already know how - but if you're using a wireless router you might have to set up a static IP address, which can take a while depending on how cooperative your router is.

Come to think of it, just go to http://www.portforward.com. It gives instructions on port forwarding for pretty much any router/firewall ever made.

<sigh>

I don't know what else to do. I've got the mod installed and functioning perfectly, have the servers coming up fine, got rid of McAfee, installed Avira, disabled Windows antivirus and firewalls (completely, using the services.msc deal), unclicked the IPv6 thing, and run Freelancer as administrator, but it still just gives me the can't connect popup as soon as I try to connect to a server.

I suck with this stuff. Cossack could have been speaking in tongues for all I know...

Anybody have any ideas? I'm completely stumped; I did everything the tutorial says.
Sorry, this was pretty confusing for myself too when I was setting up.

Basically, port forwarding means you free up a port (a path by which data can be sent and received). You have thousands of available ports, but Freelancer uses port numbers 2300-2400 for multiplayer servers (Disco uses 2302, to be exact).

Also, a device such as a firewall or a router (which has its own firewall built in) keeps many ports closed for security reasons, and the one Disco uses usually falls under that category. That's why you have to 'open' it, which is what's called port forwarding.

I'll try to make this a bit clearer. First off, are you using a router or have any firewall besides the Windows one active?
Pages: 1 2 3