Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trying to understand RPG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Usually I'm a passionate mission pilot but in the area I prefer to do my rounds there is nobody else.

So I also started with passanger transfers, transports, mining - always with characters bound to the correct ID, faction, ship, equipment.

What I found so far is the fact that people check my ships and routes sitting in their navy/police chars, sometimes even greeting me - then switching to their pirate chars in the next system and asking for some money for cigarrets and a sandwich.

I mean I understand that just hanging around may be totally boring but I try to understand the RPG idea behind this behaviour.

So no whining around, just trying to get deeper into this RPG materia.

Thx in advance for your POV.
(05-31-2021, 09:16 PM)Guzman el Bueno Wrote: [ -> ]Usually I'm a passionate mission pilot but in the area I prefer to do my rounds there is nobody else.

So I also started with passanger transfers, transports, mining - always with characters bound to the correct ID, faction, ship, equipment.

What I found so far is the fact that people check my ships and routes sitting in their navy/police chars, sometimes even greeting me - then switching to their pirate chars in the next system and asking for some money for cigarrets and a sandwich.

I mean I understand that just hanging around may be totally boring but I try to understand the RPG idea behind this behaviour.

Unfortunately, this is a form of meta-gaming that is allowed here for the sake of activity. It's not that you don't understand, it's that you probably wouldn't do it on your own. But these players will do it every single time. It's in your best interest to ignore what you see on the server join/leave list, and pretend this is an organic encounter. Otherwise, you will be chastised like so many others when they complained of this behavior.

On the other hand, think of this: When you looked at the player list and saw these "players" switching "characters" you were also doing a bit of meta-gaming yourself. So the pendulum swings both ways, and no one is innocent of it.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just saying how it really is.

The best thing is to never put things your character would never have the opportunity to know into your role-play.
(05-31-2021, 09:16 PM)Guzman el Bueno Wrote: [ -> ]Usually I'm a passionate mission pilot but in the area I prefer to do my rounds there is nobody else.

The best way to not get angry and have fun is treat it like:
8:00AM I was scanned by Navy/Police
9:30AM After I jumped to X system I encountered a pirate who demanded some SC.
every person on this server has hes own play style for better or for worst wich keeps the balance of the game.

Most important is HAVE FUN!
Switch of chars was within one single minute.

No, I'm not angry, I just wonder how "serious" the RPG is for some people.

I could have F1 immediatly after seeing a corsair just passed through the jump gate to wait on the other side, but did not.

As I wanted to see the behavior to follow.

But how fast can you switch from legal to rogue style? And what's the story behind?
(06-01-2021, 05:33 AM)BlackSamurai Wrote: [ -> ]

every person on this server has hes own play style for better or for worst wich keeps the balance of the game.

This is wrong.

What has been described is metagaming, against the server rules, and should be reported.
I think I have understood.

For my part I'll follow RPG with all consequences. Hoping to be a good and valueable member of the real RPG community.

Thx for your advices!
(06-01-2021, 01:39 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2021, 05:33 AM)BlackSamurai Wrote: [ -> ]

This is wrong.

What has been described is metagaming, against the server rules, and should be reported.

I meant from the point of view of the thread owner the transport.
Lets assume you didnt notice the list depart and log of the lawfull/unlawfull
Most of the time we cant really know if it is connected ingame.
It's possible to encounter a lawful ship first, an unlawful ship shortly after, and for the two to be unrelated. It's also against the server rules for a player to use the knowledge of a transport gained on a lawful ship, to switch to an unlawful ship to intercept and pirate it.

If suspected, this should be reported so it can be investigated by people who can tell if it's the same person.
(06-01-2021, 05:27 PM)Guzman el Bueno Wrote: [ -> ]real RPG community.

We do have real RPG community, but it is covered with larger lost-moral-compass community that you can find on every server. You have to dive deeper to find some pearls. Trust me, there are many.

It was quite opposite case before, but real players were leaving and new ones didn't arrive at the same speed. It's not easy to play fair, as you already noticed.
(06-01-2021, 07:36 PM)Pepe Wrote: [ -> ]it is covered with larger lost-moral-compass community that you can find on every server.

Let me guess, do they shoot Moral.Compass[TBH]? ^^;