Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello.

6 Years ago I made this thread asking if you had the ability to email forum members.

Its pretty disappointing to see such an obvious resource still not being utilised, yet people still standing around going "How can we save discovery"

There is a single 150 player server to fill... A server of a game that i'd be hard pressed to find somebody who didnt love it at one point. Granted mentioning 'Discovery' to quite a few people you see them look as though they've just been stabbed in the gut, sudden burst of intense pain as though a thousand bad memories came back all at once. But then once that has passed you actually talk to them about the things they used to do and about long forgotten epic battles or RP and they remember that they did actually enjoy themselves quite a lot.

Even if upon receiving an email from discovery 75% of them openly belly laughed until they were red in the face at the prospect of coming back here.

There are almost 28,000 forum members.

The average server players is lucky to hit 30 even on a weekend in the middle of a pandemic where you cant go anywhere, you have the power to fix this.

The Graphics are still great.
The Gameplay is still *chefs kiss*
The Roleplay is still good.

You're all still clearly working hard on it, you just released a new patch. This should have gone out in a newsletter.

Sending out Newsletters to every member of the forum would mean that even if only 0.5% of the users came back to take a look you'd at least have a full server for a little while.

DO. IT.
I imagine many forum members will have unchecked the permission to have emails sent to them. I know I have. Besides, any email from DiscoveryGC would probably end up in most people's spam folder.

But, there's really no harm in trying, so I agree. Send out a newsletter about the latest patch and maybe a summary of everything that's changed in the last couple years.

Also glad to see you're still around, Hidamari.
do it.
[✓] Do not subscribe to Hidamari ideas
[✓] Subscribe to Cat Facts
[⠀] Email me ever about anything
(07-17-2021, 02:09 PM)Hidamari Wrote: [ -> ]yet people still standing around going "How can we save discovery"

I like your idea, but e-mail is not a proper place for such thing in my opinion(not sure even people will see it in such spammy mess)
we need some kind of reddit style voting post system to make good ideas and news stay at top and not vanish because no one commented it in 10 hours, also ADVERTISEMENT(cringy ;D) in big places

to add there are also over 30.000+ request for Freelancer in GOG page, surprising in such place, this confirms many people still want to this game be relevant.

About Discovery server

Recent update? 10/10
yes there are still things need to be fixed, mainly community related.

also "AH YES" 28,000 forum members? half of them are Lemon alts and 10 of 30 Lemon disconnecting in space switching Big Grin

PS: We should make a Reddit page for Discovery to vote opinions I am %100 sure this will bright some good ideas to be seen, tho I want to do it
my time here is limited I will be having a long break soon
There's no way there's 28000 real forum members. These days everyone's got at least 3 alts ( and make that 30 for folks like Lemon Big Grin )

Based on another community of a game released at about the same time I'd say the true number is about 12000-15000 at most. Probably over half of them are ancient accounts of people who would not even be interested anymore, a couple hundred are banned accounts, few thousands are people who tried it once and then concluded it's not for them ...

Realistically, without new blood it's unlikely the mod can get a much more active playerbase again.

Let's face it, it's an old game / mod, the numbers are right where you would expect them.
(07-17-2021, 03:02 PM)LuckyOne Wrote: [ -> ]Let's face it, it's an old game / mod, the numbers are right where you would expect them.

I think people tell themselves that a lot here, but it seems more so that there are a few other ways we're not fully utilizing the potential playerbase. There needs to be some serious changes finally to really open up the flow here again. Not allowing much open ended activity or player driven story impact is the number one reason the place can't grow or evolve to survive. Too many rules (proven to be outdated useless rules) also prevent growth and interest. It's a dark cloud that's been lingering here for years.

Not only should they send out a mass email, but it would be amazing if it included an announcement that they're adding new activities and player driven capabilities to refresh the experience. Certain changes to make new open ended activity would end the dread and hopeless feeling and people would be more inclined to log on anytime of day, any day of the week, like it was years ago.

Part of the problem is that it often seems pointless to log and fly most of the time, and it is. There's no open ended system that keeps activity cyclycal and fresh, and the depth of the ongoing immersion drops. It creates a chain reaction of disinterest. Unlike years ago when people saw players were online in a place like Tau-23 and would log to join in the ongoing battle. My suggested Faction Challenge System is designed to ensure a never ending 24/7 purpose for players within the online environment (just saying).

But the current system suppresses activity outside of weekend peak hours, instead of promoting it. The current mode of locking out player usage of game resources/locations combined with fixed storyline undercuts an enormous amount of potential player activity, and we're in a constant state of suppressed involvement. If they make a few changes creating some real opportunities we could modernize the game in no time with nothing more than rule changes and the addition of one new staff routine. Send a notice out saying that big changes are coming and I'll bet you'll see numbers start going up within weeks.

As an example, the removal of Aland Shipyard by story throws away an immeasurable amount of activity. (Where Gallia could not succeed, the Molly's do with an act of terrorism?) People would have fought battles and roleplayed for alliances, for jobs, etc, on top of potential supply and associated gameplay [if player factions could request to challenge for control of a base in an organized way, like earnable sieges to change control of a base]. In other words, we skipped weeks of potential 24/7 gameplay and RP by removing the station rather than let players make use of it in that way. So its no wonder the server is far more inactive than it was years ago. If we really wanted to allow for higher average player population, that has to change.
(07-17-2021, 04:59 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Not only should they send out a mass email, but it would be amazing if it included an announcement that they're adding new activities and player driven capabilities to refresh the experience. Certain changes to make new open ended activity would end the dread and hopeless feeling and people would be more inclined to log on anytime of day, any day of the week, like it was years ago.

I think literally informing people about some of the newer stuff like NPC Bounties / Cap reworks would tempt a lot of older players.

A lot of great changes happen to disco and you'd never know if you'd forgotten to checkup on the website/game from time to time
Companies do it all the time, so why not. It isn't like it's any more cringe than everything else that happens around here
(07-17-2021, 05:44 PM)Charo Wrote: [ -> ]Companies do it all the time, so why not. It isn't like it's any more cringe than everything else that happens around here

Pretty much this.
What do we have to lose? It's not like anything bad will happen out of emailing people to show them we're still kicking
Pages: 1 2 3