Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Forum Grave Digging - Inquiry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen some posts recently where somebody makes a response after months, or even years, after the previous post. This is called Grave Digging (just in case somebody doesn't know).

Usually this is met with fire and fury from others, even if the post was insightful or brought to the attention old information that is interesting. Here is an example:

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...pid2237655

No response was about the substance of the initial reply. It was, instead, about resentment toward Grave Digging. For the record, I would have never known this thread existed and found the information (dated 2008) to be interesting. I might actually try to make a Sidewinder Fang!

So, this is the discussion. Is it ever acceptable to Grave Dig? If not, is it more/less unacceptable given the material of the new post? At what point is it considered a grave dig? Is there ever a case where it is acceptable? If there is no circumstance where this is an acceptable practice, what should be done instead?

Discuss!
I guess new thread needs to be made every time instead even if you don't add much new Smile

But that one wasn't enywhere else and it's such a cool/weird part of start of campaign I never noticed before.
Here it is - video of campaign where Sidewinder Fang made an appearance

There was even a diary entry apparently

And it's a real drink!
Actual IRL Sidewinder Fang

I know what I'm talking about ordering next time in space!

I do get many times lost in very old threads and would like to share them with people Smile There are bound to be many instances where interesting stuff gets brought up that has been talked about before - I don't get the logic too much of making new thread every time but rules are rules.
Trent drinks everything in one shot.
(08-04-2021, 11:18 PM)Maltz Wrote: [ -> ]Trent drinks everything in one shot.
Liberty ale he drank in two

And the Sidewinder Fang seems like a fruity long drink instead of the strong shot you'd expect from the name Big Grin
Creating new threads keeps things tidy in regards to who is talking to who. It's weird when you have massive time skips in a thread, continuing conversations from years ago between people who no longer read the forum. I think the solution of starting a new thread with a link to the old one is the best way to handle it. After all, the conversation is now full of people in the exact same boat you are. By clicking the link, you're now all people who rediscovered this old conversation and can now share your thoughts on the matter from a different point in time than the original.
I don't mind grave digging. In fact, seeing the profiles of players who no longer are around was actually kind of heart warming.

If the latest post is still relevant to the OP or the most recent posts, why not. It's not a big deal.
(08-05-2021, 03:17 PM)Avalanche Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind grave digging. In fact, seeing the profiles of players who no longer are around was actually kind of heart warming.

If the latest post is still relevant to the OP or the most recent posts, why not. It's not a big deal.

I agree with this. if the post is relevant, why not. Better than having many threads with the same topic.

The only exception would be dozens of pages long threads about community related matters. In that case making a new thread and linking the old could be a better solution. Although I would add that the new thread should be linked in the old one as well to maintain continuity.