Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Tour of Salt Lake Station
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

...continuation from here

[Image: albert.png]

Completely ignoring the scenery that is the cosmic beauty of space, Albert sits quietly in Pulsar, flying all the way from Kepler to New York. His interest lies in being able to future proof his home, not to be distracted by the bright suns and stars of Sirius. Once in New York, he takes the single tradelane ring all the way to Fort Bush and lands in Docking Port 02. Noticing that he's a few hours early, Albert goes to the restaurant.

"Excuse, uh, me. Do you have anything resembling a Chicken Parmigiana?"

The attendant shakes their head whilst pointing at the Sunbucks menu. Albert sighs and returns to the Pulsar and sits in the cockpit, mobile device out and reading through research updates from Starflier Base. After a long while, a notification pings Albert's device.

"Best get going."

[Image: X17Bp6O.jpg]

James Creed steps from the shuttle that has brought him the relatively short distance from Salt Lake Station to Fort Bush.
After stepping from the shuttle, he proceeds to make his way to meet the representative from the starfliers. As he opens the exit door a rather rushed person barges past him.

"Watch where you are going please"

As the rushed person picks himself up and stares at Admiral Creed.

"Please acce........Sorry Admiral may I introduce myself I am Albert from the Starfliers, and may i apologise for being in such a hurry....Sir"

Albert salutes the Admiral

"Good Lord Albert ..... you do not need to salute me"

Once the rather awkward pleasentries wer'e over, they both walked to the Navy shuttle that Admiral Creed had arrived on to make their way to Salt Lake Station which was the headquarters of the 46th Fleet.
After the short trip both Admiral Creed and Albert stepped from the shuttle and landed in the Civilian hangar.....

Albert : "Wow"

A sophisticated array or mooring points are stacked in layers across the walls of the hanger with only a handful of vessels occupying a few spots. A few civilian ships are seen, possibly owned by officers and flown when they are off duty. A Bustard-Class is seen, outfitted for combat and a couple of other ships scattered around.

"This is well above what we have in Kepler. Four standard docking bays are mounted on Starflier Base, all currently used. Shame we can't get any visitors."

Albert looks around in excitement. He's no engineer, but he does have an eye for detail. Once his behaviour settles down to his neutral state, Albert turns to Admiral Creed.

"Do you mind if I take notes? Don't worry, I'll check in with your security teams to make sure I don't leave with proprietary information."

"I can let you take notes of course Albert"

Admiral Creed adjusts his uniform as he let's Albert take his notes, and paces the Docking area floor just glancing to see what is going on, and how the engineers are working today.

"Once you have finished your notes Albert I can give you a demonstration from the control room of how the stacking system works .... but I am afraid you will have to watch from here."

"I must also point out to you that the Bustard vessel we have has a modified engine and is also capable of carrying many vessels, and I have to add it is a Classified vessel.
I understand Leon has one of those vessels, it is a very versatile vessel"

As the Admiral was speaking, quick taps were heard from Albert's device. His skill for speedily recording information was definitely helpful.

"Suits me just fine. I'll observe from here and see how everything works. Leon's Bustard-Class is configured similarly, though its use is more for research than for offensive means."

Admiral Creed nods and as he turns around to head for the control platform, Albert waits for the demonstration to begin.

"Do excuse me Albert"

Admiral Creed enters the classified code lift and begins to climb to the Docking Bay Command room.

Over the tanoy Admiral Creed speaks to Albert....

[Image: eoXSUSX.jpg]

"As you can see Albert each holding position for the vessels has at the most a stack of three. If we need to put a second ship into the first bay, the ship already there will move upwards once the second ship has been located at the initial docking point and then the ship rises and the other makes its way underneath."

Admiral Creed presses some buttons and demonstrates the capability of the stacking system as Albert continues to make notes.
The first vessel rises and the second one fits perfectly into position.

"Another thing Albert .... if the vessel at the top needs to be launched first the holding clamps bring it forward and lower it into the starting position ready to launch.
This means if the vessel is needed urgently we do not need to move the other two."

Admiral Creed now comes down from the Command room.

"Right then Albert, I think that concludes the docking bay area.
Shall we now retire to the Mess hall and have refreshment and then I can possibly show you other unclassified areas"

Satisfied with what he had just witnessed, Albert records the process of the triple stacked docking system onto his device. A few taps, then the device into his pocket, Albert looks up to see the Admiral right infront of him. He raises an eyebrow, internally remarking how a man of his age can move so quickly.

"Simply impressive, with it also being simple and impressive. I'll definitely be taking the data to Deep Space Engineering to create something similar for our own uses. Though I don't see us using too many ships to warrant multiple triple-stack docking clamps. Nevertheless, this helps us greatly. I'm feeling like a meal at this time, let's move forward."