Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trade Lanes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
in the past few days there has been discussed whether or not tradelanes could be rotated so one always enters them on the right side, and should we do it if it were possible.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35583

I feel it has been answered, yes it CAN be done. However, there is a side effect; upon entering the horizontal tradelane your ship rolls right 90 degrees for as long as it's in the lane, then rights itself after exit (pictures in above thread)I'm not sure if it can be fixed (it may just be a game mechanic that we can't change)

For testing purposes, Connecticut's lanes could be rotated so players can see what it's like and to experience the side effect. Doing so, we can see if players like it and can live with the side effect. This would not effect most players in any way and should be able to be changed/undone without too much trouble (but I can't speak for the dev. team)

I like the idea, specially when someone breaks the tradelanes and the position lights turn off. At least with this system you?ll know which side of the tradelane will take you where you wanted to go in the first place.
Why..why do this?

It actually makes 100% no RP sense.
The entirety of Sirius has tradelanes that are vertical, why would they all suddenly become horizontal?

Not only that but the ships end up flying sideways in them.

Honestly, you are creating problems where there are none just so that the trade lanes can...look better? Don't even know if they would.

If you can name one reason for this that is not:
A) IT LOOKZ KEWL
B) Makes it easier to choose the right one (How would it?)

Then you may stand a chance.
Otherwise, it just makes no sense at all to do this.
Nice idea, but I don't think you realize how much work this would mean for the dev team. I know how to do it, but with the small amount of time that I have for Disco, it would take me weeks if not months, even if I didn't play the game during that time.
Well the developer that answered the question said it was very tedious. First of all this is definitely an idea for .86 or later in my opinion. I kind of like it as it would set this mod apart in a somewhat distinctive way but I also dont like it because it would take it away from vanilla in a big way. It would just feel wrong to me I think.

Also I think when the game was originally made the developers must have considered this question. they chose vertical and probably had good reasons for doing so. I think it could cause congestion at intersections where three or more trade lanes meet. Right now traffic moves along the z-axis so ships wont get in each others way as much. If trade lanes were horizontal then ships would, by default, only be moving on the X and Y axis. This would cause people tor try and dance around each other and all sorts of other problems. Yeah, I definitely vote no.
I'm still voting no on this. It is an extremely tedious task to edit the tradelane entries in the ini files. And for a result that is far not worth the effort.
why you voting again we already voted on this topic a day ago
If Freelancer was simple then this could be easily done with minimal effort, assuming I have the right idea of what you are talking about. Which is a completely pointless idea. The concept of such pointlessness is equally hindered by the fact that Freelancer is not simple, it is a bastard, and we do not have the source code to debastardise it.

I'll probably vote no unless it is hugely different from what I think it to be.
You could put those in Gallia if you really wanna, but that's as far as it should go.
wait, what do you mean enter on the side? Im confuzzled
Pages: 1 2