Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Talks About Peace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Planet Orleans, Orleanais
January 8, 745 AGS

[Image: UNzlO0D.png]

Spring was in full swing on Planet Orleans: the winters on this planet were generally short and mild, followed by a long season of spring, followed by a short and hot summer, and then a long season of fall. These conditions led to the agrarian specialization of the planet, though outwardly it did not resemble a huge farm - rather the opposite. The graceful cities were as if part of the nature around them, often merging at the expense of the soft colors of the walls and the abundance of greenery within the cities.

In one of these, a meeting place was set for representatives of the Crayter Republic and Liberty Insurgency, who were to take part in the peace negotiations overseen by the Gallic Union. It was a large domed building with many balconies and wide windows, whose pale orange walls were in some places painted with orange lines. Somewhere you could even see an obliterated red rose, the symbol of the Gallic Republic, which had used this planet as its capital during Confederate times.

Inside, in one of the many testament rooms in the east wing of the building, everything was ready for the meeting, and its initiator, Marechal Antonin de Lusignan, was already there, gazing boredly at the passing ships through the blue sky, occasionally dotted with clouds. Dressed in his standard white uniform, this time he gave up his cloak, which he wore more for status than for necessity or convenience. His beard was neatly trimmed and his hair tucked back, and everything about his appearance seemed to scream of how calm and collected he was: but it was by no means so.

The situation on the border with Bretonia disturbed him: though he was one of the most peaceful and tranquil of the Gallic territories, the increased activity of the Union's unofficial enemy was troubling - not if Liberty had set them on it, for there was no adequate explanation as to how a house so far from its territories could get the means to conduct hostilities.

However, if the negotiations go well, chances are that the Insurgents' help in their fight against Liberty will help Gallia in their scheming against their opponents... However, right now the negotiations themselves are more important than what happens afterwards.
- - -
The Crayterian delegation had arrived in orbit aboard the government's diplomatic liner, an older generation 'Enterprise'-class liner that soon took up with the planetary mooring fixture. Arriving in a shuttle soon after the Aurum's arrival, the Crayterian Foreign Minister, Lily Ward, accompanied by her secretary Helena Simmons, took in the planet's environment before making her way inside. Yuma was far more tropical than Orleans, especially year-round, and her office in New Thessalonica practically demanded loose clothing.

Ward and Simmons soon made their way to the meeting room. Seeing that the Insurgent officials had yet to arrive, she took the opportunity to greet de Lusignan warmly.
"Bonjour, Marechal."
While not typical, Ward had made a considerable effort to greet many foreign dignitaries in their native language, and it certainly wasn't the first time she'd greeted a Gallian in this manner. While her accent was not as accurate as it could have been, her pronunciation was quite good for a Sirian. Simmons herself remained quiet.

The Insurgent delegation had arrived last, having to take their time carefully navigating areas they were unwelcome in, touching down with a converted Bison transport that was utilized during refugee transport in the wake of the destruction of Leeds. Disembarking came Fleet Admiral Linford and her assistant, Commander Amber Eclipse. The two wore what was likely the nicest clothes they had for such an occasion, older Navy dress uniforms with all Liberty insignia replaced with Insurgent variants. "It's a beautiful planet, much better than the constant storms we have back on Veracruz." Eclipse noted, taking in the vibrant spring on the Gallic world. "We really should get new uniforms for this, I feel like I last wore this during my graduation from the academy. Hopefully we can open a trade corridor and import many much needed civil goods after this conference."

The duo made their way inside of the building, making their way to the respective delegations. Seeing as they were the last to arrive, Linford put on her best smile, greeting them. "Marechal, Minister, I wanted to thank you for allowing us the chance to hold talks in this manner. I apologize for our tardiness, there aren't many neutral sectors for us to navigate on the way here."

Once both delegations had taken their seats, the door to the hall closed and a dim film of energy shielding covered the inner rectangle of the room, cutting off the hall from most outside influences-just a display of power that Lusignan had planned to impress both delegations.

"Welcome to Orleans," he began, rising from his seat, glancing over the delegation of Crayter and Insurgency. "I'm glad to see that both delegations managed to arrive safely, despite the distance from your capitals to Orleans."

"First of all, I want to remind you that many disagreements can be resolved through negotiation." This sounded somewhat ironic from the lips of a man dressed in the ceremonial uniform of the High Command of the Defense Authority, and therefore of all the armed forces of the Union. Nevertheless, Lusignan believed piously in what he was saying, "Today is the time when negotiations will bring us to a consensus and resolution of the conflict between your nations, allowing us to join forces against common enemies and in the power to help each other withstand the many threats that are eager to strike."

"First of all, let's sort out what your grievances are against each other," suggested Marechal, sitting down in his seat, gesturing for any of the delegation to come forward with their grievances.
- - -
Ward and Simmons took their seats, waiting for the Insurgents to take theirs before she began. Simmons pulled up a small electronic notepad to document the dialogue.
"Gladly. As you may be aware, Marechal, before the Insurgency's rise existed the Hellfire Legion, and while we didn't keep tabs on each other much we did exist in peace. The Commonwealth understood our position and we understood theirs, and despite Crayter's position between both Bretonia and Liberty we did manage to keep some trade going."
Ward took a breath before continuing.
"When the Insurgency rose up, we didn't interfere aside from pulling shipping from a volatile area. Once things had seemed to settle, our people soon found themselves on the receiving end of threats and issuance of gunfire, despite my own personal efforts to open up talks with them."
Ward kept her eyes shifting between Lusignan and Linford as she spoke, while Simmons merely kept recording.

Linford and Eclipse listened thoroughly to both sides making their opening statements. Granted, Linford was no politician and as such wasn't as much of a smooth talker, but would get her point across."The rise of the Insurgency wasn't as smooth as it looked to the outside. For some time there was still the clashing ideals of the Hellfire and Harmony. These ideals manifested in live-fire incidents across multiple sectors, including in Crayterian space. After Admiral Knight's retirement, things stabilized and allowed us to proceed to where we are now. With how things have stabilized, we wanted to build off of previous attempts and finally cement positive relations where we've needed to."

Linford seemed to have taken a breath, adjusting in her seat slightly, making her back more comfortable.

"Everything was brought under control, and now we seek to improve our relations and further cooperation with the Crayter Republic."

"You claim that the attacks on Crayter were carried out by rogue groups during the Interregnum in Insurgency?" was a simple question, directed to both delegations.
- - -
"Conflicting ideals on how to move forward rocked the Insurgency for a long time after the merge. This manifested itself in the form of task forces, against orders, engaging Crayterian forces. Those in these units have been thoroughly disciplined and reassigned to other positions where they cannot cause further detriment to our counterparts within the Crayterian Military. As this is the case, we do wish to pursue mutually beneficial cooperation with Crayter and it's people. I can assure you, the rogue elements have been dealt with in it's entirety. If you have any concerns, Minister, I will gladly address them."

Linford took the opportunity to speak first, wishing to lay to rest any concerns of repeat incidents and try to lay the foundation for a beneficial outcome of these peace talks.
"I have no doubts. The Legion, to my knowledge, was rather thorough with disciplining their own delinquents as well; No troublemakers tended to reared their heads twice. It was noted when it began that your flagship was among these rogue elements, but I'll assume that was dealt with rather quickly since it only made its appearance once or twice."
Ward sat back a little, setting her hands in her lap.
"To be clear, Admiral, we don't have many concerns with how your people operate. How they think and act, maybe, but the Quorum of Ministers has dealt with rogue elements within our ranks before. We do have issues with the company you keep, as on more than one occasion the Military has dealt with Insurgency ships paling with those of the Technocrats and at times even the Outcasts. I'd like to reach an understanding on that."

"The Outcasts are, as of this meeting and a few months prior, a staunch enemy of the Insurgency. The Technocracy were longer term supporters, but in light of recent evidence against them we've turned out backs on them as well. We are, as the evidence has shown, naturally opposed to them. To this end, we have sought out to make amends with those we have wronged before, and wanting to forge a mutually beneficial relationship. In addition to mutual defense, we had taken in a great number of Bretonian refugees from the war, and lack the supplies to properly care for them, or safely deliver them off world to properly start their lives anew."

She took a breath, not used to such long winded speeches and explanations, but she wanted to be thorough in the matter.
Pages: 1 2 3