Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Official Faction Activity First Quarter 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(04-04-2022, 02:12 AM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]why did you have to leave us garrett?

Love you, bud.
Sad to see Ageira losing OF status but at the same time it is not surprising. As people write, activity checks that only look at ingame time is outdate outlook at what factions bring to Discovery. But since the staff prefers to sit tight and do mostly nothing, and people who play with friends to boost activity but provide nothing much to whole Disco are comfortable with current way.

Anyways, take care.
What would be the different system though?
This is a game, it's meant to be played - if a faction isn't interested in playing the game for even 48 minutes a day on average what else would justify it being official?
(04-09-2022, 06:13 AM)Relation-Ship Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the different system though?
This is a game, it's meant to be played - if a faction isn't interested in playing the game for even 48 minutes a day on average what else would justify it being official?

What you say certainly has merit, and I don't think anyone would consider zero effort in-game to be acceptable. However, official faction activity checks were implemented during a different time in Disco. It was a time when there was much more activity. You might have an official faction with very low hours in-game and one or two unofficial factions clamoring for their official faction status. If the unofficial faction was too similar to the official faction, it may be held up from becoming official. It wasn't fair to the unofficial faction to have to step aside and wait to become official when the official faction was putting in little to no effort in-game.

Today, looking at the activity in Disco, there doesn't appear to be that same issue. Activity is much lower. Consider the case of Ageira. Do they meet the official faction activity checks? No. But, are there any unofficial Ageira groups reaching out for officialdom? I would bet not. Why remove their official status then?

It's like running a company. You might have an employee that isn't putting in the desired productivity you expect to maintain the job. You've worked and worked with that employee, but he continues to put in less than the required effort. The problem is, there is no one else willing to do that job. The little effort that person produces is all the effort you are going to get. If you fire him, now you have zero productivity. This makes it harder on the rest of the company to be productive, because you now lose an entire department and what little production they had. If this company problem occurs across multiple departments, then you have to sit back as an owner and reconsider different ways to adapt to the current situation.

Disco isn't as popular as it once was. When was the last time we reached even close to peak activity? Why not adapt to the current state we find ourselves in? My suggestion was to consider forum activity on the part of the official faction as a factor in remaining official. Particularly, RP activity on the forums that show there is an effort on the part of the official faction to generate in-game activity with other factions, official or otherwise. If there are sincere efforts being made by the official faction to generate in-game activity via forum RP, at least some in-game presence and no other unofficial faction clamoring for that official status, then my recommendation would be to let them remain official. At least there is some effort being made, whereas if you got rid of their official status, you might just kill any productivity altogether.

In the case of Ageira, it could be they are not producing any effort at all in regards to their faction. I don't know. Maybe they have given up. Maybe the current state of Disco makes it too hard to motivate themselves to log in to the game. Would their motivation change if the requirements to remain official changed? I don't know. But since there doesn't appear to be anyone else lining up to do the job, why not give it a shot? What do you have to lose? You could argue that if you 'lowered' the requirements to remain official, everyone would just do the minimum. That is a valid point. But, I would argue that the quality of hours being played would improve, if not the quantity. Factions would log in-game because they want to, not because they have to. RP presence on the forums would hopefully lead to quality RP in-game and benefit Disco as a whole.

That would be the new system I would implement. A system that reflects the current reality of Disco.
Fr5s are almost never used these days. Impact on the faction is minuscule anyways - unofficial factions get player requests processed the same way Official factions do. Your power over own indies is very small because you need to cater to them in the first place so they might join you.

Impact on story is gone - official factions are ignored and buddies of Reeves know more and get more done that Official Factions themselves. Ofs don't even have control over their own reps often these days. Perks get denied well, even when you put in hundreds of hours of work you get just ignored.

My point is you don't need to be official to play the game not at all. I don't think there needs to be a system change because official factions don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. And that's not a necessarily bad thing. You go after perks that are nice to have but not vital. Forum, own ID, extra lines, approving tech for others - those are nice things to have but not vital by any means. If you fail officialdom it's not the end of the world, all factions don't need to have an OF really.

Ageira has given up, to keep up the 3 days you need one thing and one thing only - a single interested person in the faction in leadership. That's it, nothing else. The benefits of being an OF weren't worth it for them to play the game.

I run Mollys and Core Force. 0 Ambition, 0 requirements, work only when it's fun and it works perfectly fine. It never occurred to us that we'd need to go for officialdom. Or in the case of Mollys even be on tracker. Factions like FLG need officialdom because the indie ID is outdated by many years without staff bothering to update it.
Some lawful Navy factions I feel need to have their sub forum first and foremost because of overload of threads, be able to do blanket bounties for indies, be in the OF list so people know they exist to keep the region alive - keeping up activity is worth it there and we make sure we log the necessary time to take it.

In the case of Ageira? Honestly, I am not surprised they have given up on it - not being official will have close to zero impact on them. Trading companies without a mining bonus in general I don't feel like have any incentive to be official besides "because we can".
Can't argue that being OF means nothing if you don't have biased devs to support your push. Granted, Ageira was lucky to get Stegodon into the game via rather odd circumstances, but it didn't hurt a single player either way.

And nowadays, there is absolutely no doubt that time is the most precious commodity we as players have. It's one thing to write RP on forums when you have a few minutes for it, another to constantly log into game to grind activity. Especially with dwindling population, interactions are rarer than it was a decade ago. And people who enjoyed Freelancer grew older, migrated to other games. And those that remained, mostly were out of gas and motivation as well. So to all players that still enjoy and keep this community spinning, keep doing it but be nice. You are all playing in the same playground.

Take care.
(04-09-2022, 05:27 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]wise words from a good man

My hero
(04-09-2022, 05:27 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Take care.

Keep Yourself Safe.
(04-09-2022, 05:27 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Can't argue that being OF means nothing if you don't have biased devs to support your push. Granted, Ageira was lucky to get Stegodon into the game via rather odd circumstances, but it didn't hurt a single player either way.

And nowadays, there is absolutely no doubt that time is the most precious commodity we as players have. It's one thing to write RP on forums when you have a few minutes for it, another to constantly log into game to grind activity. Especially with dwindling population, interactions are rarer than it was a decade ago. And people who enjoyed Freelancer grew older, migrated to other games. And those that remained, mostly were out of gas and motivation as well. So to all players that still enjoy and keep this community spinning, keep doing it but be nice. You are all playing in the same playground.

Take care.

Wise words!

Take it easy Snak3.
Dismantle the OF system, reform the of related rights to a more open use for npc related factions.
Convert the forum section to a sirian credit subscription, that will allow any active faction to have their spot on the communications forum wise, if they are willing to deplete their cash reserves, or actively work and farm/grind to keep up the costs of such service.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5