Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: POB Buy & Sell Functionality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Fair citizens of the 'Verse, I need feedback and opinions. (Stars above, I may regret this)

I've been tinkering in the player base plugin code for some time with aims to make improvements and such, and something that has long perturbed me about their current implementation is the disastrous lack of being able to set 2 prices on your base.

Tbh I was very excited when I heard Disco had player bases and I'm sure other share in my disappointment when learning that you only can show 1 value at a time. To me, if you're running an ore storage faciility, it makes what was an excited venture into a moneypit as unless you are one of those bases that do "only buy" and then "only sell" and switching all the time that way, you can earn no money for your facility's upkeep and therefore it is a net loss.

So the first issue I tackled naturally was this buy/sell.

Adding a sell value to the /shop menu was easy, and making the base handle the transaction logic to ensure the correct value changes hands whether you're buying or selling is easy and already working just fine on my test server (and been tested on existing Disco bases uploaded to my server to ensure they accept the new value nicely).

However, looking into the code, I've found absolutely zero ways to display 2 SEPARATE values (price on the left and price on the right) in the same menu. I can display one, or the other, and under certain conditions, make them change, but not in a way that has both buy and sell on the screen at the same time, and therefore not in a way that always makes sense, and it may not be possible. So, I've explored alternative methods, ever with the goal in mind to not mislead folks or have a "gotchya" moment.

[Image: unknown.png]

First to clarify terms:
buy price - Refers to what the base buys from you the player
sell price - Refers to what the base sells to you the player

First, in my test server, I've put in place restrictions to stop base owners/managers from setting a "buy" (price the base buys from players) value higher than the "sell" (price the base sells to you). so that we never have a situation where someone maliciously aims to steal all your money.

Additionally, I've added the /price buy and the /price sell commands to allow the player to switch the display between showing what the base has their two price values set for. (More on this in a minute)

Next, I've disabled showing ANY price on the player side (your inventory side) when in the dealer (commodity or equip) window unless you use the /price commands to ensure you are aware what you're paying or receiving.

Lastly, in the spirit of familiarizing folks during the transitional period, I added a popup window explaining all of this when you enter a base.
Now my aim if this is implemented, is to eventually downgrade this popup to a single console line like the traffic alert one you see every time you dock OR a toggle-able command to disable it for you individually.

Below is a short clip of its execution on my test server to visualize this. Please keep in mind, the transaction code will always handle the correct values, regardless of using the /price commands, these just switch the numbers on your screen to clarify it for you.

Please give me your thoughts on this. Is this something that makes sense to you?

Is the buy/sell functionality as important to other POB owners as it is to me?

Do you have further suggestions or ideas?

Put them all in here please!
The current method is functional. When the station is in stocking mode, owners can reduce the price of ores or whatever they are stocking with 1. When employees/miners are finished stocking, the prices are then reset to their margins. There are exceptions, but that's how I'm used to doing it.

This tool erases that process. Now, POB owners can profit off of employees or independent workers while employees and independent workers can see what their earnings will be at the time of sale while not having to change the price at time of sale. I really like the toggle option since the game does not provide the method to provide that information. It will take some getting used to, but once incorporated into a habit, this will be a valuable tool for POB owners who rely on mineable ores to conduct their business.

Very good change is good!
Being able to set a SELL and BUY price is actually a great idea and stops the need for a POB owner to keep stopping the sale of the ores while filling the base and then changing back to being able to sell to traders who buy from the base.

Implementing this would make it much easier than having to change the prices all the time and save administrators who cant always log make the changes and also the comment about money going missing because people sell equipment to pobs to get money (and I have experienced this ) where someone who was making equipment was emptying a pob I had of money by selling the item to one of the bases and it was jump drives so hundreds of millions was being taken by doing that.

I do understand that you can change values within the base to stop this happening but, you cant always keep track of everything specially if you have alot of items list in the base.

But overall I think its a great idea
You are a genius , You know my opinion already
This is simply a revolution in POB's business and markets ... Well done!
As a way to improve Player-Owned Bases, this is definitely a great first step. Nice work Smile
This is a completely CRUCIAL Change to PoBs for people that aren't nerds that don't want to keep zig zagging buy sell

needs to get workin asap!
Yes please!
A long needed function. Glad to see concrete steps being taken to make the concept a reality.
Good luck on your development efforts.
Great work at finding a way to make buy / sell prices a reality!

As an owner of several bases both close to ores as well as mid-route on several areas, I welcome the chance for the base to actually earn without my constant vigilance on the stock levels to see when the buy/sell shift is needed...

My one concern is for the consumer using this setup at the base and making sure they are aware which view they are currently in. My thoughts were maybe an item in the inventory like the Discovery RP 24/7 Server Rules item in your screenshot or the 'Sanction' type I've seen on some POBs around the sector but setup with the Buy/Sell instructions - kind of 'in your face' that you need to do something to change the view?

Otherwise fully supportive! It will hopefully stimulate a bit of interPOB trade routes or short-route trading for those that want to earn but don't always want to run the ENTIRE ore route...

Kudos! Hope to see this implemented soon!
I feel like adding a command to every sales process is too clumsy. Players are used to Freelancer having only one price and even the fact that pobs don't buy back your things in most cases is already confusing people.

If it can't display both I'm not really happy with how apparent this will be to players. I'd prefer a solution like the pseudo-refinery in that case. The commodity most people want this for is ore. So if the ore gets turned into a copy of it with a different name, not only does it feel right for it to sell for higher, one can set two prices.
Pages: 1 2 3 4