Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Starflier Guys | From: <Error-Unknown Sender>
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

[Image: images_1.jpg]
To: Starflier Guys
Subject: Opportunity is Knocking
Voice Scrambling Software: ACTIVE
Encryption: Godlike

A scrambled image of an individual is seen in a hood, hunched over a keyboard typing away. The voice is digitally scrambled.

So, I met you guys the other day in Cambridge, not sure if you remember me or not. I did some research on what you guys were doing and while I'm not up to date with all the Jump drive tech, it's something that I've always wanted to get invested in, you guys gave me a reason to research that too.

Any-who, I also took a look around your databases both public and private (sorry!) to see if you guys were someone I could trust and from all of the sources I could access, you guys seem to be trustworthy. So I'm going to let you in on a little project that I've been working on for a couple of years...without success I might add. For all of my brilliance and knowledge, it seems this particular avenue has reached it's end with what I'm able to do. I've attached it to this message for you to review and take a look at.

I trust you'll keep this private and not get any do-gooders involved. I'm putting my trust in you here so don't let me down. While I can't threaten any repercussions for violating that trust, what I can do is promise you a healthy sum of credits for your business if we're able to work out the bugs that this project has as well as any future profits from their sale if you're interested.

[J:\>Decrypt Line /force] The wise men know all evil things, under the twisted trees, where the perverse in pleasure pine, and men are weary of green wine, and sick of crimson seas. Go to the place where darkness looms, near the place of your rooms...I trust you know where to look to read this message. If not well...then...

[J:\>Encrypt Line /force] I'll be waiting for your return communication if you can find the decryption cypher. Use that same key to encrypt your next message. If you can't find it then...I guess I'll have to find some other geniuses to help me. I just hope they'll be as trustworthy as you appear to be.

Until then...

--RTRN-NULL

[Transmission Ended]
STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION

[Image: unknown.png]
Albert McKenzie
To: RTRN-NULL

But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win and souls you hardly save.

If there is one thing I remember reading in my youth, it is that poem. It is one thing to message us with such an intriguing request, it is also another thing to encrypt part of your message with something I am familiar with. Either you managed to find this from my own records on Manhattan or you may have interests that align with my own.

Despite this, I do have a hunch as to what this particular code is, I will be back momentarily to confirm this.

A moment of silence.

It seems your encrypted message needed a triple-layered decryption algorithm with a specific phrase as a base. I have read your entire message and have found it to be quite the project.

I also have to note that being located in the Texas system is quite good timing. One of our other crew members is due to be released from one of the prisons in that system. As much as you would like a scientists opinion on your project, I believe Burton to be more qualified. If you can spare a few more days, he will be released.

As always, Godspeed

STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION

[Image: istockphoto-1322205512-170667a.jpg]
Subject: RE: Opportunity is Knocking

It's good to meet you, Albert. I've looked up a lot of info on you over these past few weeks. I hope you don't feel that's an invasion of your privacy. Let's face it, with most of our data being stored on databases, how much privacy do we really have anymore these days? How I got the information concerning the poem isn't important unless you want me to go into a lecture on how certain heuristic polynomial equations can, with enough time, break through some older outdated encryptions utilizing prime numbers...see, I almost went into a lecture there. I guess old habits die hard.

Any-who, since our last transmission I acquired the ship I'm currently using but it's in dire need of completion and a renovation for my uses. As such, I won't be able to pick anyone up until I get the ship up to a minimal operational status which could take months on my own...that is, even if I were inclined to pick anyone up. While it goes in direct contrast to my previous statement about privacy, I value mine, and I'm in no hurry to reveal myself to anyone. I've made powerful enemies over the years and I don't need them coming after me.

This individual is in prison you say? I must've missed that Starflier record. I may have to dig into this some more.

Audible typing can be heard for several minutes as the individual on the screen types away before a chuckle comes from the figure. The digital voice scrambler making it sound more sinister than intended.

Truly? A Liner. An interesting read for certain. I've reviewed his credentials and it seems like he might be able to help me.

The figures tone changes after the last sentence, and they appear to become deadly serious.

Before we move forward with this, a few caveats:

1. All experiments will be done by me, I won't place anyone else in danger for my flights of fancy.
  2. The only thing that will be exchanged is information.
  3. Any information concerning this device is mine and mine alone. I won't suffer theft of my intellectual property.
  4. The Lawful Element won't be brought into this project what-so-ever. This project would be considered illegal at the highest levels of government.
  5. No one will step foot on the Data Breach and no one will look into my identity.

I will pay your people very well for their assistance in this matter. Please state any concerns or stipulations you have for this project and I will abide by them within the purview of my caveats. If any of what I've stipulated to you doesn't agree with you or your team, feel free to terminate this communication. No harm, no foul. But you'll be missing out on something possibly revolutionary.

Thank you for your time, Albert. I look forward to working with your team if you decide to assist.

--RTRN-NULL

[Transmission Ended]
STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION

Albert McKenzie

Yes, a Liner. I read many reports of what apparently happened that day. A conversation I will soon have will Burton.

The more you speak about this, the more it sounds like a job for Burton. As such, the more I feel inadequately qualified to continue with this conversation. Checking our records of the Search and Rescue operations, Burton has been scheduled to be released... a month ago? Interesting, perhaps he worked to gain an earlier exit from incarceration. We may have to find him ourselves since he does not know about our exodus from Kepler. Once we establish contact with Burton, I will attempt to send him your way.

I can say this much without Burton being present, the Starfliers are after any and all information that could help our own technological advancements. As for payment, we do not require it, though we will not refuse if any is sent.

As always, Godspeed

STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION

[Image: images_1.jpg]
Subject: Opportunity is Knocking

If this...Burton, is the man for the job, then I'll await his transmission. I'm out of Texas now though on another errand so I won't be in system for the foreseeable future. My...new vessel is also undergoing an extensive retrofit so I expect that I won't have access to a location to do my tinkering for some time--possibly months if my plans are anything to be believed. I'll be utilizing a much smaller vessel for the time being that won't have much room for doing the experiments on the [REDACTED. Previous events notwithstanding, I'm not suicidal after all. It would be good to have someone to bounce ideas off of in the meantime, however.

I'll be standing by then, Starflier guys. Just make sure that you continue to keep this on the DL.

Oh, and one more thing: Name your price. I don't expect this kind of work for free. I don't like owing people favors. Payment is non-negotiable. Name a price.

--RTRN-NULL

[Transmission Ended]
STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION

Albert McKenzie

I have stated our policy for payment, one that I am personally in favour of. Perhaps Burton will have something in mind when the two of you establish communications.

We will attempt to locate him, it is likely he is not flying a Starflier vessel. If you manage to find him before we do, you are welcome to try get him on board with your project.

As for me, I'll be preparing the Arcturus for an expedition.

As always, Godspeed

STARFLIERS COMMUNICATION