Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Torpedo Balance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was looking at some stats, and was shocked.

Sunslayer's speed is 57 m/s
Starkiller is 58

Nova is 105

Now, to compare them all properly:

Sunslayer
Hull Damage: 18550
Shield Damage: 9275
Range: 2700m
Speed: 57 m/s
Refire: 0.25
Turn rate: 0.30

Starkiller
Hull Damage: 12100
Shield Damage: 6050
Range: 1500m
Speed: 58 m/s
Refire: 0.33
Turn rate: 0.60

Nova
Hull Damage: 165000
Shield Damage: 82500
Range: 4200m
Speed: 105 m/s
Refire: 0.20
Turn rate: 0.15

I simply find it a tad odd that anti-fighter torpedoes are slower than are anti-capital ship torps. Is this for balance vs. fighers, or was it merely overlooked.

As far as I know, the 57/58 speeds are from Vanilla.
Thing is that the Nova has a couple second delay before actually starting it's flight, therefore making it very close to impossible to ever hit a fighter or another bomber with it, even a gunboat is a tough nut to crack with one if he knows what he's doing.

And if those speeds for starkiller and sunslayer are from vanilla, then I see no reason why they should change as I've always found it decently easy and possible to torp other fighters, though keep in mind that Sunslayer's primary purpose is still not all out anti-fighter.

Also note the 200% and 400% better turning ability.
' Wrote:Well braniac how often do you hit a fighter with a Nova and how often with a starkiller?

Once and none?...

I hate torps vs fighters, impossible to land the damn things. Maybe this is why...
Leave the Starkiller and Sunslayer alone but make Nova torpedo a bit faster. :P
' Wrote:Once and none?...

I hate torps vs fighters, impossible to land the damn things. Maybe this is why...

Suit yourself, torps are one of my favourite weapons, you just try to force your opponent to joust you.
If Starries and Sunnies were any faster, everyone would hate me.
Quote:I was looking at some stats, and was shocked.

Go actually try them out and test them in-game, then you can be shocked, mmkay?

The auto-generated infocard only tells you the "average" speed of the projectile. But the Nova torp actually does this: 4 seconds flies only by inertia, then the motor kicks in and -slowly- accelerates the projectile at 20 m/s^2 ... meaning it takes roughly 10 seconds for the torpedo to reach its full speed. It's best used against shieldless battleships from large distance.
I was on the way to demolishing an Outcast Destroyer with Nova torps in a single bomber...until I strayed too close and got caught in my own blast radius!

Keep clear - strike true!

With its low acceleration - a higher top speed would let bombers use the Nova torp nearer to its maximum range of 4200 meters. At the moment I wouldnt use it at more than 2500 meters as ships can simply thrust out of its way.
How can battleships thrust out?
' Wrote:How can battleships thrust out?

<strike>By hacking.</strike>

You know the answer, you're a dev.
Pages: 1 2