Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: System co-ordinates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has any one at any time, and if so is there a link, deduced the mechanics of the co-ordinates system of sirius systems. Clearly each position co-ord is 3 dimensional but where is the start point. If no onm suree has looked at this, and I'm sure someone has then I intend to dive into this myself. Regards to all.
If I understood your question correct, the answer is enter of the system map is 0, 0, 0 coordinates which on navmap is the exact center of the map. So coordinates might be positive (as 1500, 0, 1500 (0 is height) or negative (as -1500, 0, -1500).
I worked it out years ago and made myself a little drawing

Basically:

If the first set of figures is negative and the third is negative it is the top left quadrant.
If the first set of figures is positive and the third is negative it is the top right quadrant.
If the first set of figures is negative and the third is positive it is the bottom left quadrant.
If the first set of figures is positive and the third is positive it is the bottom right quadrant.

The second digit denotes above/below the plane with a positve figure being above.

The figures are in m (as used on your distance setting in your screen).

First set of figures denotes distance left/right from the centre.
Third set of figures denotes distance up/down from the centre.

ie -17669 5 33532 means it is in the bottom left quadrant and above the plane.

And it is 17.669km left of the centre, 33.532km down from the centre and 5m above the plane.

Hopefully it makes sense to you.

PS.

Effectively your Game Map is divided in to 4 quadrants

First figure is negative = distance left of centre.

Second figure = distance above/below the plane (positive being above).

Third figure is negative = distance up from centre.
First figure is positive = distance right of centre.

Third figure is negative = distance up from centre.
First figure is negative = distance left of centre.

Third figure is positive = distance down from centre.
First figure is positive = distance right of centre.

Third figure is positive = distance down from centre.
If you do this to request POB movement or similar, you can just use "pos" or "/pos" in SP or MP respectively and it will give you coordinates where your ship is placed at the moment
That's brilliant, thank you and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm a former surveyor so it should fall into place.
Thanks great work.
For Groshyr. I understand your answer but if 0,0,0 is the center of the map and most items are on the plane then those items are not relative to the center of the map and the center of the plane is a reference co-ordinate in it's own right. However it is a good theory to work on and St.Denis has a neat working model which works as I have just tested. 2 good practices to work with.
I am not sure why you need it, but if you looking forward system editing I recommend to take a look at this tool
(07-21-2022, 12:28 PM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure why you need it, but if you looking forward system editing I recommend to take a look at this tool

I think it comes in useful for finding some of the wrecks that hold Codenames.
Hm, pretty sure someone made a script for that. I will check later, perhaps will find it
My interest in this is simple that I studied earth geometry and ballistics. Anything that uses a coordinate system is of interest. Sad ain't I
Pages: 1 2