Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Pre-LancerEdit Models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick question, in case anyone happens to know about it for the same reason I'm looking for it:

What was the last version of Discovery that didn't use .cmp files corrupted by LancerEdit?

No guesses or off-topic, please. I rather have a topic with no replys than another one where people voice their first-best thoughts like on Twitter.
What do you mean? Models exported from LancerEdit back when it wrote wrong padding byte into VMeshGroup (didn't affect the game, but other tools expecting specific value would not read those files properly) or what? Models exported from Milkshape (regardless of exporter version all of them are broken, technically)?

As I recall we didn't use LancerEdit much to export models, and since adoption of MAXLancer toolset we didn't use it, at least not that I know of. and might know more since they were fixing a lot if not the most of old models. There might be a few models left as exported from Milkshape and some from LancerEdit converter, I wouldn't surprised, mostly solars and such, anything non-pilotable tend to get less attention in general. Models from MAXLancer are easy to spot in UTF viewers - they write "Exporter version" entry indicating version (unless disabled).
I'm specifically looking for the one version when all models were still compatible with HardCMP. When the Devs of that time started using LancerEdit, models edited with LancerEdit were no longer compatible with HardCMP and a few other old, outdated tools. While LE is undoubtedly powerful and a blessing to have, it can't do everything that could be done with the old era tools, starting with giving flat/isometric views of models and set camera views from above, below, NSEW, which was something I used for creating graphics like blueprints.
(07-23-2022, 02:45 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]I'm specifically looking for the one version when all models were still compatible with HardCMP. When the Devs of that time started using LancerEdit, models edited with LancerEdit were no longer compatible with HardCMP and a few other old, outdated tools. While LE is undoubtedly powerful and a blessing to have, it can't do everything that could be done with the old era tools, starting with giving flat/isometric views of models and set camera views from above, below, NSEW, which was something I used for creating graphics like blueprints.

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...pid1552600

I'm using AutoDesk 3DS Max 2022 with MaxLancer and I can make blueprints just fine, check out the link I've sent you. You can also contact me at Discord so I can help you set it up properly Smile

Edit: Last 4 blueprints were made with MaxLancer and Autodesk/Photoshop. Previous ones were done with Cinema 4D and Milkshape but that was years ago.
(07-23-2022, 02:51 PM)Foochow Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-23-2022, 02:45 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]I'm specifically looking for the one version when all models were still compatible with HardCMP. When the Devs of that time started using LancerEdit, models edited with LancerEdit were no longer compatible with HardCMP and a few other old, outdated tools. While LE is undoubtedly powerful and a blessing to have, it can't do everything that could be done with the old era tools, starting with giving flat/isometric views of models and set camera views from above, below, NSEW, which was something I used for creating graphics like blueprints.

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...pid1552600

I'm using AutoDesk 3DS Max 2022 with MaxLancer and I can make blueprints just fine, check out the link I've sent you. You can also contact me at Discord so I can help you set it up properly Smile

Edit: Last 4 blueprints were made with MaxLancer and Autodesk/Photoshop. Previous ones were done with Cinema 4D and Milkshape but that was years ago.

That's cool and all, but I'm not going to buy Autodesk or pirate it like a teenager, just so I can make graphics. Besides, LancerEdit can create wireframes, too. They just aren't as precise as I would want them to be because of the lack of camera options. It's really just a tiny issue, and I was just wondering if someone knew for the same reason, given people in this community are extremely well-versed when it comes to creating graphics and using the old era tools. Specifically HardCMP was excellent for that one purpose, but also for some other things.
The majority of 4.88 should be alright, look for versions that were pre-durandal era
Is there something wrong with LancerEdit? I'd like to know if so, since I've still been using it.
models that are exported from lanceredit are rendered unreadable by hardcmp, that much i can tell

at least that was the case with earlier versions, but lanceredit can do everything hardcmp does
(07-23-2022, 05:10 PM)Goddess Astra Wrote: [ -> ]Is there something wrong with LancerEdit? I'd like to know if so, since I've still been using it.

Just a few small things, most of which are ignored by the game itself and some where fixed before as well, so it shouldn't cause problems there, however other tools might not like it much, HardCMP for example while UTF editor will still read those but won't display model preview. Some earlier versions of LE wrote 0x00 instead of 0xCC at VMeshData groups section, and while the value itself doesn't affect anything (it's either padding or just unused byte) some other tools expect 0xCC there, so they fail to read those models either partially or completely. In any case there shouldn't be much problem with LE exported models, at least not nowadays.

You can re-export such model in MAXLancer, it doesn't care what value you have in that mesh group offset.