Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: So I'm pondering making a new ship..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seriously. All of those Kith Somtaaw, Mafic, etc fighters, along with a few others such as the Wasupu, are just beyond oogly in my opinion. Some of them are just five polygons glued together and textured.

So I'm going to try and make one of my own.

This ship is intended for the Mercs, Vigilantes, Freelancers, etc. Furthermore, it is intended that this ship will look fearsome. Therefore the story for the ship will represent some sort of Zoner (because they have money mounted to their money) / BHG (Because they have ego mounted to their ego) collaboration. This would fill a niche: the Zoners would have an expensive heavy fighter to satisfy the needs of wealthy independents. This would be in addition to, or a replacement for, the Virage, which hardly anyone uses, for good reason. (Big white pipes? What is this, a starfighter or a plumbing project?)

I have some ideas in mind, and I'm at the point where I need some questions answered before I can start.

1. Is there a modeling program one can use for this that is free, and not a trial?

2. The design I've got in my mind has four class 10 guns, and four class 9's (8's?). As far as I know, the only ship in the game right now that has this many guns on it is the Raven's Claw, and that ship was made Phantom-only with the introduction of the 4.85 betas. So, is having 8 guns something that's pretty much limited to that ship or can I get away with it here?

I could change the design to accomodate six guns, but it wouldn't look as nice in my opinion.

3. Are there guidelines for what a ship's stats should be? Can one stat be lowered to justify the increase in another stat?
do you have a model built yet?
Before dreaming up all this up, I suggest you try metasequoia as a modelling program. Once you'll have spent about a couple of months trying and testing, come back with a model.

I've known only one miracle that progressed within a single year to excellent level, and it is Jinx.
' Wrote:do you have a model built yet?
"I have some ideas in mind, and I'm at the point where I need some questions answered before I can start."

And, I've done some modeling in the past in other programs (Hammer) so I'm hoping my learning curve will be shorter than some.
as I said you can use metasequoia. It is free until you need to export. Download the shareware please. The freeware is apparently pretty limited in function for some reason.

Also, your ship seems to want to claim the title of SHF with such heavy weaponery. Igiss doesnt want anymore SHF in this mod, and I dont know how many more time will I repeat this.

for the best chances of adding something in the mod, just use standard stats. VHF; 6 guns, 4 class 10, 2 class 9 for one.
Straight from the Zoner R&D labs, I bring you:

The Vampire!

[Image: 15682295j.jpg]

[Image: 21410670.jpg]

Or, the long-awaited answer to the age-old question: What would happen if an ant and a TIE fighter had a baby?!?!?

:unsure:
It would make the Bretonian Paladin...

though more seriously... this thing is way too obviously inspired from a TIE... I just looked at the wing, to recognize it... and then you said Vampire - TIE Vampire, ouh, connection was pretty easy at that point...
' Wrote:It would make the Bretonian Paladin...

though more seriously... this thing is way too obviously inspired from a TIE... I just looked at the wing, to recognize it... and then you said Vampire - TIE Vampire, ouh, connection was pretty easy at that point...

Actually I just made that part up, the front is supposed to look like fangs. :O
they look more like mandible...
Is it just me... or did you smooth the fuselage on that ship? Also, the fact that you can see all those gaps in the wings suggest to me that you have holes in your mesh, as I have learned. Might want to look into that.
Pages: 1 2