Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Corebarn Tyto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Name: Corebarn "Core" Tyto
Origin: uncertain, possibly Bretonian
Affiliated home world: Planet Houston

Background

A small child was discovered on board a Bretonian trading vessel docked in the Manhattan Trading District without any other type of identification but the standard ID chip identifying him as Corebarn Tyto. No previous records on the child or his possible parents could be found in neither the ship's logs, nor the Liberterian and the Bretonian ID systems. The child was quickly registered in the orphanage system of Liberty and started bouncing from home to home, place to place.

The child had a tendency to escape the homes that he was assigned to, be it for unknown reasons (rumor has it the families were not in fact suited for such an endeavor as an orphan child might be. They say the pay is decent though). One night, when the boy was around 9 years old, the LPI caught him red handed stealing food in the restaurant district of Manhattan. Due to having a record from his uprising, Corebarn was sent to Planet Houston to fend for himself, just like many others before him. The local law enforcement's reasoning being as simple as "keeping the streets of Manhattan clean from the filth" (their words, not mine).

The kid learnt the lay of the land, lifting credits from off-world trader pockets and helping out the local crime factions with minor jobs they would offer. When Corebarn wasn't out rummaging in the wastes that the people here called treasure, he spent his time in a dimly lit bar (and simultaneous gambling den, off the records of course) called "Aces&Eights", where he spent a considerable amount of time in-front of an old arcade cabinet playing a very detailed space game where the player would be flying a spaceship doing different jobs (the name of the game is up for speculation, rumor has it it starts with an "E"). It was also here, in the midst of Aces&Eights that Core met Bounty Hunter Camden Dowe, that used Houston as his home away from home. Dowe would treat Core to food and drinks while telling grand stories of his hunts, or cheer Core on while he was flying his spaceship in the conspicuous space game that lived in the arcade machine. This would be the start of Corebarn's future story..

As the years passed Core became a more prominent member of the Houston underworld, getting better and better at his sleight of hand, scamming gamblers in "The Ace" (which was how Core would come to call his now accustomed home in the bar) and hearing more and more stories from Dowe. Until suddenly Dowe stopped showing up. At first Core didn't think too much about it, it wasn't unusual for the Bounty Hunter to be gone for months on end, but after 3 months of no show Core started getting anxious. Another month passed, still no word and no Dowe to be found. Core started asking around, see if anyone had heard something, anything. Nothing. No one knew a thing, and most of them didn't even care. Corebarn finally went to the Houston BHG HQ, a place no boy at the age of 14 should ever need to set foot in. He asked the clerk if they had some info on Dowe, sat down and waited. After what seemed like an eternity the clerk called him forth, handed him a scrumpled paper and shooed him out of there.

There they were, the letters telling Core everything he needed to know: "Missing in Action" in bright red letters. There wasn't much information that could be extracted more than that Camden Dowe had been in the Omicron Kappa system close to the Ciutadella Outpost when his ship stopped responding, presumed dead. Core knew what he needed to do, but had no means to do it.

Corebarn continued lifting credits, doing jobs and hustling the gamblers of their lightweight money while glancing at the local shipyard dreaming about his future. He kept on honing his skill on the arcade machine, however unreal the mechanics might have seen it was what he had at his disposal and suns know he was getting good at it.

18 years after Dowe's disappearance in the void of the edge worlds, an old beat-up Kestrel Freighter turned up at the Houston shipyard. A ship that would prove to be Corebarn's way off the planet, together with some credit in his pocket and a goal in his mind..
[Image: transmissionINC.png]

[Image: avatar_52936.png?dateline=1674508351]

Type: Voice Recording
Transmitter: Corebarn Tyto
Transmission Source: Hudson System

Captain's log: #1

Is this thing on..? The light's flashing, is it supposed to flash? Hello?? *tap tap tap* click
*static*
click
Hi, my name is Corebarn.. Wait, that's stupid, why do I need to say what my name is when it's my ship? sigh why is this so hard?

Hello, this is captain(feels weird) Tyto speaking, reporting in on my current position.

Sheesh, where do I even start? I headed out from Houston with the good old Trusty Rusty (working name, but not wrong) and headed over to Hudson to pick up my freshly printed Bounty Hunter ID at Manitoba Station. I wonder if Dowe would be proud to see me now..
While I was "scouting" the local bar I met this other freshly cut Bounty Hunter named Trex. Not that you would think that this guy were fresh in any way, huge ship and totally looked the part. We decided to grab some missions together and set out to do some hunting. I don't think it ever was about the money for Trex, sure didn't seem too bothered no matter the pay. Me on the other hand where standing there gawking, to even think one could earn that kind of credit in such a short amount of time is still boggling my mind.

We proved to be quite the team tho, I can't lie about that. Him taking the focus fire in that big ship of his, and me skimping around in the old Trusty Rusty shooting whatever nails I could at our targets. I have no clue how I made it out of those encounters alive but I'm still here, breathing. That has to count for something, right?

After we had brought in a few contracts I found another vessel for sale on Manitoba Station that would prove a lot more viable for the things I was putting it through, and to top it off it's a Bounty Hunter ship and she. is. beautiful. Zooms around like a fly escaping the swatter and just as graceful! I think they call it a snub? Something like that, doesn't really matter as long as she keeps me looking to where I'm pointing and her hardpoints hitting the things I'm aiming at.
Imagine that, me out here in the vast dark flying spaceships.. incredible.. and thank the sun for The Ace' arcade machine..

Trex and I were talking about were we originate from the other night, and after I had told him my incredibly dull story he mentioned he came from one of the Border World systems. I wonder if he knows about Omicron Kappa.. Should I ask him tomorrow..? Does he know Dowe?

I guess that's all for this time, so I guess.. I'll just turn this off while I'm ahead..?
Captain(still weird) Tyto signing off.

Now how do I turn this off? This button says "send", do I just pre...

[Image: transmissionEND.png]

Transmission Source: Planet Houston

Captain's log: #2

Captain Tyto reporting in (nope, it's still weird).

I asked Trex a little more about the Border Worlds and he told me he originates from a planet called Gran Canaria, supposedly it's a paradise world with beautiful views compared to the very dull and rocky surroundings. However he also mentioned something about ice ages? I'm not sure, I drifted off a little right there, not gonna lie. When I asked him if it was close to Omicron Kappa he didn't give me much. Even tho originating from the Border Worlds he didn't have much connection to the Edge World Systems but he did point me in the direction of some outpost in the Omega-55 system that could have more information on the area. I decided to head over to HQ on Houston to see if I could find some more information.

HQ did have some info, supposedly the name of the outpost is Dagger Outpost and is maintained by one of the BHG's allies called The Core. I don't know too much about them but any ally of ours seems like a good bunch! Seems like water is somewhat of a commodity out there, so I might as well head over to the market and fill up the trunk. After I was done at the HQ I took a lap around Houston just collecting the views. Weird how quickly life can change after such a long stretch of complete actionless drought. I headed in to The Ace as well, sat down and got myself a nice whiskey before I head out. Well, they call it a whiskey but I've seen the 'tender clean the counter with that drink and it comes out spit shine every damn time, no matter the grit it face. Took a glance at the old arcade before I tossed some credit to the Bartender tipping my imaginary hat to him. That got me thinking.. I should really get myself one of those leather jackets I've seen pilots wear. So I headed over to the best clothing store in town that I knew, good old Madigan's Rags. Hey now, I didn't say the fanciest.. Madigan had some junkered down leather jackets on display and I found myself one with a perfect fit. Now I don't just fly a ship of the Bounty Hunters, I also look the part!

Headed over to the marketplace and got myself the water, I wonder how long of a ride this will be.. I wonder if there will be any water left when I get there... if I get there.

Allright, wish me luck.
Tyto out.

Transmission Source: Omega-55

Captain's log: #3

I made it.. I got to Dagger in one piece somehow, but it wasn't without trouble mind you, nor is the laundrymat on Dagger Outpost anything I'd give a 5 star review, but I'm here now.. Lot's of things happened, but let's start from the beginning.

So after I left Houston I jumped through the Liberty zones until I hit the Rheinland systems. First Hamburg, and then New Berlin. Wasn't much fuzz at all around this area, as to be expected by house controlled territory. Then came Dresden.. Hoo boy that was an interaction. After I landed on the other side of the gate I saw a trade lane set up right outside of it, going on with my business as usually I thought I might as well sit back and relax in the lane. Imagine my surprise when I was spit out SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUNDSCHUH zone. I heard the lasers zoom past my cockpit the moment I realized what was going on, and they were ready. I boosted away, dodged, rolled, and hit my cruise engine to fire it up. Somehow they didn't hit me, not once! Sun's mercy was I lucky. When I got out of the zone I glanzed at the starmap the HQ had of the area and could pretty easily navigate to the jump hole to get to Omega-55, just wished I would have done that sooner! (note to self, don't trust the lanes..)
On the other side I got out in the middle of a debris field which was unextected, but I set up the nav system to point me towards Dagger Outpost according to my starmap and after a while I could see it in the distance. I nearly had a run in with some Corsairs but I was not going to lose my progression to this point by some stray Corsairs flying around in a system they don't belong, so I made the smart decision to sneak around them. Not this time, death!

After I had unpacked all that water I had in my cargo hold in to the Dagger Outpost warehouse (I didn't run out, amazingly enough) I found somewhere to crash for the night and clean my clothes while I was at it. (now that I think about it, how DO they wash their clothes out here?)
I headed over to the bar to ask the bartender what he knew about Omicron Kappa and after some persuasion I got some info from him (nothing is ever free mind you). There's two ways to get to Kappa from the Dagger, either through Omicron Gamma which, by the way, is governed by the Corsairs who as we know, do NOT like Bounty Hunters. Or through Omicron Rho which is governed by The Core. Things wasn't looking bright for me, because even tho the BHG is allied with the Core, only Core registered ships are allowed in Omicron Rho and let me tell you, these guys are hardass, you do not want to become enemies with them. But the only way for me to gain access to Rho is by swearing loyalty to The Core, and I don't even know if they want me.. I decided to sleep on it..

The next day after mornsmeal I had made a decision. I'm a lucky fellow, I might as well try to sneak my way through Omicron Gamma, try to find the jump hole to Kappa and sneak my way up to the Corsairs area. I went over to the bar to see what the bartender could tell me about Gamma. He showed me the location of the jump hole to Gamma but did warn me that Corsairs had been seen in the area. He also had some info on the whereabouts of the jump hole to Kappa, but nothing absolute. But hey, I rather take my chances on something than nothing at all. I jumped in to my ship and set off towards the Gamma jump hole. When I got there I could see Corsairs circling the area.Not knowing what I was looking for, I had issues finding it. It didn't help that the cloud also interfered with my scanners, making it near impossible to see it. But suddenly it showed up on the scanner, so I marked it, saw a window and hit the boost, and got in to the jump hole before they could even notice me.

Imagine my surprise when I was greeted by the sound of my alarms going haywire. This place was not a friendly area to me or my ship, and on top of the toxic cloud I jumped into, I also ran into a Corsairs security wing.. Did I mention they're not fond of Bounty Hunters? A fight broke loose but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, these guys didn't seem to be much to the world, I wonder why they decided to engage me? I picked one of them up to try and get some more information on where the jump hole was located. I kept on going through the cloud, dodging asteroids left and right. I ran into another security vessel but again, nothing hard to handle for a bounty specced Heavy Fighter. The bartender's notes were sparse with detail, but with the help of my freshly beamed Corsairs pilot and my above average sense of direction, I glimpsed a white and blue sparkle in the cloud of green, and there it was, the Omicron Kappa jump hole. I could feel my adrenaline pumping when I locked my target and jumped..

I don't know what I expected, but I'm sure I wasn't expecting the view of Omicron Kappa. It had its charm in a way, it was hard to describe, nothing like anything I had seen before and at the same time the most scariest thing I had seen in my whole life. I had no sense of direction so I marked the location of the jump hole back to Gamma and started moving slightly towards the yellow planet I saw in the distance.

Suddenly I could see it, the Corsairs outpost, Ciutadella. This was the area where Dowe's last know location was, I was getting close. I started looking around, seeing if I could see any traces of old ships or the alike, but there was nothing.. Could there even be anything at all? It has been 18 years.. 18 years since his disappearance.. Suddenly I saw a ship on my sensors and my blood froze to ice. In panic, without knowing from what direction the ship came from, I turned my ship around and started to move back towards the jump hole. Then I was hailed, by a Starlight's Research Consortium ship. My heart dropped, I had no idea what to expect but they seemed friendly enough. I cooked up some story about me being lost looking for one of the Border systems I had heard was connected to Omicron Gamma. They didn't seem too convinced about my story and a drone was sent out to scan my ship.. I had forgotten about my "passenger" in the cargo hold and the moment of realization dawned on me. *****.

Leave or you get destroyed
Short, direct, easy to understand. I wasn't going to try my luck anymore so I bolted out of there, took aim for the Gamma jump hole and went back, back in to that green cloud of hurt. When I got out on the other side I dumped my passenger right then and there, leaving it to the cloud to take care of the evidence. I headed back towards the area of the Omega-55 jump hole but had a hard time finding it, resulting in me running in to even more Corsairs security. Yet again some easy pickings, but hey, it's good training none the less! Finally I found it and went back through to Omega-55, set my aim for Dagger Outpost and cruised over there none the wiser than when I left, but at least I had some experience..

Now I'm here again, back on Dagger. I don't think I'll get that lucky again.. Suns damn you Dowe, why in the world were you out here in the first place..?
I think it's time to change my tactic and my perspective. I think I'll spend a couple of days in the bar keeping an eye on the Core pilots passing through here, learn some more about them, get on their good side..

Tyto out.