Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Deleting systems poll UPDATE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(04-04-2023, 08:00 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Of course all I'm posting at the end of the day is a lot of words that boil down to "Trust me bro.". I do not expect people to actually trust me - or anyone on the dev team - purely off of what they're saying. I just expect people to see how the new patch actually looks and judge it then, rather than trying to judge things based on extremely incomplete and heavily subject-to-change information.

I have a very high level of trust in the upcoming balance changes. The changes to heavy fighters, cruisers, bombers, were all amazing. I have good reason to trust the coming reworks also will be.

The system changes though? Yeah, I'm nowhere near as confident. Because while balance has, generally, steadily improved, system changes have been much more of an up and down, with at least as many changes I hated as ones that I liked.

Sure, I'll withhold judgment, wait and see, etc. But you'll have to forgive me if my confidence level isn't super high, considering some of the very general design principles ("less is more") are things I, and seemingly many others, fundamentally disagree with.

(Edit: Minor sidenote, but I agree on the "removal of active systems" argument being nonsense. Most of those aren't active by any virtue of the system itself, but simply because it's where people naturally meet on account of accessibility. They'll just go to wherever that will be next.)
I've been here since 2009

The dramas, once fun and motivating to bash other people ingame, now are just plainly depressing. When I was younger, I had no negativity in my life so whatever toxicity Disco had (and it had plenty in 4.85 and earlier, believe me), had no hold of influence on me. Now, even seeing the same three people screaming at the devs - regardless of who is correct - only adds more to ocean of sludge that I once felt myself immune to. Encountering the same people over and over, you are clubbing them or they are seal clubbing you in return. Being ever so forced to sit closer to people that I may consider disgusting. I didn't understand fully the drama behind so called 'buffer systems' which were popular design element among dev team in what I would like to call transition era between Guard Systems and "modernity". Now I do, and for similar reasons I avoid competitive multiplayer nowadays. I always been fan of building things, and jolly co-operation. Some guard systems were absurd, yes and had no place in Discovery; but it was also some form of inviolable sandbox and safe space. We certainly lost some people there as well.

I enjoyed the sense of permanency of things and wonder at systems - as much as badly designed and empty they were at the time - where every one could find some niche in old Disco. I remember when we still had not only playerbase to spare but also time as I was still annoying jobless (and sleepless) teenager and I played in both official faction and unofficial one of the same NPC group. We've set up a shop in some random long had since deleted Sigma system, roleplaying (with little of backing in terms of real estate, POBs werent a thing just yet) a hidden base and laboratory. Yeah it probably detracted from activity that could had been had elsewhere, not denying that. Was it interesting and exciting? Sure it was. I suppose I could call it some form of a safezone. Nowadays everything feels smaller, contracted as world of Freelancer is the one where Big Crunch is the dominating theory as to how it will all end. Sense of discovery in Discovery is kind of being lost over time

At very least it appears community started to detest Omicron Nu. Whether for reasons I opposed it in the first place I dont even know anymore. Some of the haters today actually had some Big Plans with it, but it seems it has been poisoned. I miss the wild west... or even less civilized Edge Worlds than wild west. People accused me often of trying to 'imperialize' Omicrons by crap laws and claims. Some others argued that I shot them for no reason because it was not codified anywhere public - such as what House Laws institute in other places. However back then we had more of a margin and space to cool down, make a sandwich and then start bashing each other when we regained our confidence. If it is/was good or bad, it barely even matters anymore.

Our biggest problem as community is ever-changing dev team, that constantly tries to unfuck what the ones that came before commited to this mod, each having different ideas and direction, and boy some were really hot takes that probably for the better never saw light of day. No permanence, no continuity, constant retcons. I am not arguing retcons are bad or good in itself... but even after Reeves is gone, someone will take a big, fat, smelly dump on his legacy (whether it was good or bad, not for me to argue rn) and do something completely 'fresh' to piss off the remainder of community that hasn't left yet. People are scared of loosing things they had attached themselves emotionally. I certainly do think removing certain things would improve the game in the long run, but I would also piss some members of the community in doing so. People are emotionally attached to things. Thats what humans do.

Discovery has no soul or direction.
(04-04-2023, 08:00 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]But I don't believe in mod design by democracy.

That is nice and all, but you don't own this mod. This mod belongs to the community as a whole.
This would be a valid idea if you designed this game and held the copyright to it, but you don't.

You want to know why people stopped playing? This sentiment right here.
(04-04-2023, 08:00 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]But I don't believe in mod design by democracy.
i love this

takes me right back to this thread with choice quotes ill now post
durandal also didnt agree with "mob rule" or "democracy" but thats not going to stop me.

(02-21-2020, 02:58 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2020, 09:25 AM)eigos Wrote: [ -> ]Not my department to begin with... up to you people to push for a change.

I did. Durandal already told me it's never going to happen, even after this thread as an informal thing, and then a proper dev request thread.

Can't push for change if the person who has the final say doesn't give a shit.
(02-21-2020, 05:01 PM)pillow Wrote: [ -> ]isnt it funny how a thing that pretty much everyone, across the board, unanimously seems to want can just get denied because one person in particular does not want that thing

isnt that funny

bhg id improvements when
(02-21-2020, 09:44 PM)Typrop Wrote: [ -> ]tl;dr "haha yes we ignore because all ur ideas are shid" - devteam

This is how projects die. People in charge get an ego and drive it into the ditch. It happened with RCRs, it happened with the recent "cruisers and battleships can't shoot transports" rule, and it's still happening now. If we have to practically riot to change anything then there's something seriously wrong here. This is why people are looking forward to alternatives. No one is particularly hyped for the next disco update, because they have already been disarmed of any notion of affecting things, or being able to actively do things.
[snipped]

i hope youre not expecting me to go away when you force out the update anyway
I mean you do get our scepticism Haste - you don't have competence in game design, you barely play the game, when you do it's on a very specific niche of types of characters and when you did play the game and times were different - I would trust you with Balance - but game layout and impacts on gameplay? Why would we hah, you don't have the competence nor track record in that area.

Same with current Dev teams making dead on arrival new systems, unpopular alterations, and many mistakes and misshandlings.

I would love nothing more than for you guys to prove us wrong but there is very little we can believe in so far, you have to show not tell Smile
This remind of time when i show up in event battle in ship named (tag something) - Durandal ,he was there,and he actually demanded that i rename ship, lol. AND ,i actually had to explain to him that i named ship inspired by Earth history reasons, not inspired by him.
(04-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Reeves Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Czechmate Wrote: [ -> ]I am talking about CNS News, they are way more important than in-game news articles. I don't think people even read those, we have literally 20 year old ones only around on some bases and nobody cares. In-game articles you write for yourself and five other people more or less

I have a script to "yeet" all the antiquated news articles across every base in the game as of next patch. So there won't be any clutter getting in the way of people's up to date news. If only five people log into the game and click the news button, then that's my primary demographic so far as active players go. Since it would be the same five people clicking the launch button even without the incentive of news being put on stations. I'm sure there's a way to do this where a teaser is posted on the forums, but if you want the meat of things then being in the game or interacting with characters in the game world is the way to go. I'll see how best to implement that with immediate effect.

Wait, seriously? There are plans to suddenly delete 30 in-game years of history? Please don't.

While the (archived) news obviously are not primary content that players actively engage in all the time, they're a great irp way to discover the world's rich and eventful history, along with the wrecks of old battlegrounds and infocards. Having old news at the bottom of the list isn't clutter. The UX wouldn't be any worse even if every station had hundreds of newspieces. In fact, it would be better if there was more historical coverage. There are some gaps and many stations only have a couple of news articles, which is somewhat disheartening in a mod with otherwise storied history documented everywhere inside the game world.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16