Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Omicron Delta (2016-2018)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

People who played Discovery in 2016-2018 will likely remember that Omicron Delta wasn't always the horrible moody mess it is right now. Back in that time frame, it actually fit the theme of the Omicrons and was considered the sibling to Omicron Zeta from back then due to the similar suns with rings.

I always considered Omicron Delta back then as one of the prettiest systems of the mod. Freeport 11 was the central point of the system, and the system itself was a Delta into the Nomad Omicrons, leading to a very wild Omicron Minor void of any bases but filled with wrecks, a destroyed gate and the gate to Omicron Iota, far behind the nebula itself. Omicron Delta was also the center of attention for many players, making it the second biggest hotspot for activity back in those days, only to be topped by New York, which eventually had an actual Ranseurman pissing at Manhattan.

Generally, Delta felt rather colorful, with the Crow Nebula and the Edge Nebula being visible in the starsphere (Tohoku's starsphere, by the way), a purple-ish sun in the distance, a warm yellow sun with a ring in the center of the system, brown Nauru, purple-blue Tuvalu, a stray white moon near the sun and the green Omicron Delta nebula. Despite this mix of colors, it didn't feel out of place or oversaturated. It was simply pretty, and people loved to hang out at Freeport 11, likely because of the atmosphere to a certain degree. There was always action, always someone to RP with, and I actually meet most of the people who became friends of mine over time right there in Delta. The entire story of the Apahanta, starting out as Core ship to fight nomads, over to escaping from the Core because of the sudden shift of attention to the Zoners and finally leaving Sirius as mostly self-sustaining fortified exploration vessel, all based on the events in this system and the people that went there.

I tried to explain to Levenna how much more interesting the system used to be, but didn't have much footage on it, so I rebuilt the system, using the assets we have now but in the image of what the system was back then.

Maybe some of you enjoy the little trip into Omicron Delta's past and remember some fond memories. Maybe some of you want to share them?
RIP old Delta. Rip activity without even needing to look at tracker. Rip endless RP sessions at Freeport 11 - this is a cautionary tale for Devs. Just don't meddle with the few things that simply work in the mod.
Omicron Delta of that time was not active due to the exact layout it had. This was at best a small contributor, though only FP11 and JHs mattered. Omicrons died off hard when the endless strive between Order and Core playerbases started to decrease. That happened for various reasons.
While one recent incarnation of Delta was ugly, I sincerely doubt that is what killed the Omicrons.

People still leave/avoid stuff far more over the community itself than anything else, just saying. This won't ever change. We know this for years, nobody does something, nobody aims to change. Devs do mistakes, criticism is cool but knowing well how some of you packaged "criticism" towards people like Groshyr, yeah no surprise the community remains the driving factor stopping people from playing or staying.

Edit: Did old Delta need changes imo? Not really. But hey, at least ugly Delta is a past thing again soon.
#MakeEdgeworldsGreenAgain

Edit: Hand over the music right tf now
(04-05-2023, 08:54 AM)Toaster Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Hand over the music right tf now

Boreas Andrius
Damn, the weeb game really does have some great OST
All I kinda remember is that I did the new looks for Omicron Zeta way back when, which seems is what you are showing there, that sun and the asteroid belt around it. May be it did become Delta at some point. I'm not too sure.

I never liked tube background in Delta.
Zeta and Delta looked very similar back then, yeah, but they existed at the same time. Zeta later got the big nomad jump hole inhibitor that prevented the passage to Iota, so people moved from Zeta to Minor to reach Iota. Before that Zeta was the gateway to the Nomicrons.

Edit: I have a single video recording of Omicron Zeta here
That Delta was sort of copy of old Zeta in terms of layout and color scheme, though it was still the best version of Delta. Nowadays those edgy systems plunger in purple vomit, so I hope for new Delta as Zeta seems to be lost.

#MakeEdgeworldsGreenAgain
Old Delta... Its practically where I used to spend all my time as a disco newbie. Daily freeport 11 drama and Nodoka RPing the freeport like it was Israel.
Pages: 1 2