Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Looking for Uncharted systems concepts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

LOOKING FOR UNCHARTED SYSTEMS CONCEPTS

Hello dear community,

as the title says, I am looking for concepts to Uncharted systems which I intend to make as many as possible as they will have a solid place in the upcoming place. There are like 3 of about 10 uncharteds currently ready, one of them you might have seen posted in the #dev-previes channels of Discovery general discord.

However, these are not enough: I am running low on ideas and could use a hand, either it some arts, interesting ideas or whole system map concepts drawn by hand or in some graphics app. Please feel free to post it here or reach me in Discord by /ping in Disco general discord.

Yes I used an already used bbcode template.
For context, uncharted systems have typically been event systems that have been temporarily available, is this still the intent or would more 'lore heavy' concepts also work for this?
Their whole lore will remain based on "Nothing is known about this object", leaving only visual representation to speak for itself
(06-24-2023, 07:26 PM)Promotheus Wrote: [ -> ]For context, uncharted systems have typically been event systems that have been temporarily available, is this still the intent or would more 'lore heavy' concepts also work for this?

This. Also, how would we even get into the uncharted systems? Is this found through sci data or a small chance of jump drive malfunction? I don't know a lot about uncharted systems in general so clarification on how to find these systems using what equipment will help me better gauge how much focus juice to put into this.
Random initial ideas that came to mind:

1. Coalition graveyard system:

Unknown system south west of Omega-52. Skybox features the ice cloud the system is situated in, the system has several ice asteroid fields that can be mined for water as well as an uninhabited, frozen world with two moons. Hidden in the system is a heavily damaged coalition sleeper ship that is dated back to roughly ten years after the alliance sleeper ships had set out to Sirius. The damage indicates weapon damage, though the damage happened far too long ago to identify from what sort of weapons. Maybe some starlancer era coalition snub wrecks near the sleeper ship with infocards detailing history of the alliance and coalition.

Infocard, if any, of the sleeper ship implicates the coalition tried to reach the alliance following signals left behind by their saboteurs onboard the Hispania, but did not survive the trip to Sirius.

2. Molten crucible:

A system filled with red suns, smoldering asteroids and magma planets. Highly hazardous to traverse but with a minable field filled with goodies, perhaps only accessable by flying through a narrow corrider between sun corona's. A barely functioning neutral automated outpost serves as a potential shelter for arrivals in the system however its databanks have long since been corrupted, leaving only the bare minimum services operational.

3. Thriving on the edge of known space:

A system located in the bottom right corner if Omicron Gamma and Theta formed 2 corners of a triangle, only just outside the nebula. A dark desolated system with asteroid fields and one very distant sun.
NPCs that spawn would involve Nomads and Outworlders. The system includes a hidden Nomad base on one side of the system and an Outworlder colony ship, the latter located near the edge of an asteroid field. A static repairship is near it while a static mining ship is closeby in the field. The field is minable for resources. The colony ship also has two static gunboats nearby for protection.

4. Those who were left behind:

A system located extremely far from both Sirius and Gallia, this particular connection is nothing short of a miracle. This is where the Crayter Republic had originally settled before the cataclysmic event occured that forced them to leave so many of their people behind in the migration to Sirius. The system is desolate, full of Crayter wrecks and large chunks of what on closer examination could fit together to form a planet (cracked planet). The system includes a neutron star, likely the cause of the devastation, with radiation throughout the system. Some defective bouys appear to have survived, indicating what most likely used to be routes in the system. (Might be nice if the Crayter playerbase got some input on how the system actually looks if this gets used rather than going off my random mental picture for it)

5. Imperial Shadow

A system located between Hokkaido and Tohoku connected by extremely unstable jump holes, making access only available at very rare intervals. The system has a wilde base and is largely patrolled by wilde npc's in Kusari ships. In the system is an adrift Kusari Imperial Yacht, one thought long lost centuries ago, now wedged between two asteroids as if shipwrecked. The system includes a few gas giants and the blue skybox of the crow nebula. This makes it the only place in the game where this unique ship can be seen outside the rare occurance of the SRP being logged.
A system of the Daam K'vosh with some ancient base remains?!
A system with a black hole would be nice again.

Maybe a system filled to the top with wrecks, asteroids or whatever, so that flying becomes very difficult and CDs/rockets cannot hit.
1: Ruined megalithic structure.

A system composed of the system-wide wreckage of a Daam K'vosh superstructure, something akin to the dyson sphere (though maybe not quite that big) but obviously destroyed in some long forgotten cataclysm. Something that pre-dates their creation of the Nomads so that the Nomads would be just as surprised about it's existence as humanity is. System could include rare minable commodities such as special artifacts/azurite/wreckage that would be coveted by nearly any research station in Sirius. As well as interesting RP potential for researching Daam K'vosh engineering.

2: Hazardous 'Gold' Rush

System surrounds an dying and chaotic star at the end of its life that has begun to shed its outer layers as many mid-mass stars do near death. This shrouds the system in a gas cloud that is volatile and riddled with explosive pockets, but also hides an asteroid belt rich with extremely valuable minable resources. If possible it could be fun if the system included more invisible hazards such as randomly placed high radiation zones forcing players to manually chart out the safe paths through the system to reach whatever ores or commodities the system holds. Anything that would make a system difficult to navigate would fit perfectly here.

3: Cracked Moon / Prototype Drive

System contains the wreck of a vessel resembling a modified version of the old LCC Explorer vessels that charted space using the "Liberty Engine" in the era before Jumpgates. The wreck is positioned in orbit above a Gas giant with a moon that's been broken apart. What little is recoverable of the logs indicates that A: They were testing something called an "artifact engine" that was expected to invalidate the Valhalla Research Jumpgate Project. And B: The results were disastrous, the vessel was left dead in space as the engine compartment of the ship has either been destroyed or deposited elsewhere in the system. And it seems their post-jump reentry directly caused the destruction of the moon they are sitting above. The system should ideally include a Dark Matter Nebula similar to Kepler/Galileo, which fits nicely with the lore considering how many jump-related projects have been ended due to similar anomalies. Might be interesting place a temporary Scidata location near the vessel/moon rather than a simple commodity.
I have always wanted to see a system where it's the aftermath of a war. An unknown battle where all kinds of arms and munitions were used. Big enough where it's like a standard debris field, except full of all kinds of ships ranging from snubs to battleships, in addition to properly deadly mines. "Tunnels" have been carved out within this graveyard system where you'll need to navigate all three dimensions to reach one of a handful of wrecks containing extra special loot. These tunnels are safe to traverse through and maybe have buoys located at each junction.

I say navigate three dimensions as the tunnels shouldn't only exist across the X and Y axis. introduce some verticality along the pathways to reach these kewl loots. Have to fly around to find an unstable rift or partially working jumpgate to leave, using this gate would drop you off at a jump gate in a random system on the other side.

The debris field can be flown through with maybe gunboats and below (spacing between objects may need to be altered to allow this) however these spaces are littered with mines and unactivated bombs of sorts. You can fly through them, but please make these mines and such deadly. Actually deadly, like Thuringia's southern anomaly.
One with the remains of another alien civ that thousands of years ago, fought the Daam K'vosh and lost, so some debris field and some new alien wrecks. that could be good for some rp to help the fight agains the nomads and those alike.

i'm not in favor of mining system ... that's nothing really new and there are already too many stuff to mine.