Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Official Event] The Second Story Jam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

The Second Story Jam

[Image: Ni0yOGx.png]

OVERVIEW

With the overwhelming positive success of the last event, Discovery’s second ever Story Jam is about to take place for all of you who crave a good tale or just want to express your more creative side. For those who don’t know in the indi game developer scene a “Game Jam'' is a small event where people get together to create games from scratch that follow a rule set. Most of the time each developer will be asked to create a game that follows a certain theme and it is to be completed by a deadline. This is where I have taken the inspiration to host the second Story Jam.

Much like last time it’ll be your time to show off your creative skills as a writer and compete against other writers for the chance to win some big prizes. Participants will be required to create a brand new story about something Discovery related that follows the theme that will be provided at a later date. You’ll have one week from when the theme has been announced to write your stories and submit them in the submissions thread when it’s been posted.

You must follow the theme that’s announced however you may interpret the theme as and how you wish. There is no “set in stone” way you have to approach this. You're more than welcome to work on your own or in a group if you would prefer that. If you work as a group the rewards will be split between the group. Based on feedback from the last event there will be a minimum word count but there will be no maximum.

Rewards for the event will be announced when the theme of the event is announced. There will be two sets of rewards. A judges reward where 3 judges will rate decide who the best few stories are and a community vote where the community will vote on their favorite stories. Voting will commence one the Story Jam has come to an end and will be available to be voted on for the following few days.

Just like last time I’m eager to hear your feedback on this event when it’s done. Good luck and most importantly have fun!

If you would like to help judge the event then please shoot me a message over the forums or via discord.

Judges:

Theme:

Perseverance

Submissions:

Date:

3rd September @ 20:00 UTC -> 13th September @ 20:00 UTC

Rules:
  • All stories created must be new and original. No copies from previous write ups and must be created in a brand new thread situated in the Stories and Biographies subforum.
  • Plagiarism is a big no.
  • One submission per person or group.
  • The theme will be announced on Sunday 3rd September at 20:00 UTC
  • All stories must be about Discovery Freelancer and must follow Discovery lore.
  • All stories must follow the theme of the jam. The theme will most likely be vague so you may interpret the theme as you like.
  • All submissions should be posted in the submissions thread following the template BEFORE the deadline. Any submissions posted after the deadline will be disqualified. Entries made before the start date and time will also be disqualified.
  • If you work in a group all participants must be credited in the submission form.
  • Forum alts are allowed.
  • Judges may enter the competition however they will only be eligible for the community vote.
  • A minimum of 500 words.

Rewards:

There will be two sets of rewards. The Judges Reward and the Community Reward. There will also be a unique user title for all who participated.

Judges:

• 1st Place - Researcher ID, A MK1 Ship, Cool FX Effect for Mk1 Ship (Admin Approval), 4 Billion Credits OR 1,400 Sci Data
  • 2nd Place - Researcher ID, A MK1 Ship, Contrail for your Mk1 Ship, 2 Billion Credits OR 700 Sci Data
  • 3rd Place - Researcher ID, A MK1 Ship, Contrail for your Mk1 Ship, 1 Billion Credits OR 350 Sci Data

Community:

• 1st Place - Researcher ID, 1x Capital Ship Codename OR 4x Snub Codenames (Inc Sci Data), 1 Billion Credits OR 350 Sci Data
  • 2nd Place - Researcher ID, 1x Capital Ship Codename OR 4x Snub Codenames (Inc Sci Data), 750 Million Credits OR 250 Sci Data
  • 3rd Place - Researcher ID, 1x Capital Ship Codename OR 4x Snub Codenames (Inc Sci Data), 500 Million Credits OR 175 Sci Data

Participation:

• Uniqie Forum Title - Literary Enthusiast

Photo by .
Fyi is very open about removing a lot of the old ships - I'd check with him before handing out a prize Smile
(09-03-2023, 09:00 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Uniqie Forum Title

Can the user title be "Uniqie" ?
Resisting the urge to correct this lol
(09-04-2023, 08:16 AM)TheKusari Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 09:00 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Uniqie Forum Title

Can the user title be "Uniqie" ?
Resisting the urge to correct this lol

Yes it can be unique. Just look into various forum accounts, and none has 'Unique'.
(09-04-2023, 09:24 AM)Couden Wrote: [ -> ]none has 'Unique'.

I meant the one with the typo. Have a bit of fun with it.
Can I make multiple submissions? I got so much stuff sitting in notepads I need to get it out.

Damn just put my glasses on and re-read the post. Killing myself tonight tbh Sad
Great event, thanks
Thank you all for your submissions. I've decided to extend the event by 3 days until Wednesday due to several people wanting to participate but have been away.

So use this time if you want to refine anything or if you want to make your story. Wednesday the 13th will not be budging from there.
(09-10-2023, 10:43 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for your submissions. I've decided to extend the event by 3 days until Wednesday due to several people wanting to participate but have been away.

So use this time if you want to refine anything or if you want to make your story. Wednesday the 13th will not be budging from there.

I would like to express my deep concerns and disappointment regarding the recent decision to extend the contest deadline after the original deadline has already passed. It's crucial to emphasize the importance of maintaining fairness and consistency in such competitions.

Many of us worked diligently to meet the initial deadline, ensuring our submissions were not only timely but also in compliance with the original rules. Changing the rules after the fact not only undermines the efforts and dedication of those who adhered to the initial guidelines but also raises questions about the transparency and integrity of the contest.

In the spirit of fairness and equal opportunity, it's imperative that contests like this adhere to their stated deadlines and rules. A level playing field ensures that every participant has an equal chance to compete and be judged on the same terms.

While I understand the desire to accommodate those who may have missed the initial deadline, altering the rules after submissions have been made creates a sense of unfairness and erodes the trust of participants in the contest's integrity.

I urge the organizers to carefully consider the impact of such decisions on the participants and to uphold the principles of fairness and consistency that are vital for a truly equitable competition.
(09-10-2023, 10:43 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for your submissions. I've decided to extend the event by 3 days until Wednesday due to several people wanting to participate but have been away.

Let me make a second submission Smile
Pages: 1 2