Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune - Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This is probably going to hit some people here very weirdly, especially as I have ZERO weight around here in any capacity (even as a player, I'm going to be the noob of a lifetime.)

Freelancer was released as a full game, during a time where Full Games got patched only to work on issues with the game state itself. Discovery Mod, added to that, allowing for far greater influence on the Multiplayer space from it's base state while keeping the Campaign's lore as canon within the mod. (Something other mods simply weren't doing to the extent that Discovery was)

Discovery now is more like an Expansion Pack. It's entirely new content and new areas to explore, new ships to fly and new characters and factions to meet and mingle with. We should not be looking at this as a simple Patch. This is almost an entirely new GAME being offered to us in the form of an Expansion Pack.

I for one am grateful that the devs are working on this game and mod still after so many years. I am grateful for the work that they've done and are continuing to do. I am with some of you that the day of/day before the update being delayed should have been announced earlier, however not to the extent that some of you are. I don't blame them for that kind of oversight, it's human and it's not something that is easy to balance.

Devs: Take your time, take the heat a bit and learn that this kind of announcement should be a bit earlier than it was. (no hate)

Players: No one is taking away your deeds and roleplay actions to get ready for the update. Read into this as something akin to the calm before the storm. In some areas it's already hit, Piracy has come to an all time high, bases are in abundance of commodities, POB's are dwindling in supplies due to the piracy causing a shortage. Some bases are unwilling to sell, hoarding their goods to everyone except their own factions. Ships become derelict or run out of fuel with a full cargo containment. Storm areas are causing entire convoys to disappear. We are the ones that write the story of Discovery, right now is your chance to make a storyline that goes into the inferno that will become the Fire and Fortune Update.

As a community, we've got this. We will remain strong and we will make ourselves better for it. Look at everything as an opportunity and we can write some of the most amazing stories out there. Unlike the voiceline... Keep daydreaming, it makes your creativity thrive. I'll embrace the grave before my time to protect that creativity.

Love all around.
I almost forgot why I stopped having fun making ships for the mod, thanks for the reminder everyone
(09-01-2023, 11:53 AM)Couden Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, but not for 2 years without a patch

You are owed nothing and you get what you get.
(09-01-2023, 02:34 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2023, 11:53 AM)Couden Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, but not for 2 years without a patch

You are owed nothing and you get what you get.

Factually correct, which is the reason for:
Yikes.
Keep a level head, what's a month after having to have waited this long.
Yes some more heads up would have been nice but it's not a big leap to conclude they tried to meet the deadline they set for themselves and only spoke up when they were 100% sure they weren't going to make it.
As mentioned earlier, players have a right to be upset and devs have a right to delay if they don't feel the patch is ready yet. No right or wrong in that situation.
Keep in mind people don't get angry over things they don't care about, so at the very least this thread shows a lot of people are looking forward to the patch.

Though if the future brings any more 'super patches' after this one, for the love of god toss a story event our way every now and then to keep us occupied?

A bit more transparency would be nice as well regarding things that impact player characters lorewise, I've tried reaching out to several staff members to get details on how big the timeskip is in the patch, a fairly inconsequential bit of information as far as patch content goes, only to have been ignored on all ends. When the patch does drop we'll suddenly figure out how many years it's been and we'll have to fill in all that time in our characters backstories, thinking about what our characters have been up to for all that time is exactly the sort of content that could keep us busy for a bit while staff is ironing out the patch.
(08-31-2023, 10:18 PM)Doria Wrote: [ -> ]I want to know how many thousand dollars people complaining here spent on eternal-development-never-released game (you know what I'm talking about) and still defending it to this day, while talking crap about disco amazing developers...

£425
(09-01-2023, 04:34 PM)Promotheus Wrote: [ -> ]Keep a level head, what's a month after having to have waited this long.
Yes some more heads up would have been nice but it's not a big leap to conclude they tried to meet the deadline they set for themselves and only spoke up when they were 100% sure they weren't going to make it.
As mentioned earlier, players have a right to be upset and devs have a right to delay if they don't feel the patch is ready yet. No right or wrong in that situation.
Keep in mind people don't get angry over things they don't care about, so at the very least this thread shows a lot of people are looking forward to the patch.

Though if the future brings any more 'super patches' after this one, for the love of god toss a story event our way every now and then to keep us occupied?

A bit more transparency would be nice as well regarding things that impact player characters lorewise, I've tried reaching out to several staff members to get details on how big the timeskip is in the patch, a fairly inconsequential bit of information as far as patch content goes, only to have been ignored on all ends. When the patch does drop we'll suddenly figure out how many years it's been and we'll have to fill in all that time in our characters backstories, thinking about what our characters have been up to for all that time is exactly the sort of content that could keep us busy for a bit while staff is ironing out the patch.

This is pretty much where I am on this. Especially on things like the issue in the last paragraph - there are some easy wins in terms of staff comms that would help smooth over a lot of community irritation.

Mind you, I also only re-appeared in the last month or so. I've not had to wait very long at all for anything!
I love everyone who helps keep this community alive. Take your time, do it well, and enjoy doing it above all else. Delays happen and that's okay. We're all looking forward to seeing what you've worked hard on for us to enjoy and we appreciate your work.

Bring back SNAC insta-killing
We've waited for this long and can wait for a little more; if nothing else, it sets higher expectations for the patch... for me, at least.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7